18 May 2006, 12:45
Russian Muslims demand banning Da Vinci Code motion picture and circulation of the novel
Moscow, May 18, Interfax - The Central Spiritual Directorate of Muslims (CSDM) called the Da Vinci Code ‘a blasphemous film’ and called upon the authorities to ban its showing in the county.
‘We equal this film with the recent Prophet Muhammad extremist cartoons as the novel and the film desecrate the Prophet Isa (Jesus Christ) worshipped by the Muslims,’ the CSDM statement received by Interfax on Thursday reads.
‘The Central Spiritual Directorate of Muslims of Russia demands that the Da Vinci Code film and Dan Brown’s novel be banned in Russia’, the authors write.
The statement addressed to the leadership of the country and the General Prosecution Office reads that the Russian Muslims regard ‘public and mass provocative showing of such hack work’, especially to the younger generation, as ‘an highly sophisticated form of spiritual genocide against the peoples of Russia.’
According to the authors, the CSDM is receiving a lot of phone calls and personal addresses from different regions. People complain about violation of their rights and freedoms. They say that free circulation of the Da Vinci Code book and upcoming showing of the film violate their dignity.’
‘The Central Spiritual Directorate of Muslims of Russia has spent much effort to stop the Russian Muslims from bringing their anger against the scandalous cartoons out in the streets. It would be equally difficult to do the same without the timely reaction of the state to the irresponsible film distributors’ action’, the statement reads.
The CSDM expressed their indignation at ‘the negligence of the Public Prosecution Office and irresponsible attitude of the Federal Agency for Culture and Cinematography that authorized the showing of the Da Vinci Code film that we think to be blasphemous and hostility-inciting.
- Russia to seek return of Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem in court - Stepashin 08 April 2020, 18:48
- The unemployed man detained in St. Petersburg for making inscription about coronavirus on a church wall 08 April 2020, 15:16
- About 80,000 Jewish families in Russia received a set of Kosher food on Pesach 08 April 2020, 14:53
- Patriach Kirill urges to consider the pandemic a chance to change for the better 08 April 2020, 11:11
- About 80 tons of matzo were delivered free for Pesach in Russia 06 April 2020, 19:35
- Four Moscow clergymen diagnosed with coronavirus, 4 suspected of having it - patriarchate 06 April 2020, 19:13
- Oldest synagogue in Russia celebrates its 140th anniversary 06 April 2020, 17:40
- Clerics hold air processions with cross against coronavirus above Volgograd and Kuzbass 06 April 2020, 15:14
- Patriarch Kirill urges believers to sturdily face all "temporary difficulties" 03 April 2020, 18:07
- Patriarch Kirill going around Moscow with icon to rid people of coronavirus 03 April 2020, 17:47
- Almost all members of the Moscow Jewish Community recovered from Covid-19 03 April 2020, 17:10
- Russian Orthodox Church considers untimely forecasts about the form of Easter celebrations 03 April 2020, 16:43
- Heads of Jewish communities around the world urge to exchange words of support on the eve of Pesach 03 April 2020, 14:00
- One more Russian Orthodox metropolitan carries out air procession with cross against coronavirus 02 April 2020, 17:34
- Head of the Byelorussian Orthodox Church to fly along the country’s borders with relics and prayers to stop coronavirus 02 April 2020, 17:32
- About 20 members of Jewish community of Russia hospitalized with coronavirus suspected 02 April 2020, 16:05
- Moscow rabbi recovers from coronavirus 01 April 2020, 17:09
- Patriarch to go around Moscow with icon of Our Lady to rid people of coronavirus 01 April 2020, 13:24
- Patriarch Kirill calls on believers to refrain from visiting churches amid coronavirus pandemic 29 March 2020, 20:09
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55
- Case of leader of Aum Shinrikyo group in Russia sent to prosecutor 26 March 2020, 19:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't plan to cancel Easter processions 26 March 2020, 16:25
- Russian Orthodox Church shows understanding of Sobyanin's advice not to attend service but says churches will stay open 26 March 2020, 15:08
- Sobyanin asks Muscovites not to visit religious sites 26 March 2020, 10:49
- Ukrainian monasteries will assign premises for Covid-19 patients 25 March 2020, 19:24
- FJCR closes all its synagogues in Russia 25 March 2020, 15:49
- Monastery south of Moscow thrown away dozens of dogs, police was told they miraculously flew away 24 March 2020, 17:40
- Lukashenko on coronavirus: If we get through until Orthodox Easter, we'll live 24 March 2020, 14:40