31 May 2018, 17:01
Dionysius icon Crucifixion to leave Russia for first time, be taken to Rome
Moscow, May 31, Interfax - The icon Crucifixion, painted by Dionysius, a famous pupil of Andrey Rublev, one of the most sacred items of the Russian Orthodox Church, will be taken to Rome in the fall, Metropolitan Hilarion, the head of Department for External Church Relations of the Moscow Patriarchate, said.
"This world-famous Russian icon will leave Russia for the first time to appear in front of the eyes of thousands of pilgrims visiting Rome. Another 20 icons from the collection of the State Tretyakov Gallery will be displayed along with it in the gallery of St. Peter's Basilica," the metropolitan said during a meeting with Pope Francis in the Vatican.
The meeting was attended by delegations from the Russian Church and the Italian Episcopal Conference, who are in Rome to attend a Russian-Italian forum on civil society issues to discuss the issue of pilgrimage.
In his discussion with Pope Francis, Metropolitan Hilarion emphasized the importance of dialogue between the Orthodox and Catholic Churches to strengthen mutual understanding and peace between the Russian and Italian peoples.
"Our dialogue is focused on the great heritage of Christian culture created by the people of Russia and Italy under the guidance of the Church. The humanitarian and peacekeeping role of the Churches is hard to overestimate in a world that is now experiencing dramatic division. The sphere of culture, with its universal language, has huge potential for joint testimony by the Churches about the universal human values of peace, good, love, mercy, and forgiveness, which find their supreme expression in the Gospel," the metropolitan was quoted as saying by the synodal department's press service on Thursday.
- Russian prosecutors seeking to shut down Church of Last Testament 25 September 2020, 17:34
- Patriarch awards Lavrov the church order of Glory and Honor 23 September 2020, 18:35
- Followers of Church of the Last Testament gave part of their income to sect every month - source 23 September 2020, 18:29
- Two followers in Vissarion's community developed mental disorders - source 23 September 2020, 18:18
- Court arrests 3 leaders of Krasnoyarsk Church of the Last Testament 23 September 2020, 13:07
- Putin bestows Order for Merit to Fatherland, 1st degree on oldest ruling bishop of Russian Orthodox Church 22 September 2020, 17:38
- Berel Lazar invited to Bahrain 22 September 2020, 13:18
- Russian Church wishes Depardieu to stop on Orthodoxy in his spiritual search 21 September 2020, 15:39
- Forty percent of Russia support Lenin reburial, 1 out of every 5 say his body should stay in Mausoleum - poll 18 September 2020, 20:44
- FJCR head views Hasidic pilgrims attempting to enter Ukraine as 'violence against common sense' 18 September 2020, 18:31
- Zelensky's Rosh Hashanah greeting expresses hope for return to normal rhythm of life next year 18 September 2020, 18:26
- No Hasidic pilgrims left on Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 18:23
- The FJCR calls a huge breakthrough recognition of Israel in the Arab Emirates and Bahrain 18 September 2020, 16:46
- Case opened against 2 Baltic Fleet servicemen who washed shoes in holy spring in Orthodox chapel 18 September 2020, 16:32
- Hasidic pilgrims initially heading to Uman begin leaving Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 12:15
- Putin notes Russian Jewish community's role in countering Covid-19, in strengthening peace and accord 18 September 2020, 11:17
- Some 1,000 Hasidic pilgrims expecting permission to enter Ukraine from Belarus 17 September 2020, 15:30
- Minsk accuses Kiev of empty rhetoric, urges it to respect rights of Hasidic pilgrims 17 September 2020, 10:39
- Kiev calls on Belarusian authorities to ensure Hasidic pilgrims adhere to quarantine regulations 16 September 2020, 20:27
- Ukraine urges Belarus to stop raising tensions on border, not to make false statements to Hasidic pilgrims (updated) 16 September 2020, 17:18
- Ukraine closes checkpoint on border with Belarus near which Hasidic pilgrims gathering 16 September 2020, 15:35
- Ukraine unable to let in additional numbers of Hasidic pilgrims due to current situation - Foreign Ministry 16 September 2020, 10:45
- Minsk seeks to agree with Ukraine on green corridor for Hasidic pilgrims 16 September 2020, 10:43
- Pope of Rome to consider possibility of visiting Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:42
- Vatican insists on Archbishop Kondrusiewicz's return to Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:40
- Tents set up for Hasidic pilgrims gathering on Belarus' border with Ukraine 15 September 2020, 20:00
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport, not citizenship 15 September 2020, 18:45
- Ukraine asks Belarus not to allow Hasidic pilgrims gathering at border to cross it 15 September 2020, 18:20
- Man brought down from roof of Alexander Nevsky Monastery in St. Petersburg 14 September 2020, 19:02
- Man on roof of St. Petersburg's Alexander Nevsky Monastery for over ten hours refused to come down 14 September 2020, 15:23