22 May 2018, 16:50
Moldovan president says LGBT march in Chisinau is alien to his country
Chisinau, May 22, Interfax - Moldovan President Igor Dodon has criticized the government and police for permitting a march of sexual minorities in Chisinau on May 19.
"I strongly denounce the authorities and police for facilitating the organization of this march. These values are alien to us, and I don't accept them. I favor traditional family values and the observance of Orthodox traditions," Dodon said at a press conference on Tuesday.
"The police's behavior was unacceptable in that they took measures against those who wished to prevent the march from being held," he said.
"If the government wanted this march to be held so badly, they should have held it in the government building. There was no need to block traffic throughout the entire city because of a few dozen people," Dodon said.
Dodon said he was not against development of relations with the West, but "they should not force values alien to us [on us] so persistently."
"Ninety-eight percent of the people in our country are Orthodox. This explains society's sensitive reaction to these marches and the imposition of these ideas. Our society rejects them, and this should be taken into consideration," he said.
This year, the marchers managed to walk the entire length of the planned route for the first time. Attempts by Orthodox activists to disrupt the march were prevented by police, who took unprecedented security measures by blocking the central streets in Chisinau to traffic.
Metropolitan Vladimir of Chisinau and All Moldova condemned the march and demanded that the Chisinau administration not allow it. A week before, the Orthodox Church conducted a march in defense of family values.
- Check of leader of Jewish movement Shahar for extremism might have to do with social media post - lawyer 13 August 2018, 17:28
- Teen suspected of setting fire to church in Karelia to be evaluated for sanity 13 August 2018, 14:29
- Teenage Satanist suspected of setting fire to wooden church in Karelia 13 August 2018, 12:58
- Police checking leader of Jewish movement in Russia for extremism - lawyer 10 August 2018, 20:53
- Russian Foreign Ministry asks Greek embassy for explanations on problems with issuing visas to priests 10 August 2018, 10:43
- St. Petersburg resident sentenced to 5 years in prison for preparing Kazan Cathedral terror attack 10 August 2018, 10:40
- Activists set up organization to protect rights of Orthodox believers in Eastern Europe 07 August 2018, 13:58
- Greece not issuing long-term visas to Russian priests - Russian patriarch's ex-spokesman 07 August 2018, 13:12
- Meeting of Moscow, Constantinople patriarchs will prove futility of efforts to split church - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 06 August 2018, 18:01
- Russia to memorialize 20 Holocaust execution sites 06 August 2018, 17:56
- Agenda of meeting between patriarchs Kirill, Bartholomew in works - Russian Orthodox Church 06 August 2018, 14:49
- Priest visits Oleg Sentsov in prison 06 August 2018, 14:05
- Patriarchs Kirill, Bartholomew to meet in Istanbul on Aug 31 06 August 2018, 13:45
- Moldova preparing for Patriarch Kirill's visit 02 August 2018, 12:32
- Poroshenko dismissed an official who promised him autocephaly to the Day of Russia's Baptism - media 02 August 2018, 11:05
- Patriarch Kirill appoints Grigory Antyufeyev acting general director of Sofrino (updated) 30 July 2018, 14:46
- No searches being conducted at Sofrino - source 30 July 2018, 12:38
- Patriarch Kirill removes long-term church administrator Parkhayev from all posts 30 July 2018, 12:35
- Ukrainian Interior Ministry estimates number of participants in so-called Kiev Patriarchate's procession as 65,000 people 28 July 2018, 17:47
- Poroshenko sees Russian Orthodox Church as threat to Ukraine 28 July 2018, 16:15
- Putin sees Christianization of Kievan Rus as start of Russia's statehood 28 July 2018, 14:29
- Putin joins religious procession marking 1030th anniversary of Christianization of Kievan Rus in Moscow 28 July 2018, 14:24
- Poroshenko joins schismatics' procession marking 1030th anniversary of Christianization of Rus in Kiev 28 July 2018, 12:56
- Russian Orthodox Church to resist attempts to separate Ukrainian Orthodox Church from it - Patriarch Kirill 28 July 2018, 09:07
- About 250,000 attend cross procession in Kiev - organizers 27 July 2018, 17:38
- Kiev cross procession begins 27 July 2018, 14:22
- Over 100,000 pilgrims to attend Kiev cross procession - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 27 July 2018, 14:00
- Heads, members of 10 local Orthodox Churches to celebrate 1030th anniversary of Baptism of Rus in Moscow 27 July 2018, 12:37
- Patriarch Kirill praises Ukrainian Orthodox Christians for staying loyal to Russian church before 1,030th anniversary of Christianization of Rus 27 July 2018, 11:06
- Patriarch Kirill hopes celebrations of 1,030th anniversary of Christianization of Rus can help overcome division in Ukraine 26 July 2018, 18:41