24 May 2018, 14:13
Former Pope of Rome in his book criticizes new trends in Catholicism - Metropolitan Hilarion
Moscow, May 24, Interfax - Head of the Moscow Patriarchate's Department for External Church Relations Metropolitan Hilarion tells about critical attitude of former Pope of Rome Benedict XVI to some new trends in Catholicism as the former pontiff wrote about it in his book Theology of the Liturgy.
“Joseph Ratzinger opposes surface “creativity”, emasculation of true content and goal of the liturgy as live connection with God and His creation: such trends sometimes appear in modern Western Christianity,” Metropolitan Hilarion said at a presentation of the Russian edition in Moscow.
According to the hierarch, some questions touched upon in the book (novelties in rites and such liturgical experiments as services without priests) refer to the sphere of exceptionally Catholic problems.
“However, it is important that Russian readers who have heard a lot about modernist trends in contemporary Catholicism would get acquainted with critical view of the prominent theologian on post-council development (it refers to the Second Vatican Council 1962-1965 - IF), on painful gaps from tradition and difficulties of renovation,” the hierarch believes.
Metropolitan Hilarion confessed that it was interesting for him as a church composer to read the final part of the book dedicated to the theology of church music, where the author gives profound theological analysis of liturgical music and precisely evaluates modern successful and unsuccessful search in this field.
The Russian edition is published by St. Gregory Foundation in 2017 and is timed for Benedict’s XVI 90-th birthday.
- Provocative behavior of migrants causes nationalism, anti-Islamic terrorism - Bortnikov 21 May 2019, 11:05
- Bomb threat at Dagestan Muslim Spiritual Council HQ turns out to be hoax 21 May 2019, 11:04
- Ukrainian embassy's 'Crimean Tatars' photo is actually Lodz ghetto Jews deportation photo 21 May 2019, 11:02
- Fence at church construction site in Yekaterinburg to be torn down for peace's sake 21 May 2019, 11:01
- Muslim board evacuated in Makhachkala due to bomb threat 20 May 2019, 19:18
- Patriarch Kirill wishes Ukraine's president Zelensky successes in uniting nation 20 May 2019, 18:44
- Zelensky's words on unacceptability of Ukraine's division based on language should also apply to religion - Lavrov 20 May 2019, 16:40
- President is not an icon - Zelensky 20 May 2019, 14:25
- Patriarch Kirill calculated that without abortions population of Russia will increase up to 166 million in twenty years 20 May 2019, 14:07
- Media review: "Two-headed hydra of Ukrainian schism and the world Orthodoxy" 20 May 2019, 12:22
- Russian Orthodox Church calls on new Ukrainian authorities to stop discriminating against Russian language 20 May 2019, 11:13
- Sverdlovsk regional administration to invite people to discuss alternative sites for church construction in Yekaterinburg 20 May 2019, 11:02
- Three more arrested after Yekaterinburg church construction protest 17 May 2019, 18:53
- Yekaterinburg authorities had dialogue with residents on church before Putin said poll needed - Peskov 17 May 2019, 18:51
- Yekaterinburg mayor to meet with group of protesters against church construction in public garden 17 May 2019, 13:42
- Thirty arrested in protests against church construction in Yekaterinburg 17 May 2019, 10:59
- Opponents of building church in Yekaterinburg hurl smoke charges near Moscow patriarch's residence 16 May 2019, 22:28
- Opponents of building church again meet in downtown Yekaterinburg 16 May 2019, 19:43
- Communications Ministry: 1,300 families give up TV for religious reasons 16 May 2019, 18:40
- Potential Dalai Lama visit needs separate discussion - Putin 16 May 2019, 18:38
- Yekaterinburg mayoral office agrees to hold independent poll on building church in city square 16 May 2019, 18:33
- Police report detention of further 70 protesters against Yekaterinburg church construction 16 May 2019, 18:19
- Putin proposes polling residents on Yekaterinburg church construction 16 May 2019, 18:17
- Law enforcers responded to provocation during Yekaterinburg protest, use of force justified - Peskov (updated) 16 May 2019, 13:44
- Kremlin denies rumors that church construction in Yekaterinburg part of big construction plan 16 May 2019, 13:17
- Moscow mayor's office doesn't allow LGBT pride parade, rallies 16 May 2019, 11:18
- Court arrests over 20 participants in protest against new church in Yekaterinburg 16 May 2019, 11:15
- Protests against church construction in downtown Yekaterinburg continue for third night in row 15 May 2019, 19:15
- Kremlin doesn't approve of law breaches in church construction protests in Yekaterinburg 15 May 2019, 16:04
- Orthodox priest advises females who found no husband in Russia to move abroad 15 May 2019, 14:57