29 May 2018, 10:41
Ancient Orthodox monastery of St. Thecla to be restored in Syrian Maaloula
Moscow, May 29, Interfax - Orthodox monastery of St. Thecla in Maaloula (Damascus Governorate) destroyed in Syria by gunmen from illegal armed groups will be entirely restored during a month, clerics will start celebrating liturgies there, rector of the church Ilias Ades told the journalists.
“Everything was destroyed. We started restoring it. Today almost everything is ready. We only have to bring furniture to the cells, and in a month nuns will be able to get back to their monastery,” he said.
According to the priest, for such a small town as Maaloula it is very important to restore everything that has been destroyed as people here earn their living from tourists and pilgrims.
“Now you see: there are no tourists at all. So the things that are happening now, what we see today is a great happiness for residents of the town. And for the whole Syria. And I think that for the whole Christian world,” guide Olga Potapova said.
Two thirds of Maaloula residents are Christians of various confessions, services in local churches are conducted in Aramaic language spoken by Jesus Christ.
In December 2013 nuns of St. Thecla monastery were taken hostages by terrorists from Jabhat An-Nusra (banned in Russia). Three months later the nuns were exchanged for relatives of terrorists. In April 2014, the town was liberated by Syrian governmental troops. During the time when terrorists controlled the town, many Christian shrines were destroyed and desecrated there.
- Ukrainian govt refuses to cancel lease with Ukrainian Orthodox Church 24 June 2022, 19:51
- Patriarch Kirill visits Russian servicemen injured during special operation in Ukraine 21 June 2022, 21:24
- Russia to hold 'Candle of Memory' vigil on eve of war's anniversary 21 June 2022, 20:06
- Jerusalem Patriarchate condemns Western rhetoric against Patriarch Kirill 21 June 2022, 19:02
- The image of the Virgin appeared on the door of Russian military hospital 21 June 2022, 18:01
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church asks EU diplomats for protection 16 June 2022, 19:46
- Russian Orthodox Church describes sanctions against Patriarch Kirill as absurd, pointless 16 June 2022, 14:47
- UK imposes sanctions on Patriarch Kirill 16 June 2022, 13:54
- LGBT pride parade won't be allowed in Chisinau - city mayor 14 June 2022, 10:00
- All-Tatar Public Center designated as extremist organization, banned 10 June 2022, 14:19
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about prospects of ban on marches near clinics, religious sites 10 June 2022, 14:17
- Rallies, demonstrations to be prohibited near religious buildings in Russia 09 June 2022, 16:39
- Over half of Russians favor restrictions on migrants' entry into country - senior Kremlin official 09 June 2022, 15:28
- Draft bill stipulating fines up to 10 mln rubles for propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations submitted to State Duma 07 June 2022, 21:10
- Russian court gives four Jehovah's Witnesses real jail time, suspended sentences in Trans-Baikal Territory 07 June 2022, 19:29
- Russian army averted damage to Sviatogorsk Lavra's historical and Orthodox monuments 07 June 2022, 15:28
- Metropolitan Hilarion relieved of duties as Moscow Patriarchate's external relations dept chairman 07 June 2022, 15:03
- Only Local Council can change status of Ukrainian Orthodox Church - Moscow Synod 07 June 2022, 15:01
- Crimean bishoprics directly subordinated to Patriarch Kirill 07 June 2022, 14:21
- Patriarch Kirill calls Belarus a truly sovereign state 06 June 2022, 12:52
- Process of transfer of Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem to Russia to be completed in foreseeable future - Russian FM 03 June 2022, 19:51
- Friendship of Slavic peoples to stand test of time - Patriarch Kirill 02 June 2022, 10:00
- Lavrov, OIC secretary general discuss causes of escalation in int'l relations 01 June 2022, 10:00
- Borrell's remarks on Russian patriarch give Kiev 'sanction' to persecute canonical Church – Moscow Patriarchate 31 May 2022, 18:21
- Another Donbass diocese disagrees with UOC decision to proclaim independence 31 May 2022, 17:50
- Chisinau mayor says won't allow LGBT pride parade to happen 31 May 2022, 17:22
- Ukrainian Verkhovna Rada votes for sanctions on Patriarch Kirill 31 May 2022, 15:46
- Russian Church compares Borrel with the jackal Tabaki from Mowgli 31 May 2022, 14:12
- Zakharova on plans to impose sanctions against the patriarch: no one submits notes about the health of EU 31 May 2022, 13:14
- Russia has immunity against any military adventurism - Patriarch Kirill 30 May 2022, 20:54