18 May 2006, 13:10
The first Orthodox church to be blessed in Rome
Moscow, May 18, Interfax - The first Orthodox church in the capital of Italy will be solemnly blessed on Friday, May 19.
The head of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations Metropolitan Kirill of Smolensk and Kaliningrad currently on a visit in Rome will perform the Office of the Lesser Blessing of the church. An official delegation of the Moscow government headed by Mayor Yury Luzhkov will take part in the ceremony. The choir of the Moscow Sretensky monastery is expected to sing.
The Russian orthodox church of St. Catherine the Great Martyr was built at the Russian Embassy in Italy on the Gianiculum Hill not far from the St. Peter’s Basilica. The construction was licensed in June 2002 with the Embassy’s assistance, and the works began in summer 2003. The cross and the domes were blessed and installed later in March 2006.
The necessity of the construction of the first Orthodox church in the Eternal City where many martyrs had shed their blood is explained by the presence of numerous Russian orthodox believers in Rome.
The idea to build an Orthodox church in the capital of Italy first appeared in the 19th century, but the Revolution impeded the project.
The Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs took the initiative in constructing the church in the early 1990s. Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russian blessed the initiative. A special foundation for the construction of the church headed by Metropolitan Kirill was set up in May 2004.
Both the Orthodox and the Catholics worship St. Catherine to whom the church is dedicated.
- Russian Orthodox Church considering accepting Alexandria clergy who don't want to recognize Ukrainian schism 24 September 2021, 17:40
- Patriarch of Constantinople who visited Kiev has no right to speak on behalf of Orthodox world - Russian Church 24 September 2021, 17:24
- Russian Prosecutor General's Office designates two Scientology organizations undesirable 24 September 2021, 16:58
- Five Jehovah's Witnesses convicted in Russia's Volgograd Region 24 September 2021, 10:10
- Court dismisses appeal against forcible treatment of Yakutia shaman Gabyshev 23 September 2021, 15:22
- FJCR calls on Ukrainian authorities to expand definition of anti-Semitism 23 September 2021, 15:18
- Krasny Pakhar Jamaat added to Russian list of terrorist groups 22 September 2021, 16:29
- Ukraine adopts law on fight against anti-Semitism 22 September 2021, 13:38
- Afghanistan must form inclusive govt - SCO summit declaration 17 September 2021, 17:12
- Patriarch Kirill doubts legitimacy of authority of Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople 16 September 2021, 16:38
- Jehovah's Witness jailed for 3 years in Kostroma 08 September 2021, 10:00
- Jehovah's Witness from Pskov Region gets suspended sentence 08 September 2021, 10:00
- Putin notes contribution of Jewish religious organizations to interethnic peace, accord 06 September 2021, 14:26
- Metropolitan Hilarion compared Patriarch Bartholomew to a robber and a thief 06 September 2021, 10:52
- Russian Church concerned about the fate of Christians in Afghanistan 06 September 2021, 10:43
- Supporters of radical Islam held in Tula 06 September 2021, 10:36
- Defrocked priest Sergy's supporter remanded in custody – court 02 September 2021, 18:13
- More than 5.5 thousand clerics and monks of the Russian Orthodox Church in Russia have been ill with coronavirus 02 September 2021, 14:36
- More than 2.5 million people have visited the Jewish Museum in Moscow during its nine years of operation 02 September 2021, 14:31
- Lithuanian president promises not to allow LGBT history to be taught in schools 02 September 2021, 14:25
- Associate of former schema-hegumen Sergy detained in hatred fanning case 01 September 2021, 15:26
- Complaints about threats from Male State community should be processed by law enforcement agencies - Peskov 31 August 2021, 14:57
- Taliban to present themselves as less radical to get investments – expert 31 August 2021, 13:45
- Russian Justice Ministry adds 4 Ukrainian and Latvian religious movements to list of groups undesirable in Russia 30 August 2021, 18:12
- The church historian called the results of Patriarch Bartholomew's visit to Ukraine deplorable 30 August 2021, 16:04
- More than 500 Orthodox churches to be built in Moscow 30 August 2021, 11:07
- Russian authorities to check the construction of a closed "halal" village near Moscow 30 August 2021, 10:49
- Patriarch Kirill calls the visit of the Constantinople primate to Kiev sinful 30 August 2021, 10:40
- Organizers of Jehovah's Witnesses cell detained in Moscow 26 August 2021, 15:55
- Patriarch Bartholomew doesn't attend celebrations on 30th anniversary of Ukraine's independence at Kiev's St. Sophia Cathedral 24 August 2021, 17:51