21 May 2018, 11:50
Sexual minorities hold their first successful parade in Chisinau
Chisinau, May 21, Interfax - Sexual minorities have held their first successful pride parade in Moldova; they walked along Ismail and Bucuresti streets to the Palace of the Republic.
Orthodox Church members tried to thwart the parade, but the police stopped them and prevented clashes, an Interfax correspondent reported from the ground.
Attempted parades of the past two years were cut short two blocks from Ismail Street, on the junction of Bucuresti and Armenian streets. Orthodox Church members were heatedly expressing their indignation after the parade went past the junction and reached the center of the city.
The parade covered a distance of about three kilometers, which was record for Chisinau. None of the earlier parades went for more than one kilometer.
This year's parade also had the biggest turnout, which the police estimated at about 500 people.
The parade was successful thanks to the police protection. Thousands of police officers were escorting the parade on both sides of the street. Besides, all streets crossing Bucuresti and other streets in the center of Chisinau were closed for traffic.
Metropolitan Vladimir of Chisinau and all Moldova condemned the parade and demanded that the Chisinau city administration prohibit it from being held. The Orthodox Church organized a march in defense of family values on May 12. President Igor Dodon and his family took part in the march and spoke in defense of traditional family and Orthodox values.
- New church of Ukraine in contact with SBU, but doesn't coordinate actions – Filaret 21 January 2019, 12:39
- Group of Ukrainian parliamentarians challenges constitutionality of law obliging Ukrainian Orthodox Church to change its name 21 January 2019, 12:06
- Patriarch of Antioch says opposes actions aimed at dividing Orthodox 18 January 2019, 14:34
- Most valuables not missing from Kiev-Pechersk Lavra - deputy minister 18 January 2019, 14:32
- Putin invited to Belgrade to attend consecration of Cathedral of Saint Sava 18 January 2019, 14:15
- Church takeovers leitmotif of Ukrainian presidential campaign - Russian Orthodox Church 18 January 2019, 14:07
- Enthronement of Yepifaniy to be held on Feb 3 18 January 2019, 12:16
- Russia to return page of ancient Gospel to Serbia, Belgrade to return Roerich's pictures to Russia – Putin 18 January 2019, 12:13
- Ukraine's Opposition Bloc to appeal bill on subordination of religious communities to Constitutional Court 17 January 2019, 17:31
- Ukrainian law on joining new church makes seizing churches easier - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 17 January 2019, 17:24
- Rada passes bill on transition of communities from one church to another 17 January 2019, 17:12
- Attempts are being made to divide Antioch Church - al-Assad 17 January 2019, 15:02
- Georgian Church to voice stance on Ukrainian autocephaly, govt not interfering - FM 16 January 2019, 18:58
- Metropolitan of Zaporozhye accuses Ukraine of attempt to 'drag God by his beard' 16 January 2019, 16:11
- Ukraine wants to re-register Kiev-Pechersk Lavra or take it away from UOC of Moscow Patriarchate - Metropolitan Pavel 16 January 2019, 16:03
- Putin describes establishment of new church in Ukraine as 'dangerous politicking' (updated) 16 January 2019, 13:43
- Inter-confessional accord in Ukraine sacrificed to Poroshenko's campaign - Putin 16 January 2019, 11:15
- Poroshenko guarantees protection to those who remain faithful to Moscow Patriarchate 15 January 2019, 16:50
- Homeless man detained on suspicion of setting fire to building at Kiev-Pechersk Lavra 15 January 2019, 14:25
- Fire at Kiev-Pechersk Lavra's building contained to area of 400 sq m 14 January 2019, 21:02
- Kiev-Pechersk Lavra's 2-storey building on fire 14 January 2019, 19:06
- Rights activists report detention of 40 LGBT in Chechnya, Grozny official says it's 'absolute lie' 14 January 2019, 15:13
- Poroshenko decorates 2 metropolitans who joined new church from UOC with Order of Prince Yaroslav Mudry 14 January 2019, 13:41
- Media review: "Metropolitan Hilarion: Russian Orthodox Church was born in Kiev, not in Moscow or St. Petersburg" 14 January 2019, 12:14
- The Ukrainian Orthodox Church compared Ukraine's new church to "Titanic" 11 January 2019, 18:52
- Georgian president doesn't hurry to congratulate Ukraine on granting autocephaly 11 January 2019, 18:47
- Culture Minister's statement on icons missing from Kiev-Pechersk Lavra is provocation - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 11 January 2019, 17:35
- Georgian Church needs time to decide on recognizing Ukraine's autocephaly 10 January 2019, 14:39
- Tomos returns from Istanbul to Ukraine 10 January 2019, 14:34
- If Georgia recognizes Ukraine's autocephaly, Russia to recognize Abkhaz Church's independence - Burjanadze 09 January 2019, 18:55