18 June 2018, 10:53
Several thousand people participated in parade organized by LGBT activists in downtown Kiev
Kiev, June 18, Interfax - Activists from the LGBT community have gathered in downtown Kiev, where the so-called Equality March was due to begin at 9 a.m. on Sunday.
The start of the event was delayed for technical reasons and the procession began one hour later, an Interfax correspondent said. Participants formed a column for the March and started moving but had to stop almost immediately. The procession finally started at 10 o'clock prompt, the correspondent said.
Several thousand people are participating in the event. Several Ukrainian members of parliament and a few public figures joined the procession, as did European Parliament member Rebecca Harms, Minister of State for Europe at Germany's Federal Foreign Office Michael Roth and German Ambassador to Ukraine Ernst Reichel.
Before the Equality March began, about ten people opposing the parade ran out in front of the column trying to obstruct the procession. Law enforcers intervened to lead them out of the cordons installed along the route of the parade.
Besides, about 1,000 opponents gathered behind barriers near the National Opera building. The opponents are speaking out for preserving traditional Christian values. They are holding banners with quotations from the Holy Bible and carrying wooden crosses. Law enforcement troops in protective suits are standing closely in two rows to make a separation line between the opponents of the Equality March and its participants.
Currently, police is keeping the situation under control. A row of mounted police is marching in front of the authorized procession.
The Kiev police revealed earlier that about 5,000 law enforcement troops would maintain law and order during the Equality March in the city center.
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's Metropolitan Simeon to attend "unification" council - media 15 November 2018, 22:20
- U.S. embassy concerned by Kiev's St. Andrew Church attack 15 November 2018, 19:25
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church warns of schemes using its bishops' signatures at unification assembly 15 November 2018, 15:46
- Unknown individuals attack St. Andrew's Church, transferred to Ecumenical Patriarchate, in Kiev 15 November 2018, 15:34
- Dissenting bishops of canonical Ukrainian Church might ignore 'unifying assembly' - Metropolitan Hilarion 15 November 2018, 14:56
- Constantinople deceiving supporters of Ukrainian autocephaly - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 15 November 2018, 12:11
- "Kiev Patriarchate" may nominate Filaret for head of new church 15 November 2018, 12:02
- Date of unification assembly not known yet - "Kiev Patriarchate" 15 November 2018, 11:10
- Upcoming 'uniting' assembly in Ukraine to have negligible canonical consequences - Russian Orthodox Church 14 November 2018, 21:58
- "Unification" council to be held in Ukraine on Nov 22 - media (updated) 14 November 2018, 21:54
- Poroshenko had angry phone call with Metropolitan Onufry - media 14 November 2018, 15:36
- Poroshenko administration refuses to show journalists agreement with Patriarch Bartholomew 14 November 2018, 13:58
- Ukrainian state to protect right to choose church jurisdiction - Poroshenko to Ukrainian hierarchs of Moscow Patriarchate 14 November 2018, 11:15
- Metropolitan Hilarion, Deputy Foreign Minister Karasin discuss Syria's humanitarian crisis, Christians' protection 14 November 2018, 11:08
- Duma proposes drawing up map of Greek churches, monasteries Russian Orthodox believers can visit 14 November 2018, 11:05
- Poroshenko phones Metropolitan Onufry, surprised why archbishops did not come - source 13 November 2018, 21:27
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church eagerly wants to protect its name - Bishop's Council 13 November 2018, 20:00
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church bishops refuse to take part in creation of autocephalous church 13 November 2018, 19:25
- Archbishops' Council of Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church ready to meet with Ukrainian president, but on church soil - statement 13 November 2018, 19:05
- Poroshenko no-show at Kiev Monastery of the Caves to meet with Ukrainian Church clergy 13 November 2018, 17:13
- Metropolitan of Kiev denounces attempts to turn church into 'political tool' 13 November 2018, 17:03
- Chernigov clergy remain committed to canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church 13 November 2018, 16:59
- Zhitomir Diocese supports Metropolitan Onufry 13 November 2018, 10:49
- Serbian Church Council denounces Constantinople's actions in Ukraine 12 November 2018, 18:41
- Putin stresses importance of friendly relations between Russia, Muslim countries 12 November 2018, 15:01
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church not to participate in unifying assembly – chancellor 12 November 2018, 13:29
- Patriarch Kirill sends priest to Istanbul to care for Russian believers after severance of relations with Constantinople 12 November 2018, 13:25
- Unification assembly in Ukraine unlikely to be held before end of Nov - media 09 November 2018, 17:20
- Lugansk Diocese supports Metropolitan Onufry 09 November 2018, 10:59
- Rector of Moscow Theological Academy added to Mirotvorets database (updated) 08 November 2018, 18:11