31 May 2018, 17:01
Dionysius icon Crucifixion to leave Russia for first time, be taken to Rome
Moscow, May 31, Interfax - The icon Crucifixion, painted by Dionysius, a famous pupil of Andrey Rublev, one of the most sacred items of the Russian Orthodox Church, will be taken to Rome in the fall, Metropolitan Hilarion, the head of Department for External Church Relations of the Moscow Patriarchate, said.
"This world-famous Russian icon will leave Russia for the first time to appear in front of the eyes of thousands of pilgrims visiting Rome. Another 20 icons from the collection of the State Tretyakov Gallery will be displayed along with it in the gallery of St. Peter's Basilica," the metropolitan said during a meeting with Pope Francis in the Vatican.
The meeting was attended by delegations from the Russian Church and the Italian Episcopal Conference, who are in Rome to attend a Russian-Italian forum on civil society issues to discuss the issue of pilgrimage.
In his discussion with Pope Francis, Metropolitan Hilarion emphasized the importance of dialogue between the Orthodox and Catholic Churches to strengthen mutual understanding and peace between the Russian and Italian peoples.
"Our dialogue is focused on the great heritage of Christian culture created by the people of Russia and Italy under the guidance of the Church. The humanitarian and peacekeeping role of the Churches is hard to overestimate in a world that is now experiencing dramatic division. The sphere of culture, with its universal language, has huge potential for joint testimony by the Churches about the universal human values of peace, good, love, mercy, and forgiveness, which find their supreme expression in the Gospel," the metropolitan was quoted as saying by the synodal department's press service on Thursday.
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14
- Activities of Jehovah's Witnesses stopped in Komi 31 January 2020, 15:11
- Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia doing important work preserving truth about war - Putin 29 January 2020, 14:08
- Conditions for Jewish community comfortable in Russia - Rabbi Lazar 29 January 2020, 14:07
- Archpriest Chaplin died of heart attack 27 January 2020, 18:51
- Russian Church accuses Constantinople for ingratitude and Russophobia 27 January 2020, 18:45