22 February 2018, 11:25
Tajik Salafis intending to join terrorists in Syria dressed up as women to escape police
Dushanbe, February 22, Interfax - The police have detained two followers of the radical Salafism movement which is banned in Tajikistan, Interfax was told at the press center of the Tajik Interior Ministry on Thursday.
According to the ministry, 32-year-old Akmal Safarov and 35-year-old Alisher Nuraliyev, residents of a district bordering on Afghanistan, were wanted on charges of recruiting people for further participation in an armed conflict in a foreign state.
The defendants intended to travel to Syria via Kazakhstan to join terrorists, the ministry said.
To avoid detention they dressed up as pious women but were stopped by officers of the department for combating organized crime, a press officer said.
The Salafi movement or Salafist movement or Salafism is an ultra-conservative reform movement within Sunni Islam that advocates a return to the traditions of the salaf, who are the first three generations of Muslims after the Prophet Muhammed. Salafism is often likened to Wahhabism.
In secular Muslim countries such as Central Asian republics Salafism is regarded as an extremist movement.
The Supreme Court of Tajikistan on January 8, 2009 banned Salafism in the territory of the country and on December 8, 2014 declared it an extremist movement.
Earlier the Tajik authorities announced that most of the Tajik citizens fighting in Syria and Iraq on the side of ISIL (banned in Russia) were followers of Salafism.
- About 1 billion rubles were collected for building the main church of Russian Military Forces 21 September 2018, 18:29
- Serbian Orthodox Church opposes Constantinople's claim to determine Ukrainian Church's future 21 September 2018, 16:57
- Moscow lacks at least 20 synagogues 21 September 2018, 13:13
- Metropolitan Onufry is Ukraine's sole canonical Orthodox leader - Jerusalem Church's exarch 20 September 2018, 18:45
- Jehovah's Witnesses detained in Perm 20 September 2018, 15:23
- Poroshenko promises state protection for clergy, laity of Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Moscow Patriarchate who join unified local church 20 September 2018, 14:11
- Putin attends sanctification ceremony for foundation stone of military's main church at Patriot Park 20 September 2018, 10:00
- Russian Church to help Syria return to peaceful life - Patriarch Kirill 19 September 2018, 10:00
- Putin, Erdogan didn't discuss conflict between Russian Orthodox Church, Constantinople – Peskov 18 September 2018, 12:23
- Constantinople exarch in Kiev collects works of Ukrainian nationalists 18 September 2018, 10:20
- Constantinople's exarch says willing to cooperate with "Kiev Patriarchate" 17 September 2018, 19:01
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls Constantinople policy mean 17 September 2018, 17:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion recommends Constantinople to form "one local Church in America" 17 September 2018, 17:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion accuses U.S. of deliberately destroying Russian Orthodox Church 17 September 2018, 11:32
- Russian Orthodox Church says Patriarchate of Constantinople status might be reviewed 14 September 2018, 21:55
- Patriarch Kirill's spokesman likens state of Moscow-Constantinople relations with yellow traffic light 14 September 2018, 21:53
- Moscow Patriarchate suspends mentioning of Patriarch Bartholomew in prayers at church services 14 September 2018, 21:48
- Constantinople Patriarchate has no right to interfere in Ukrainian church affairs - Metropolitan Onufry 14 September 2018, 15:29
- Constantinople has 'tradition' of encouraging schisms in Russian Orthodox Church - Patriarch Kirill 14 September 2018, 15:14
- Moldovan president proposes outlawing gay prides 14 September 2018, 14:31
- Kremlin following current session of Holy Synod of Russian Orthodox Church - Peskov 14 September 2018, 14:23
- UOC official believes most of its parishioners won't leave for Constantinople's "autocephaly" 14 September 2018, 09:43
- Russian Orthodox Church Holy Synod to hold extraordinary meeting on Sept 14 13 September 2018, 20:55
- Situation surrounding Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Kiev is state's brutal interference in Church affairs - Russian Foreign Ministry 13 September 2018, 17:15
- Metropolitan Hilarion meets with apostolic nuncio to Russia 13 September 2018, 14:07
- Greece's visa denial to Metropolitan Varsonofy scandalous - Moscow Patriarchate 13 September 2018, 13:06
- Constantinople's actions can result in a schism in Orthodoxy, exceeding the Great Schism of 1054, Russian church official says 13 September 2018, 13:03
- The Russian Orthodox Church urges UOC believers to unite around Metropolitan Onufry 13 September 2018, 11:53
- Constantinople legates arrive in Ukraine - sources 12 September 2018, 19:31
- Metropolitan Onufry calls on flock to stay faithful to the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church 12 September 2018, 17:08