22 May 2018, 16:50
Moldovan president says LGBT march in Chisinau is alien to his country
Chisinau, May 22, Interfax - Moldovan President Igor Dodon has criticized the government and police for permitting a march of sexual minorities in Chisinau on May 19.
"I strongly denounce the authorities and police for facilitating the organization of this march. These values are alien to us, and I don't accept them. I favor traditional family values and the observance of Orthodox traditions," Dodon said at a press conference on Tuesday.
"The police's behavior was unacceptable in that they took measures against those who wished to prevent the march from being held," he said.
"If the government wanted this march to be held so badly, they should have held it in the government building. There was no need to block traffic throughout the entire city because of a few dozen people," Dodon said.
Dodon said he was not against development of relations with the West, but "they should not force values alien to us [on us] so persistently."
"Ninety-eight percent of the people in our country are Orthodox. This explains society's sensitive reaction to these marches and the imposition of these ideas. Our society rejects them, and this should be taken into consideration," he said.
This year, the marchers managed to walk the entire length of the planned route for the first time. Attempts by Orthodox activists to disrupt the march were prevented by police, who took unprecedented security measures by blocking the central streets in Chisinau to traffic.
Metropolitan Vladimir of Chisinau and All Moldova condemned the march and demanded that the Chisinau administration not allow it. A week before, the Orthodox Church conducted a march in defense of family values.
- Synod of Ukraine's new Church deprives Filaret of right to run Kiev Diocese 24 June 2019, 17:53
- Underground church discovered in Moldavia 24 June 2019, 17:49
- Georgian patriarch urges not to make mistakes 24 June 2019, 17:44
- Audience of films showing drugs should be warned of danger – Russian Church 24 June 2019, 14:15
- Georgia's LGBT community postpones march due to tensions 24 June 2019, 11:07
- Head of Georgian delegation in IAO refuses parliamentary mandate following riots in Tbilisi 21 June 2019, 17:37
- Filaret's 'local assembly' shows Constantinople project in Ukraine is not viable - Russian Orthodox Church 20 June 2019, 19:39
- Defense minister accuses U.S. of supporting non-mainstream religious entities in Russia 20 June 2019, 19:07
- Filaret, supporters to leave Ukraine's new church on June 24 - new church of Ukraine 20 June 2019, 19:03
- IAO delegation led by Russian MP leaving Tbilisi early 20 June 2019, 18:58
- Ivanishvili lashes out at organizers of Interparliamentary Assembly on Orthodoxy session for electing Russian as chair 20 June 2019, 18:56
- Filaret thinks Ukraine can have 3 Orthodox Churches 20 June 2019, 18:51
- "Kiev Patriarchate" cancels its dissolution 20 June 2019, 18:46
- Georgian president rules out 'Orthodox union' of Georgia and Russia 20 June 2019, 13:40
- Religion section editor of Dagestani newspaper suspected of financing terrorism arrested for 2 months 19 June 2019, 17:14
- Memorial in place of the second biggest burial of the Holocaust victims opened in Caucasus 19 June 2019, 17:09
- The Georgian Church official accuses US acting ambassador of trying to aggravate the situation around LGBT-action in Georgia 18 June 2019, 11:09
- Religion department editor of the Dagestani newspaper detained on suspicion of terrorism financing 17 June 2019, 11:30
- Russian Catholics don’t believe in islamization of Europe 07 June 2019, 15:30
- Leaders, members of 15 Jehovah's Witnesses cells held in Dagestan 07 June 2019, 10:55
- World will be better if people follow Bible, Torah, Koran - Putin 06 June 2019, 18:01
- Russian Catholics urge not to have illusions about possible pontiff's visit to Moscow 06 June 2019, 17:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church is not ready to welcome the Pope of Rome in Moscow 06 June 2019, 16:04
- Putin to meet with Pope Francis 06 June 2019, 14:34
- Russian Jews pray for “lifting up” the soul of the reposed wife of the Israel’s president 06 June 2019, 11:32
- Russia's Jews present country as example of tolerance for Europe 04 June 2019, 18:48
- Remembrance of Great Patriotic War protects Russia from xenophobia, anti-Semitism - Putin 04 June 2019, 17:48
- Putin attends unveiling of monument to heroes of resistance in concentration camps 04 June 2019, 17:41
- Russian Muslim community plays major role in combating extremist ideology - PM Medvedev 04 June 2019, 11:28
- Putin notes Russian Muslims' contribution to peoples' unity, fight against extremism 04 June 2019, 11:25