18 May 2006, 12:45
Russian Muslims demand banning Da Vinci Code motion picture and circulation of the novel
Moscow, May 18, Interfax - The Central Spiritual Directorate of Muslims (CSDM) called the Da Vinci Code ‘a blasphemous film’ and called upon the authorities to ban its showing in the county.
‘We equal this film with the recent Prophet Muhammad extremist cartoons as the novel and the film desecrate the Prophet Isa (Jesus Christ) worshipped by the Muslims,’ the CSDM statement received by Interfax on Thursday reads.
‘The Central Spiritual Directorate of Muslims of Russia demands that the Da Vinci Code film and Dan Brown’s novel be banned in Russia’, the authors write.
The statement addressed to the leadership of the country and the General Prosecution Office reads that the Russian Muslims regard ‘public and mass provocative showing of such hack work’, especially to the younger generation, as ‘an highly sophisticated form of spiritual genocide against the peoples of Russia.’
According to the authors, the CSDM is receiving a lot of phone calls and personal addresses from different regions. People complain about violation of their rights and freedoms. They say that free circulation of the Da Vinci Code book and upcoming showing of the film violate their dignity.’
‘The Central Spiritual Directorate of Muslims of Russia has spent much effort to stop the Russian Muslims from bringing their anger against the scandalous cartoons out in the streets. It would be equally difficult to do the same without the timely reaction of the state to the irresponsible film distributors’ action’, the statement reads.
The CSDM expressed their indignation at ‘the negligence of the Public Prosecution Office and irresponsible attitude of the Federal Agency for Culture and Cinematography that authorized the showing of the Da Vinci Code film that we think to be blasphemous and hostility-inciting.
- Russian Orthodox Church considering accepting Alexandria clergy who don't want to recognize Ukrainian schism 24 September 2021, 17:40
- Patriarch of Constantinople who visited Kiev has no right to speak on behalf of Orthodox world - Russian Church 24 September 2021, 17:24
- Russian Prosecutor General's Office designates two Scientology organizations undesirable 24 September 2021, 16:58
- Five Jehovah's Witnesses convicted in Russia's Volgograd Region 24 September 2021, 10:10
- Court dismisses appeal against forcible treatment of Yakutia shaman Gabyshev 23 September 2021, 15:22
- FJCR calls on Ukrainian authorities to expand definition of anti-Semitism 23 September 2021, 15:18
- Krasny Pakhar Jamaat added to Russian list of terrorist groups 22 September 2021, 16:29
- Ukraine adopts law on fight against anti-Semitism 22 September 2021, 13:38
- Afghanistan must form inclusive govt - SCO summit declaration 17 September 2021, 17:12
- Patriarch Kirill doubts legitimacy of authority of Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople 16 September 2021, 16:38
- Jehovah's Witness jailed for 3 years in Kostroma 08 September 2021, 10:00
- Jehovah's Witness from Pskov Region gets suspended sentence 08 September 2021, 10:00
- Putin notes contribution of Jewish religious organizations to interethnic peace, accord 06 September 2021, 14:26
- Metropolitan Hilarion compared Patriarch Bartholomew to a robber and a thief 06 September 2021, 10:52
- Russian Church concerned about the fate of Christians in Afghanistan 06 September 2021, 10:43
- Supporters of radical Islam held in Tula 06 September 2021, 10:36
- Defrocked priest Sergy's supporter remanded in custody – court 02 September 2021, 18:13
- More than 5.5 thousand clerics and monks of the Russian Orthodox Church in Russia have been ill with coronavirus 02 September 2021, 14:36
- More than 2.5 million people have visited the Jewish Museum in Moscow during its nine years of operation 02 September 2021, 14:31
- Lithuanian president promises not to allow LGBT history to be taught in schools 02 September 2021, 14:25
- Associate of former schema-hegumen Sergy detained in hatred fanning case 01 September 2021, 15:26
- Complaints about threats from Male State community should be processed by law enforcement agencies - Peskov 31 August 2021, 14:57
- Taliban to present themselves as less radical to get investments – expert 31 August 2021, 13:45
- Russian Justice Ministry adds 4 Ukrainian and Latvian religious movements to list of groups undesirable in Russia 30 August 2021, 18:12
- The church historian called the results of Patriarch Bartholomew's visit to Ukraine deplorable 30 August 2021, 16:04
- More than 500 Orthodox churches to be built in Moscow 30 August 2021, 11:07
- Russian authorities to check the construction of a closed "halal" village near Moscow 30 August 2021, 10:49
- Patriarch Kirill calls the visit of the Constantinople primate to Kiev sinful 30 August 2021, 10:40
- Organizers of Jehovah's Witnesses cell detained in Moscow 26 August 2021, 15:55
- Patriarch Bartholomew doesn't attend celebrations on 30th anniversary of Ukraine's independence at Kiev's St. Sophia Cathedral 24 August 2021, 17:51