18 June 2018, 10:53
Several thousand people participated in parade organized by LGBT activists in downtown Kiev
Kiev, June 18, Interfax - Activists from the LGBT community have gathered in downtown Kiev, where the so-called Equality March was due to begin at 9 a.m. on Sunday.
The start of the event was delayed for technical reasons and the procession began one hour later, an Interfax correspondent said. Participants formed a column for the March and started moving but had to stop almost immediately. The procession finally started at 10 o'clock prompt, the correspondent said.
Several thousand people are participating in the event. Several Ukrainian members of parliament and a few public figures joined the procession, as did European Parliament member Rebecca Harms, Minister of State for Europe at Germany's Federal Foreign Office Michael Roth and German Ambassador to Ukraine Ernst Reichel.
Before the Equality March began, about ten people opposing the parade ran out in front of the column trying to obstruct the procession. Law enforcers intervened to lead them out of the cordons installed along the route of the parade.
Besides, about 1,000 opponents gathered behind barriers near the National Opera building. The opponents are speaking out for preserving traditional Christian values. They are holding banners with quotations from the Holy Bible and carrying wooden crosses. Law enforcement troops in protective suits are standing closely in two rows to make a separation line between the opponents of the Equality March and its participants.
Currently, police is keeping the situation under control. A row of mounted police is marching in front of the authorized procession.
The Kiev police revealed earlier that about 5,000 law enforcement troops would maintain law and order during the Equality March in the city center.
- Putin attends sanctification ceremony for foundation stone of military's main church at Patriot Park 20 September 2018, 10:00
- Russian Church to help Syria return to peaceful life - Patriarch Kirill 19 September 2018, 10:00
- Putin, Erdogan didn't discuss conflict between Russian Orthodox Church, Constantinople – Peskov 18 September 2018, 12:23
- Constantinople exarch in Kiev collects works of Ukrainian nationalists 18 September 2018, 10:20
- Constantinople's exarch says willing to cooperate with "Kiev Patriarchate" 17 September 2018, 19:01
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls Constantinople policy mean 17 September 2018, 17:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion recommends Constantinople to form "one local Church in America" 17 September 2018, 17:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion accuses U.S. of deliberately destroying Russian Orthodox Church 17 September 2018, 11:32
- Russian Orthodox Church says Patriarchate of Constantinople status might be reviewed 14 September 2018, 21:55
- Patriarch Kirill's spokesman likens state of Moscow-Constantinople relations with yellow traffic light 14 September 2018, 21:53
- Moscow Patriarchate suspends mentioning of Patriarch Bartholomew in prayers at church services 14 September 2018, 21:48
- Constantinople Patriarchate has no right to interfere in Ukrainian church affairs - Metropolitan Onufry 14 September 2018, 15:29
- Constantinople has 'tradition' of encouraging schisms in Russian Orthodox Church - Patriarch Kirill 14 September 2018, 15:14
- Moldovan president proposes outlawing gay prides 14 September 2018, 14:31
- Kremlin following current session of Holy Synod of Russian Orthodox Church - Peskov 14 September 2018, 14:23
- UOC official believes most of its parishioners won't leave for Constantinople's "autocephaly" 14 September 2018, 09:43
- Russian Orthodox Church Holy Synod to hold extraordinary meeting on Sept 14 13 September 2018, 20:55
- Situation surrounding Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Kiev is state's brutal interference in Church affairs - Russian Foreign Ministry 13 September 2018, 17:15
- Metropolitan Hilarion meets with apostolic nuncio to Russia 13 September 2018, 14:07
- Greece's visa denial to Metropolitan Varsonofy scandalous - Moscow Patriarchate 13 September 2018, 13:06
- Constantinople's actions can result in a schism in Orthodoxy, exceeding the Great Schism of 1054, Russian church official says 13 September 2018, 13:03
- The Russian Orthodox Church urges UOC believers to unite around Metropolitan Onufry 13 September 2018, 11:53
- Constantinople legates arrive in Ukraine - sources 12 September 2018, 19:31
- Metropolitan Onufry calls on flock to stay faithful to the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church 12 September 2018, 17:08
- Tajik authorities see no need for religious party in country 12 September 2018, 16:26
- Washington stands behind Constantinople's actions in Ukraine - historian 12 September 2018, 11:28
- New church schism in Ukraine will be more dangerous than NATO expansion - expert 12 September 2018, 10:31
- Washington pledges support for Kiev in struggle for right to have united autocephalous Orthodox church 12 September 2018, 09:53
- Patriarch Bartholomew's position on Ukrainian Church motivated by politics rather than religion - Russian Imperial Family head 11 September 2018, 17:05
- Jerusalem patriarch expresses solidarity with the head of the canonical UOC 11 September 2018, 14:20