11 January 2018, 17:39
Brother of leader of Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan calls on extremists to 'open their eyes'
Tashkent, January 11, Interfax - The brother of the leader of the terrorist organization Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan (banned in Russia), who has been released from prison, has called on people who were deceived into joining extremist movements to "open their eyes."
Zokhid Yuldashev, the older brother of Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan leader Takhir Yuldashev, was released from prison in late 2017 after serving a 23-year term, Uzbek Internet publications reported on Thursday.
The reforms of Uzbek President Shavkat Mirziyoyev are approved by the people, he said.
"I heard the recent address of the president to the parliament. His reforms are aimed at doing good things for the people. It's time for all those who were deceived like us to open their eyes," Yuldashev said.
Zokhid Yuldashev said he started a baking business after leaving prison and wants to open a confectionery workshop.
Thanking local authorities for supporting his business, Yuldashev said he wants to do good things for people.
His brother, Takhir Yuldashev, has been involved in religious and extremist organizations since 1991. In 1993, he went to Afghanistan, where he became one of the founders of the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan. Videos of his lectures and proclamations are still being disseminated by supporters of radical Muslims in the countries of the region.
According to media reports, Takhir Yuldashev was killed in Pakistan in 2009.
Dozens of human rights activists and people charged with religious extremism were released from prison after Shavkat Mirziyoyev came to power in Uzbekistan.
- Epiphany bathing held at the pole of cold in Yakutia at 63 degrees below zero 19 January 2018, 16:34
- Putin's Epiphany dip shown in media because it took place in public with many believers present - Peskov 19 January 2018, 16:13
- Putin takes part in Orthodox Epiphany bathing in Tver Region monastery 19 January 2018, 11:38
- Russian Orthodox priests to consecrate all oceans on Epiphany eve 18 January 2018, 15:58
- Continued attacks on churches of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 17 January 2018, 16:42
- Priest Grozovsky to appeal 14-year pedophilia sentence 17 January 2018, 10:32
- Priest Grozovsky gets 14 years in high-security prison for pedophilia 17 January 2018, 10:12
- Directorate of Muslims of Uzbekistan disagrees with U.S. State Dept analysis of religious freedom in republic 15 January 2018, 16:24
- Putin's comparison of Lenin Mausoleum to veneration of holy relics not sensational - Peskov 15 January 2018, 14:08
- Putin defines New Valaam Monastery relics saved by Finland as unifying force 15 January 2018, 10:44
- Putin's words about similarity of Communism, Christianity smooth things over Lenin Mausoleum - CPRF 15 January 2018, 10:43
- Communist ideology similar to Christianity - Putin 15 January 2018, 10:00
- Russians have become more intolerant to treachery, abortions and homosexual connections for twenty years - poll 11 January 2018, 17:56
- Brother of leader of Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan calls on extremists to 'open their eyes' 11 January 2018, 17:39
- Orthodox children in Syrian Latakia received Christmas gifts from Moscow parish 09 January 2018, 18:41
- St. Petersburg among Russia's top three most popular places to spend Orthodox Christmas 09 January 2018, 14:36
- Patriarch Kirill concerned by social disintegration 07 January 2018, 16:57
- Church not going to hinder expert work on "Yekaterinburg remains" - Patriarch Kirill 07 January 2018, 16:56
- Putin offers Christmas greetings to Orthodox Christians 07 January 2018, 11:18
- Russia can have twice as many churches in 30 years - Metropolitan Hilarion 26 December 2017, 18:26
- Not less than 120 churches in Syria need to be restored - Metropolitan Hilarion 26 December 2017, 18:02
- Priestly ordination gives Feodor Konyukhov special power, his wife believes 25 December 2017, 16:31
- No one needs conflict in Donbass, it weakens all those involved - Patriarch Kirill 25 December 2017, 13:06
- All conditions of prisoner exchange in Donbass approved - Patriarch Kirill 25 December 2017, 11:43
- All ethnic and religious groups, parties and armed groups invited to Syrian National Dialogue Congress - Shoigu 22 December 2017, 17:40
- Scharansky is impressed by positive changes in life of Russian Jews 22 December 2017, 10:51
- Vucic invites Putin to Belgrade for 800th anniversary of autocephaly of Serbian Orthodox Church 20 December 2017, 10:43
- Governors should be evaluated for their affairs, not longevity of their rule, Metropolitan Hilarion believes 18 December 2017, 20:39
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls provocation Trump's decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel capital 18 December 2017, 16:01
- Not only Jews should participate in visits to Auschwitz, president of the Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia believes 18 December 2017, 14:52