19 April 2018, 12:04
Rada backs Poroshenko request for Ecumenical Patriarch on setting up autocephalous local Orthodox Church in Ukraine (updated)
Kiev, April 19, Interfax - The Ukrainian Verkhovnaya Rada has supported President Pyotr Poroshenko's request for Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew on issuing a tomos on granting autocephaly to the Orthodox Church in Ukraine.
The resolution was supported by 268 parliamentarians at a plenary session on Thursday. The minimum number of votes for the resolution to be passed is 226.
The Opposition Bloc faction said it would vote against request for Ecumenical Patriarch on issuing a tomos on granting autocephaly to the Orthodox Church in Ukraine.
"Our faction is against this decree and insists that church issues should be resolved only at the level of inter-church dialogue conducted by the heads of the churches. We will vote against it," Opposition Bloc faction co-chairman Yury Boiko said in the parliament on Thursday.
The faction has a different vision, he said. "We believe that the presidential campaign starts today. But it is sad and bad that the presidential campaign starts with the use of the most sensitive issue that now exists in society - the issue of religious issues," Boiko said.
The position of the Opposition Bloc is that the state should not touch religious issues, he said. "All these things should be resolved by the heads of religious establishments and believers. And politicians have a right to participate in this process only as regular laymen," Boiko said.
The autocephaly of the Orthodox Church in Ukraine is a geopolitical issue, considering that Russia has been using the Church as leverage, Poroshenko said earlier today in his address to the Verkhovnaya Rada.
"This is far from being a mere Church affair! This is about our final independence from Moscow. It is not just religion, it is geopolitics. It is national security and our defense in the hybrid war because the Kremlin sees the Russian Orthodox Church as a key instrument of influence on Ukraine," Poroshenko said.
- Moscow Mayor Sobyanin proposes to leave Lubyanskaya Square as it is for now 26 February 2021, 22:42
- Acting leader of Abkhazian Diocese is member of Georgian Church - Georgian Patriarchate 26 February 2021, 17:44
- Search underway on premises of Sredneuralsky Convent 26 February 2021, 17:41
- Defrocked priest Sergy's pretrial detention extended until end of spring 26 February 2021, 10:00
- Armenian Apostolic Church urges politicians to start talks 25 February 2021, 15:04
- Omsk resident fined 375,000 rubles for excusing terror attack in New Zealand 25 February 2021, 11:48
- Yakutian shaman Gabyshev charged with violence against police officer 25 February 2021, 10:45
- Meeting between Russian patriarch, Pope doesn't improve Christians' position in Middle East contrary to expectations - Metropolitan Hilarion 24 February 2021, 10:00
- Muscovites will choose between monuments to Dzerzhinsky, Alexander Nevsky on Lubyanka Square 20 February 2021, 10:03
- Former schema-monk Sergy admits giving bribe amounting to 'millions of dollars' 18 February 2021, 16:30
- World Russian People's Council backs idea of Ivan III monument on Lubyanka Square in Moscow 18 February 2021, 16:11
- FJCR suggests reinstalling fountain at Lubyanka 18 February 2021, 15:30
- Suspected organizer of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Russia's Kemerovo region placed under house arrest 17 February 2021, 14:11
- Police detain man who splashed Holocaust monument in Yerevan with paint 17 February 2021, 13:44
- The giant castle of corona cannibal to be burned in Russia on Maslenitsa 17 February 2021, 12:08
- Lawyers' association supports bill limiting surrogate motherhood in Russia 17 February 2021, 10:00
- FSB detain people suspected of financing ISIL under guise of donations to mosques in Crimea, Tatarstan 16 February 2021, 15:19
- World Union of Old Believers backs idea to place Ivan III monument on Moscow's Lubyanka Square 16 February 2021, 09:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion concerned by detention on non-participants in unsanctioned rallies 15 February 2021, 09:17
- Moscow court arrests 2 Jehovah's Witnesses 15 February 2021, 09:15
- Foreign Intelligence Service head compares those who insult WWII veterans to Nazi collaborators 12 February 2021, 11:53
- Congress of the Leaders of World and Traditional Religions in Kazakhstan postponed to next year 12 February 2021, 11:07
- Sputnik V vaccine halal - Gamaleya Center expert 12 February 2021, 10:03
- Court denies former schema hegumen Sergy right to participate in dispute over church on territory of Sredneuralsky Convent 10 February 2021, 20:39
- Several organizers of Jehovah's Witnesses cell detained in Moscow 10 February 2021, 11:43
- Resident of Russia's Dagestan jailed for 10 years for killing local rabbi 10 February 2021, 11:14
- Tajik authorities classify sentence of opposition Islamic party leader 09 February 2021, 17:35
- The International Day of Human Brotherhood celebrates in Russia for the first time 09 February 2021, 10:13
- Tolerance lessons have already been held for half a million schoolchildren in Russia 09 February 2021, 10:04
- Moscow City Court upholds arrest of schema-hegumen Sergy 09 February 2021, 10:00