04 May 2018, 10:33
Suspected organizer of Aum Shinrikyo sect's unit arrested in Moscow
Moscow, May 4, Interfax - Moscow's Basmanny District Court on Thursday authorized the arrest of Mikhail Ustyantsev, who is suspected of establishing a unit of the Aum Shinrikyo terrorist sect.
"Following the investigator's petition, Ustyantsev has been remanded into custody until June 12 as a restraining measure," court spokesperson Yunona Tsaryova told Interfax.
Ustyantsev has been charged with setting up a terrorist community, namely a stable group of people who teamed up in advance in order to perpetrate terrorist actions and take part in them (Parts 1 and 2 of Article 205.4 of the Russian Criminal Code).
Ustyantsev was detained as part of a "criminal investigation opened in 2015 against unknown persons who had set up a community of Aum Shinrikyo followers in the form of a religious group, the activity of which involved violence against citizens, in the territory of Moscow and St. Petersburg no later than 2011."
The Russian Investigative Committee announced in April 2016 that it was investigating a criminal case opened into the establishment of a group whose activity involves violence against citizens and causes other harm to their health.
"The organizers of this community exerted physical and psychological pressure on citizens, forcing them to make donations and give away their property," the Investigative Committee said then.
According to the community, from 2012 to 2014 this Aum Shinrikyo unit carried out its unlawful actions via the Internet, collecting donations at meetings of Aum Shinrikyo followers.
Aum Shinrikyo is a religious syncretic extremist sect founded by Shoko Asahara.
Aum Shinrikyo gained a worldwide notoriety after a terror attack in the Tokyo subway on March 20, 1995. In five coordinated attacks, the sect members released poisonous gas sarin in the Tokyo metro. A total of 13 people were killed and about 6,000 injured in the attacks.
Thirteen members of the sect, including Asahara, were sentenced to capital punishment later. A total of 188 Aum Shinrikyo members were charged in this case.
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's Metropolitan Simeon to attend "unification" council - media 15 November 2018, 22:20
- U.S. embassy concerned by Kiev's St. Andrew Church attack 15 November 2018, 19:25
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church warns of schemes using its bishops' signatures at unification assembly 15 November 2018, 15:46
- Unknown individuals attack St. Andrew's Church, transferred to Ecumenical Patriarchate, in Kiev 15 November 2018, 15:34
- Dissenting bishops of canonical Ukrainian Church might ignore 'unifying assembly' - Metropolitan Hilarion 15 November 2018, 14:56
- Constantinople deceiving supporters of Ukrainian autocephaly - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 15 November 2018, 12:11
- "Kiev Patriarchate" may nominate Filaret for head of new church 15 November 2018, 12:02
- Date of unification assembly not known yet - "Kiev Patriarchate" 15 November 2018, 11:10
- Upcoming 'uniting' assembly in Ukraine to have negligible canonical consequences - Russian Orthodox Church 14 November 2018, 21:58
- "Unification" council to be held in Ukraine on Nov 22 - media (updated) 14 November 2018, 21:54
- Poroshenko had angry phone call with Metropolitan Onufry - media 14 November 2018, 15:36
- Poroshenko administration refuses to show journalists agreement with Patriarch Bartholomew 14 November 2018, 13:58
- Ukrainian state to protect right to choose church jurisdiction - Poroshenko to Ukrainian hierarchs of Moscow Patriarchate 14 November 2018, 11:15
- Metropolitan Hilarion, Deputy Foreign Minister Karasin discuss Syria's humanitarian crisis, Christians' protection 14 November 2018, 11:08
- Duma proposes drawing up map of Greek churches, monasteries Russian Orthodox believers can visit 14 November 2018, 11:05
- Poroshenko phones Metropolitan Onufry, surprised why archbishops did not come - source 13 November 2018, 21:27
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church eagerly wants to protect its name - Bishop's Council 13 November 2018, 20:00
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church bishops refuse to take part in creation of autocephalous church 13 November 2018, 19:25
- Archbishops' Council of Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church ready to meet with Ukrainian president, but on church soil - statement 13 November 2018, 19:05
- Poroshenko no-show at Kiev Monastery of the Caves to meet with Ukrainian Church clergy 13 November 2018, 17:13
- Metropolitan of Kiev denounces attempts to turn church into 'political tool' 13 November 2018, 17:03
- Chernigov clergy remain committed to canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church 13 November 2018, 16:59
- Zhitomir Diocese supports Metropolitan Onufry 13 November 2018, 10:49
- Serbian Church Council denounces Constantinople's actions in Ukraine 12 November 2018, 18:41
- Putin stresses importance of friendly relations between Russia, Muslim countries 12 November 2018, 15:01
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church not to participate in unifying assembly – chancellor 12 November 2018, 13:29
- Patriarch Kirill sends priest to Istanbul to care for Russian believers after severance of relations with Constantinople 12 November 2018, 13:25
- Unification assembly in Ukraine unlikely to be held before end of Nov - media 09 November 2018, 17:20
- Lugansk Diocese supports Metropolitan Onufry 09 November 2018, 10:59
- Rector of Moscow Theological Academy added to Mirotvorets database (updated) 08 November 2018, 18:11