05 December 2017, 11:29
Patriarch Kirill hopes church division in Ukraine can be overcome
Moscow, December 5, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia said he hopes that division in the Ukrainian Orthodox Church will be overcome.
"I hope that all this division can be overcome at some point with God's mercy. And I would be happy to see an indication that Ukraine's bishops want to overcome this division. They have love in their hearts for those who have separated and, of course, they suffer from this division along with everyone," Patriarch Kirill said during a meeting with Patriarch Daniel of Romania in Moscow.
Patriarch Kirill thanked all local Orthodox churches and the Romanian patriarch personally for supporting the canonical Church in Ukraine.
The Bishops' Council held in Moscow last week considered an address by Filaret Denisenko, leader of the "Kiev Patriarchate," which contained "a request for the restoration of prayer communication with Christians who are part of the Ukrainian church schism." The letter ended with the words "I ask forgiveness for everything I have done, for having sinned in words, deeds and all my feelings, and also sincerely forgive everyone from my heart."
The Bishops' Council saw that address "as a step towards overcoming the division and restoration of church communication by those who once fell away from the unity of the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church." The Bishops' Council created a special commission for negotiations with representatives of the Ukrainian schism.
However, Yevstraty Zorya, spokesman for the "Kiev Patriarchate", later said Filaret does not believe he is in breach of the canons with respect to the accusations on which the Russian Church anathematized him in 1997 and said he has no intention of "repenting before the Russian Orthodox Church."
Filaret said on Sunday he was ready to meet with Patriarch Kirill, adding that he has not received any offers of a meeting.
- Poroshenko Bloc suggests creating working group to draft church bills 18 December 2018, 19:19
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church should be declared branch of Russian Orthodox Church - ex-president Yushchenko 18 December 2018, 19:16
- UOC denies reports that its Synod excommunicates two metropolitans 18 December 2018, 17:30
- Ukraine's Opposition Bloc demands Poroshenko declassify text of agreement with Bartholomew 18 December 2018, 12:14
- Ukrainian parliamentary speaker invites Patriarch Bartholomew to speak before Rada 17 December 2018, 19:11
- UOC Synod accuses Constantinople of deepening schism in Ukraine 17 December 2018, 19:09
- UOC Synod bans 2 of its metropolitans who attended unification assembly from religious service 17 December 2018, 19:05
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church declares itself true Сhurch in Ukraine 17 December 2018, 18:46
- Kremlin refrains from intervening in church affairs in Ukraine, sees politics behind schismatic activities - Peskov 17 December 2018, 18:39
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church says its bishop's call for participation in 'unifying assembly' fake news 15 December 2018, 20:27
- Election of leader of "single local church" in Ukraine means nothing - Russian Orthodox Church 15 December 2018, 20:11
- Poroshenko to travel with Metropolitan Epiphany to collect Constantinople's tomos in person 15 December 2018, 20:06
- Metropolitan Epiphany of "Kiev Patriarchate" elected as leader of "local Orthodox church" in Ukraine 15 December 2018, 18:39
- Russian Church satisfied that ECHR found Pussy Riot's 'punk prayer' unlawful 14 December 2018, 21:13
- Ukraine is Russian Church's canonical territory - Constantinople metropolitan 14 December 2018, 20:12
- Mogilev-Podolsky bishop delivered to Kiev by security service - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 14 December 2018, 20:08
- Russian Jewish leader outraged at declaration of year of Bandera in Ukraine's Lvov Region 14 December 2018, 17:26
- Ukrainian Church of Moscow Patriarchate praying for govt's non-interference in church affairs in front of Rada 14 December 2018, 14:20
- "Kiev Patriarchate" to nominate 2 candidates for head of Ukraine's unified church - source 14 December 2018, 13:03
- Patriarch Kirill urges political, religious leaders worldwide to defend Ukrainian Orthodox Church (updated) 14 December 2018, 11:21
- Over half of Ukrainian Orthodox archbishops return unification assembly invites to Bartholomew 13 December 2018, 18:56
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church protests over service performed by Constantinople rep in Kiev 13 December 2018, 18:55
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's main proponent of independence from Moscow rejects version of autocephaly proposed by Constantinople 13 December 2018, 18:02
- Ukraine's Culture Ministry inspecting museum collections of Kiev-Pechersk, Pochayev monasteries 13 December 2018, 17:59
- SBU says found evidence of 'inciting interethnic strife' in searches, interrogations of Ukrainian Orthodox clergy 13 December 2018, 14:45
- Russian Orthodox Church urges U.S. to change approach toward assessing religious freedom 12 December 2018, 14:14
- "Kiev Patriarchate" head threatens to disrupt unification assembly 10 December 2018, 18:28
- SBU officials didn't let Donetsk metropolitan cross contact line 10 December 2018, 16:12
- Poroshenko asks Metropolitan Onufry to help have Ukrainian naval sailors freed 10 December 2018, 11:06
- "Unification gathering" in Ukraine has no legitimacy - Russian Orthodox Church 10 December 2018, 11:02