18 June 2018, 10:53
Several thousand people participated in parade organized by LGBT activists in downtown Kiev
Kiev, June 18, Interfax - Activists from the LGBT community have gathered in downtown Kiev, where the so-called Equality March was due to begin at 9 a.m. on Sunday.
The start of the event was delayed for technical reasons and the procession began one hour later, an Interfax correspondent said. Participants formed a column for the March and started moving but had to stop almost immediately. The procession finally started at 10 o'clock prompt, the correspondent said.
Several thousand people are participating in the event. Several Ukrainian members of parliament and a few public figures joined the procession, as did European Parliament member Rebecca Harms, Minister of State for Europe at Germany's Federal Foreign Office Michael Roth and German Ambassador to Ukraine Ernst Reichel.
Before the Equality March began, about ten people opposing the parade ran out in front of the column trying to obstruct the procession. Law enforcers intervened to lead them out of the cordons installed along the route of the parade.
Besides, about 1,000 opponents gathered behind barriers near the National Opera building. The opponents are speaking out for preserving traditional Christian values. They are holding banners with quotations from the Holy Bible and carrying wooden crosses. Law enforcement troops in protective suits are standing closely in two rows to make a separation line between the opponents of the Equality March and its participants.
Currently, police is keeping the situation under control. A row of mounted police is marching in front of the authorized procession.
The Kiev police revealed earlier that about 5,000 law enforcement troops would maintain law and order during the Equality March in the city center.
- Churches to continue autocephality dialogue even if Constantinople refuses to participate 27 February 2020, 11:26
- Russian Church content with results of inter-Orthodox meeting in Amman 27 February 2020, 09:58
- Proposed date for public vote on amendments to Russian Constitution is between Easter and Ramadan 26 February 2020, 18:23
- God doesn't care if he's mentioned in the Constitution - Surkov 26 February 2020, 14:45
- Russian Orthodox Church feels calm about decision of most Churches not to send their delegates to Amman meeting 26 February 2020, 10:15
- Inter-Orthodox meeting on Ukraine in Amman to be attended by 4 out of 15 Church leaders 25 February 2020, 23:04
- Russian Orthodox Church starts installing monitoring cameras at churches 25 February 2020, 22:58
- High-ranking Russian Orthodox Church rep objects to ban on consecration of WMDs 25 February 2020, 18:33
- Islamist from Donbass arrested in Kazan 25 February 2020, 11:02
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09