07 May 2018, 16:08
Patriarch Kirill wishes Putin health, strength to fulfill presidential tasks
Moscow, May 7, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia led a thanksgiving service to mark President Vladimir Putin's inauguration on Monday.
Following the presidential inauguration ceremony, Putin went to the Kremlin's Annunciation Cathedral, at the entrance to which the patriarch was waiting for him. They went into the church together.
The prayers contained a request the God give the president "strength and wisdom to rule the country, creating peace and well-being in it."
At the end of the service, Patriarch Kirill chanted a prayer traditionally used in this church service: "Make him wise and direct him to perform this great service without any impediments."
After this, the patriarch told Putin on behalf of clergy, monks, and believers that all these people supported Putin, seeing him as "not only as a leader who successfully rules the country, but also as a man faithful to the fatherland" and as a person "for whom the spiritual tradition is his own tradition, for whom the material and spiritual well-being of people is the goal of his presidential term."
The patriarch wished the president strength and health to fulfill all of the pledges he gave in his inauguration speech.
As a gift from members of the Russian Orthodox Church's Holy Synod, the patriarch presented Putin with the 18th-century icon of the Savior from the patriarch's sacristy. This icon reflects "the beautiful and spiritual tradition" of the Russian people, the patriarch said.
Before leaving the church, Putin venerated the church's icon of the Annunciation of Our Mother of God.
This is Patriarch Kirill's second church service on the occasion of a presidential inauguration. The tradition of holding a service "for the beginning of a good undertaking" was originated by the late Patriarch Alexy II, the predecessor of Patriarch Kirill, who performed thanksgiving services in 2000, 2004, and 2008.
This is Putin's fourth such service.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14