21 May 2018, 11:50
Sexual minorities hold their first successful parade in Chisinau
Chisinau, May 21, Interfax - Sexual minorities have held their first successful pride parade in Moldova; they walked along Ismail and Bucuresti streets to the Palace of the Republic.
Orthodox Church members tried to thwart the parade, but the police stopped them and prevented clashes, an Interfax correspondent reported from the ground.
Attempted parades of the past two years were cut short two blocks from Ismail Street, on the junction of Bucuresti and Armenian streets. Orthodox Church members were heatedly expressing their indignation after the parade went past the junction and reached the center of the city.
The parade covered a distance of about three kilometers, which was record for Chisinau. None of the earlier parades went for more than one kilometer.
This year's parade also had the biggest turnout, which the police estimated at about 500 people.
The parade was successful thanks to the police protection. Thousands of police officers were escorting the parade on both sides of the street. Besides, all streets crossing Bucuresti and other streets in the center of Chisinau were closed for traffic.
Metropolitan Vladimir of Chisinau and all Moldova condemned the parade and demanded that the Chisinau city administration prohibit it from being held. The Orthodox Church organized a march in defense of family values on May 12. President Igor Dodon and his family took part in the march and spoke in defense of traditional family and Orthodox values.
- Metropolitan Alexander (Drabinko) who proclaimed himself Constantinople cleric says each Ukrainian orthodox bishop should choose whose side to belong 17 October 2018, 10:12
- Russian Orthodox Church planning to address issue of pastoral direction for Russians on territory of Constantinople Patriarchate (updated) 16 October 2018, 19:08
- Dodon proposes hosting Pan-Orthodox Council in Moldova 16 October 2018, 18:00
- Peskov: Kremlin concerned by relations between Russian Orthodox Church and Constantinople 16 October 2018, 15:47
- Poroshenko to propose granting Constantinople permanent use of St. Andrew's Church in Kiev 16 October 2018, 13:57
- Russian Orthodox Church takes path of self-isolation - Poroshenko 16 October 2018, 13:10
- Holy Synod of Russian Orthodox Church appoints new bishops to administer parishes in Europe, U.S 16 October 2018, 11:45
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church leader attended Russian Synod meeting, supported its decision - Metropolitan Hilarion 16 October 2018, 10:14
- Belarusian Orthodox Church joins Holy Synod's decision to break up with Constantinople 16 October 2018, 10:10
- Former primate of Orthodox Church in U.S. opposes U.S. policy about church in Ukraine 15 October 2018, 22:24
- Moscow Patriarchate renews calls for Constantinople to refrain from steps undermining Church unity - Russian Synod 15 October 2018, 22:21
- Russian Church hopes Ukrainian believers will not be harassed 15 October 2018, 22:17
- Russian Orthodox Church hopes Patriarch of Constantinople will change his mind on Ukraine 15 October 2018, 22:13
- Further Eucharistic communion with Patriarchate of Constantinople deemed impossible - Russian Synod's decision 15 October 2018, 22:10
- Court throws out Pentecostals' suit seeking agreement with penitentiary service on prison visits in Astrakhan 15 October 2018, 17:56
- Lukashenko blames politicians for events in Orthodox Church 15 October 2018, 15:24
- Holy Synod of Russian Orthodox Church discussing possible response to Constantinople's actions 15 October 2018, 14:30
- Lukashenko promises to support unity of Orthodox faith 15 October 2018, 13:46
- Police release 100 people detained near Kiev Monastery of the Caves on Sunday – media 15 October 2018, 13:43
- Russian Security Council discussed Constantinople decisions on Russian Church in Ukraine on Friday – Peskov 15 October 2018, 13:40
- Patriarch Kirill thanks Lukashenko for Belarusian govt's good relations with Belarusian Orthodox Church 15 October 2018, 11:32
- Minsk worried about possible schism in Orthodox Church – Lukashenko 15 October 2018, 11:29
- Lukashenko meets with Patriarch Kirill 15 October 2018, 11:09
- Ukraine never was, never will be Russian Orthodox Church's canonical territory – Poroshenko 15 October 2018, 11:01
- Ukrainian authorities to respect decision by flock who want to keep unity with Russian Orthodox Church – Poroshenko 15 October 2018, 10:58
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for continued Orthodox unity 13 October 2018, 18:07
- Constantinople Patriarchate still does not see Filaret Denisenko as patriarch - Phanar hierarch 13 October 2018, 18:05
- Constantinople Patriarchate's decision on Ukraine makes impossible Russian Orthodox Church's unity with it - Metropolitan Hilarion 13 October 2018, 18:02
- Putin, Russian Security Council permanent members discuss situation of Russian Orthodox Church in Ukraine - Peskov 13 October 2018, 17:59
- Constantinople Patriarchate's decision on Ukraine makes impossible Russian Orthodox Church's unity with it - Metropolitan Hilarion 13 October 2018, 11:02