10 August 2018, 20:53
Police checking leader of Jewish movement in Russia for extremism - lawyer
Moscow, August 10, Interfax - Moscow police officials have visited the office of the Moscow Jewish religious community for a search as part of an inquiry in relation to Alexander Kargin, the leader of the Jewish movement Shahar and representative of the Israeli ruling party Likud in Russia, Kargin's lawyer said.
"Officials from the Anti-Extremism Center of the Interior Ministry department for the Central Administrative District in Moscow came to the office today. During a search, they discovered nationalistic literature not belonging to Kargin but obviously planted in the office," lawyer Igor Zuber told Interfax on Friday.
The inquiry was launched after law enforcement agencies received a report on Kargin, he said.
"As is indicated in the warrant for the procedure, the law enforcement officials conducted an inquiry into actions aimed at fomenting hatred or enmity or insulting a group of people based on their ethnicity and religion," the lawyer said.
Kargin was summoned to police to give explanations next week, he said.
Kargin insisted that anti-Semite literature had been planted on him. "The literature seized had been planted on me. Most of the planted literature was anti-Semitic in nature," Kargin told Interfax.
- Metropolitan Onufry is Ukraine's sole canonical Orthodox leader - Jerusalem Church's exarch 20 September 2018, 18:45
- Jehovah's Witnesses detained in Perm 20 September 2018, 15:23
- Poroshenko promises state protection for clergy, laity of Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Moscow Patriarchate who join unified local church 20 September 2018, 14:11
- Putin attends sanctification ceremony for foundation stone of military's main church at Patriot Park 20 September 2018, 10:00
- Russian Church to help Syria return to peaceful life - Patriarch Kirill 19 September 2018, 10:00
- Putin, Erdogan didn't discuss conflict between Russian Orthodox Church, Constantinople – Peskov 18 September 2018, 12:23
- Constantinople exarch in Kiev collects works of Ukrainian nationalists 18 September 2018, 10:20
- Constantinople's exarch says willing to cooperate with "Kiev Patriarchate" 17 September 2018, 19:01
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls Constantinople policy mean 17 September 2018, 17:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion recommends Constantinople to form "one local Church in America" 17 September 2018, 17:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion accuses U.S. of deliberately destroying Russian Orthodox Church 17 September 2018, 11:32
- Russian Orthodox Church says Patriarchate of Constantinople status might be reviewed 14 September 2018, 21:55
- Patriarch Kirill's spokesman likens state of Moscow-Constantinople relations with yellow traffic light 14 September 2018, 21:53
- Moscow Patriarchate suspends mentioning of Patriarch Bartholomew in prayers at church services 14 September 2018, 21:48
- Constantinople Patriarchate has no right to interfere in Ukrainian church affairs - Metropolitan Onufry 14 September 2018, 15:29
- Constantinople has 'tradition' of encouraging schisms in Russian Orthodox Church - Patriarch Kirill 14 September 2018, 15:14
- Moldovan president proposes outlawing gay prides 14 September 2018, 14:31
- Kremlin following current session of Holy Synod of Russian Orthodox Church - Peskov 14 September 2018, 14:23
- UOC official believes most of its parishioners won't leave for Constantinople's "autocephaly" 14 September 2018, 09:43
- Russian Orthodox Church Holy Synod to hold extraordinary meeting on Sept 14 13 September 2018, 20:55
- Situation surrounding Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Kiev is state's brutal interference in Church affairs - Russian Foreign Ministry 13 September 2018, 17:15
- Metropolitan Hilarion meets with apostolic nuncio to Russia 13 September 2018, 14:07
- Greece's visa denial to Metropolitan Varsonofy scandalous - Moscow Patriarchate 13 September 2018, 13:06
- Constantinople's actions can result in a schism in Orthodoxy, exceeding the Great Schism of 1054, Russian church official says 13 September 2018, 13:03
- The Russian Orthodox Church urges UOC believers to unite around Metropolitan Onufry 13 September 2018, 11:53
- Constantinople legates arrive in Ukraine - sources 12 September 2018, 19:31
- Metropolitan Onufry calls on flock to stay faithful to the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church 12 September 2018, 17:08
- Tajik authorities see no need for religious party in country 12 September 2018, 16:26
- Washington stands behind Constantinople's actions in Ukraine - historian 12 September 2018, 11:28
- New church schism in Ukraine will be more dangerous than NATO expansion - expert 12 September 2018, 10:31