01 March 2018, 18:40
Patriarch Kirill: 50 Orthodox Churches recently taken over in Ukraine
Moscow, March 1, Interfax - Fifty churches of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church have recently been taken over in Ukraine, Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia said.
"The situation is very difficult in Ukraine. There is real persecution of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church going on. Fifty churches have recently been taken over. Attacks on churches are taking place continually, priests are being battered [...] There is a video in which a priest in his robe is bloodied, he is called an occupant, and he is a Ukrainian who was born in Ukraine and speaks only Ukrainian. He is battered only because he is in the canonical Church, which the local authorities call an occupant Church," the patriarch said in an interview with Bulgarian journalists before his visit to Bulgaria.
The patriarch said he regrets the fact that Ukraine is not criticized in the West for violations of human rights and religious freedoms, including "massive violations involving the use of violence. All these things were caught on television and registered in various documents."
Patriarch Kirill said Ukrainian society is currently highly divided, and what is happening in Donbass "is a civil war: one part of Ukraine did not accept what was taking place in the other part." The only force that has peacekeeping potential is the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, because it has members both in the east and west of the country, he said.
"We do hope that all this political turbulence in Ukraine will pass and the people will have a calm life again, that human rights and religious freedoms will be respected again and the Ukrainian Orthodox Church will continue its service. There is hope of this. We are praying for it," the patriarch said.
- The Museum of Ball opened in Sochi is decorated with frescoes painted by church artists 20 June 2018, 17:39
- Patriarch Kirill pays attention of UN Secretary-General to harmful for humanity consequences of giving up traditional morals 20 June 2018, 17:10
- Patriarch Kirill urges UN Secretary-General to help Middle Eastern Christians return home 20 June 2018, 16:51
- Polygamy banned in Turkmenistan 19 June 2018, 17:01
- Foundation stone to the Church of Holy Doctor the Passion-Bearer Eugeny Botkin laid in the Urals 19 June 2018, 13:33
- Helicopter with the Icon of the Mother of God flew over all WC-2018 objects in Saransk 19 June 2018, 13:06
- A church was built in native village of the first female cosmonaut to mark the 55th anniversary of her flight 18 June 2018, 12:46
- Church and Russian Health Ministry to chair the program of helping Syrian children 18 June 2018, 12:29
- Several thousand people participated in parade organized by LGBT activists in downtown Kiev 18 June 2018, 10:53
- The Ukrainian church schism legalization to cut into parts body of global Orthodoxy - Metropolitan Hilarion 18 June 2018, 10:34
- Moscow Patriarchate surprised by Patriarch Bartholomew's words that people of Ukraine are outside canonical Church 18 June 2018, 10:26
- Best player of Russia - Saudi Arabia match thanked God for the victory 15 June 2018, 17:01
- Football World Cup can close up people, mufti Tajuddin believes 15 June 2018, 15:00
- The holy relics of St. Seraphim of Sarov are brought to Oxford 15 June 2018, 10:27
- Putin lauds Russian Muslim communities' role in maintaining interethnic, interfaith peace 15 June 2018, 10:02
- Rahmon calls on Tajik people to display political vigilance, have modest feasts on Eid al-Fitr 14 June 2018, 15:04
- Russia's synagogues are ready to meet 10,000 Jewish football fans 13 June 2018, 18:34
- Orthodox believers pray before the Hong Kong Icon of the Mother of God for the future of the Church in China 13 June 2018, 17:18
- Patriarch Kirill wishes success to Russian football team 13 June 2018, 16:11
- Nazarbayev invites pope to Astana for congress of religions 07 June 2018, 18:35
- Head of Byelorussian Ministry of Interior about LGBT: they won't go anywhere 07 June 2018, 16:54
- Russian priest stands for sobriety during Football World Cup 07 June 2018, 14:36
- Icons loaned to Lankton's museum in U.S. returned to Russia - Culture Ministry 06 June 2018, 18:07
- Russian Foreign Ministry condemns terror attack against Muslim clerics in Kabul 06 June 2018, 17:48
- Dodon stresses importance of Orthodoxy among Moldavia’s national priorities 06 June 2018, 14:43
- Investigators estimate price of icons, which weren't returned to Russia from U.S., at about 26 mln rubles 05 June 2018, 18:16
- Russian court arrests owner of U.S. museum of Russian icons in absentia, issues int'l arrest warrant 05 June 2018, 18:14
- Constantinople Patriarchate official to discuss Ukrainian Church's future in Georgia 05 June 2018, 18:10
- Football cup among homeless people to be held in Moscow on the eve of the World Cup 04 June 2018, 12:50
- Staging of Babchenko's death immoral deed - Metropolitan Hilarion 04 June 2018, 10:47