09 July 2018, 17:12
Patriarch Kirill, representatives of Constantinople Church discuss preserving inter-Orthodox unity
Moscow, July 9, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia has discussed the issue of keeping inter-Orthodox unity with representatives of the Constantinople Patriarchate.
According to the official website of the Russian Orthodox Church, Patriarch Kirill met with Metropolitans Emmanuel of Galle and Bartholomew of Smyrna at his working residence in Moscow's Chisty Lane on Monday.
"The conversation addressed issues relating to keeping inter-Orthodox unity," the report said.
The Russian Orthodox Church was also represented in the meeting by Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk and Archpriest Nikolay Balashov, deputy head of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations.
"In the meeting, the parties frankly and openly stated their positons on a number of issues that present mutual interest, including the situation in Ukraine," Father Nikolay told Interfax-Religion.
"Both parties find this meeting useful," he said. The priest said the positons of the Russian Church stated there will be communicated to Patriarch Bartholomew and the Holy Synod of the Constantinople Church in the near future.
The issue of inter-Orthodox unity drew broad debate in the past few months in connection with the so-called Ukrainian issue.
According to earlier reports, Ukrainian President Pyotr Poroshenko in April asked Patriarch of Constantinople Bartholomew to grant a tomos of autocephaly to the Church in Ukraine and announced an intention to create "a unified local church." The Verkhovnaya Rada supported the presidential address.
Afterward, high representatives of the Moscow and Constantinople Patriarchates held a series of consultations with local Orthodox Churches on the matter. Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk repeatedly said he had been told about the need to observe the canonical approach in a serious issue such as the granting of autocephaly.
Metropolitan Hilarion also warned about the inevitable deepening of division in Ukraine and on a schism in the Orthodox Church, which he believes could be compared to the Great Schism of 1054.
A delegation of archbishops of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate, for its part, visited Istanbul in late June. After the visit, they said the rumors about preparations being made for granting autocephaly to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church by the Constantinople Patriarchate had not been confirmed.
"Instead, the archbishops of the Constantinople Patriarchate said that their Church was ready to join the process of overcoming the Ukrainian church schism in consultations with their brotherly local Orthodox Churches," the hierarchs of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church said in their statement.
- Half of Russians in favor of helping France restore Notre Dame de Paris - poll 23 April 2019, 14:51
- Patriarch Kirill: Zelensky given historic chance to unite people of Ukraine (updated) 23 April 2019, 13:38
- Law on renaming Ukrainian Orthodox Church still in effect despite court ruling - Rada speaker 23 April 2019, 12:55
- Rehabilitating Bandera's supporters may end in Ukraine under Zelensky - Russian Jewish community leader 22 April 2019, 21:16
- Russian Jewish Congress to rebuild yeshiva in wake of arson during Passover 22 April 2019, 19:32
- Court in Kiev puts renaming of UOC on holdCourt in Kiev puts renaming of UOC on hold 22 April 2019, 18:12
- Zelensky victory will reduce nationalism in Ukraine - Russian Jews 22 April 2019, 16:47
- UOC on Poroshenko election failure: God treats authorities the way authorities treat the Church 22 April 2019, 16:45
- Head of UOC blesses Zelensky to serve Ukraine 22 April 2019, 12:45
- Georgian presidential administration chief Zhvania quits 22 April 2019, 10:45
- Notre Dame fire is menacing sign to all Europe, including Russia - Patriarch Kirill's press secretary 19 April 2019, 21:05
- Russia ready to help France with Notre Dame fire inquiry - emergency minister 19 April 2019, 18:06
- Over 100 tons of matzo produced in Russia on the eve of Passover 18 April 2019, 18:02
- Patriarch Kirill sends condolences over the fire at Notre Dame Cathedral 18 April 2019, 13:30
- Bortnikov warns about 1,500 trained Islamist terrorists returning to Europe 18 April 2019, 13:21
- FSB director says concerned about anti-Islamic terrorism, psycho killers 18 April 2019, 11:36
- Russian Church about Notre Dame fire: the world will never be the same 17 April 2019, 11:19
- Kremlin announces readiness to send Russian specialists to help restore Notre Dame in Paris 16 April 2019, 12:32
- Parishioners return to the restored Armenian church in Aleppo 16 April 2019, 12:06
- Russian Culture Ministry to propose organizing fundraiser to help restore Paris' Notre Dame 16 April 2019, 12:02
- Putin offers sympathy over Notre Dame Cathedral fire, offers sending best Russian specialists to Paris – Kremlin 16 April 2019, 12:00
- Russian Orthodox priest believes "real men" exist only in the Special Forces 15 April 2019, 17:40
- Lavrov, Patriarch Kirill discuss church crisis in Ukraine, Christian presence in Middle East 15 April 2019, 10:51
- Peter the Great's charter by which he appoints Metropolitan of Kiev delivered to Ukraine from Germany 15 April 2019, 10:50
- Crosses dismantled in Kuropaty have nothing to do with perpetuation of memory of Stalinist-era victims - Belarusian Ministry of Forestry 12 April 2019, 09:15
- Tajik court sentences former functionary of prohibited Islamic party to 15 years in prison 10 April 2019, 14:19
- Passover to prevent Jews from voting on April 21 "before star-rise" - Ukraine's chief rabbi 09 April 2019, 19:05
- Kiev court finds involuntary renaming of canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church to be unlawful 08 April 2019, 10:56
- Synod conducts rotation of Patriarch Kirill's vicars 05 April 2019, 15:44
- Beautification works, dismantling of illegally erected crosses underway at Kuropaty 05 April 2019, 10:47