11 July 2018, 14:29
Unrest in Ganja provoked by separatists, religious radicals, opposition - Azerbaijani presidential aide
Baku, July 11, Interfax - The forces that attempted to spark a conflict in Azerbaijan will be seriously punished, according to Azerbaijani presidential aide for sociopolitical matters Ali Hasanov.
"I can say with confidence that the people seeking to create chaos and confrontation will be seriously punished within the framework of the law," Hasanov wrote on Facebook, referring to what took place on Tuesday in Ganja, the country's second largest city.
Hasanov urged those who had violated public order to acknowledge their mistakes and stop participating in such activities.
"Azerbaijan's national interests and statehood must never be a subject for discussion and must never be endangered," he said.
The Azerbaijani authorities will respond harshly to calls for terrorism, Hasanov said. "In addition, the justification of terrorism is unacceptable regardless of reasons and pretexts," he said.
"We are facing a synchronized ideological provocation targeting our country by separatists, religious radicals, and the notorious opposition, which is working for money and comfortable living conditions," Hasanov said.
According to police, "a radicalized religious group composed of 150 to 200 persons tried to hold an unpermitted protest in front of the Ganja city administration's building at 8 p.m. local time on Tuesday. The police warned the protesters that their actions were illegal and urged them to leave. Yet the protesters resisted the police using piercing and cutting weapons."
Two police officers - Ganja deputy police chief Col. Ilgar Balakishiyev and Ganja Nizami district deputy police chief Lt. Col. Samed Abbasov - died trying to stop the protest.
Forty protesters were detained and taken to a police station, the Interior Ministry said.
"Order was restored in the center of Ganja within 30 minutes," the statement said.
A criminal case was opened.
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14
- Activities of Jehovah's Witnesses stopped in Komi 31 January 2020, 15:11
- Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia doing important work preserving truth about war - Putin 29 January 2020, 14:08