17 January 2018, 10:12
Priest Grozovsky gets 14 years in high-security prison for pedophilia
Priozersk, January 17, Interfax - The Priozersk City Court in the Leningrad Region proclaimed a sentence on priest Gleb Grozovsky on pedophilia counts on Wednesday; it took more than four years to investigate the case.
"To find Gleb Viktorovich Grozovsky guilty [...] and to sentence him to 14 years in a high-security prison and one year of custodial restraint," Judge Lyudmila Yashina said.
Only the preamble and the judicial disposition were read out, as the case was heard in camera.
Grozovsky said in his final statement on January 10 "there was no event of a crime" and he was counting on "humane understanding and a fair decision." The final statement was released by the priest's defense.
The prosecution asked a court to sentence Grozovsky, to 15 years in a high-security prison and deprive him of the right to engage in activities involving the upbringing of children for another 12 years.
The Investigative Committee's branch in St. Petersburg reported the completion of the investigation into Grozovsky's case on June 2, 2017.
Earlier reports said Grozovsky was taken from Moscow to St. Petersburg on September 17, 2016 after being extradited from Israel to Russia. He was charged with sexual crimes against three schoolgirls.
According to the investigators, Grozovsky, who was a priest at the Ascension (Sophia) Cathedral in Tsarskoye Selo, molested several children younger than 14 at an Orthodox children's camp on the island of Konevets, Priozyorsk District, Leningrad Region. According to the investigators, Grozovsky committed the same crimes in June 2013 in Greece at the Orthodox children's camp Philadelphia. Grozovsky hid from prosecution and an arrest warrant was issued for him. He was declared internationally wanted in October 2013.
He was suspended from church duties for the period of the investigation.
- Russian Orthodox Church planning to address issue of pastoral direction for Russians on territory of Constantinople Patriarchate (updated) 16 October 2018, 19:08
- Dodon proposes hosting Pan-Orthodox Council in Moldova 16 October 2018, 18:00
- Peskov: Kremlin concerned by relations between Russian Orthodox Church and Constantinople 16 October 2018, 15:47
- Poroshenko to propose granting Constantinople permanent use of St. Andrew's Church in Kiev 16 October 2018, 13:57
- Russian Orthodox Church takes path of self-isolation - Poroshenko 16 October 2018, 13:10
- Holy Synod of Russian Orthodox Church appoints new bishops to administer parishes in Europe, U.S 16 October 2018, 11:45
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church leader attended Russian Synod meeting, supported its decision - Metropolitan Hilarion 16 October 2018, 10:14
- Belarusian Orthodox Church joins Holy Synod's decision to break up with Constantinople 16 October 2018, 10:10
- Former primate of Orthodox Church in U.S. opposes U.S. policy about church in Ukraine 15 October 2018, 22:24
- Moscow Patriarchate renews calls for Constantinople to refrain from steps undermining Church unity - Russian Synod 15 October 2018, 22:21
- Russian Church hopes Ukrainian believers will not be harassed 15 October 2018, 22:17
- Russian Orthodox Church hopes Patriarch of Constantinople will change his mind on Ukraine 15 October 2018, 22:13
- Further Eucharistic communion with Patriarchate of Constantinople deemed impossible - Russian Synod's decision 15 October 2018, 22:10
- Court throws out Pentecostals' suit seeking agreement with penitentiary service on prison visits in Astrakhan 15 October 2018, 17:56
- Lukashenko blames politicians for events in Orthodox Church 15 October 2018, 15:24
- Holy Synod of Russian Orthodox Church discussing possible response to Constantinople's actions 15 October 2018, 14:30
- Lukashenko promises to support unity of Orthodox faith 15 October 2018, 13:46
- Police release 100 people detained near Kiev Monastery of the Caves on Sunday – media 15 October 2018, 13:43
- Russian Security Council discussed Constantinople decisions on Russian Church in Ukraine on Friday – Peskov 15 October 2018, 13:40
- Patriarch Kirill thanks Lukashenko for Belarusian govt's good relations with Belarusian Orthodox Church 15 October 2018, 11:32
- Minsk worried about possible schism in Orthodox Church – Lukashenko 15 October 2018, 11:29
- Lukashenko meets with Patriarch Kirill 15 October 2018, 11:09
- Ukraine never was, never will be Russian Orthodox Church's canonical territory – Poroshenko 15 October 2018, 11:01
- Ukrainian authorities to respect decision by flock who want to keep unity with Russian Orthodox Church – Poroshenko 15 October 2018, 10:58
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for continued Orthodox unity 13 October 2018, 18:07
- Constantinople Patriarchate still does not see Filaret Denisenko as patriarch - Phanar hierarch 13 October 2018, 18:05
- Constantinople Patriarchate's decision on Ukraine makes impossible Russian Orthodox Church's unity with it - Metropolitan Hilarion 13 October 2018, 18:02
- Putin, Russian Security Council permanent members discuss situation of Russian Orthodox Church in Ukraine - Peskov 13 October 2018, 17:59
- Constantinople Patriarchate's decision on Ukraine makes impossible Russian Orthodox Church's unity with it - Metropolitan Hilarion 13 October 2018, 11:02
- Lavrov calls Patriarch Bartholomew's actions on Ukraine as provocation backed by U.S. (updated) 12 October 2018, 19:35