31 August 2018, 00:19
Patriarch of Moscow, Constantinople to meet in Istanbul
Moscow, August 31, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia will meet with Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople in Istanbul on Friday morning.
Though the summit was scheduled in early August, the both sides do not reveal the agenda of the meeting saying that they will discuss "bilateral issues of interest."
Meanwhile, numerous spectators expect that the current meeting will clarify the question about establishing the so-called "one autocephalous Church" of Ukraine, which is sought by secular authorities of the country.
As was reported that on April 17, 2018 president Pyotr Poroshenko announced his intentional to ask Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople to issue the tomos of autocephaly for Ukraine's Orthodox Church. Two days after, deputies of the Supreme Rada supported his initiative.
This topic remained one of the most discussed in Ukrainian media and Orthodox diplomatic circles for months. In course of numerous bilateral contacts of the Moscow Patriarchate highest officials and bishops of other Orthodox Churches of the world, the latter stated the necessity of preserving church unity and impossibility of interfering in interior affairs of the Russian Church. It has been stated that it is impossible to legitimize the schism in Ukraine and the only canonical Orthodox Church of Ukraine headed by Metropolitan Onufry has not asked for autocephaly.
After the Istanbul meeting of the two patriarchs was announced, it was declared that session of the Constantinople Patriarchate, which, according to the media, could consider "the Ukrainian question" was transferred from September to October. At the same time, as was planned, the Sinaxis, which is a meeting of all Constantinople hierarchs headed by Patriarch Bartholomew, will be held on September 1-3 in Istanbul.
The previous meeting between Patriarch Kirill and Patriarch Bartholomew took place at the concelebration of Primates of autocephalous Churches in January 2016 in Chambesy. Earlier the two patriarchs met in March 2014 at concelebration of Primates of autocephalous Churches in Istanbul, in October 2013 in Podgorica (Montenegro) and during Patriarch Bartholomew's visit to Russia in 2010, and during Patriarch Kirill's official visit to the Constantinople Orthodox Church in July 2009.
Istanbul became the first foreign city visited by Patriarch Kirill after he was elected the primate of the Russian Orthodox Church. Then he said about his intention to contribute to increasing the number of pilgrims to Turkey and consecrated the Sts Elena and Constantine Church at the residence of Russian consulate in Buyukdere.
During that meeting Patriarch Bartholomew spoke about necessity to hold constructive dialogue with the Moscow Patriarchate in spite of temporarily appearing contradictions. He noted that "clouds" from time to time turning up in the relations between the two "fraternal Churches" has "temporal character" and would "pass by" quickly. "No one would be able to take away our unity which we acquired in one chalice", Patriarch Bartholomew said then.
- Extremism case opened against 5 members of Jehovah's Witnesses in Syktyvkar 04 March 2021, 13:15
- Putin orders Interior Ministry to prosecute provocateurs, suppress all manifestations of extremism 03 March 2021, 16:25
- Kremlin not commenting on end of discussion about monument on Lubyanskaya Square - Peskov 01 March 2021, 14:19
- Moscow Mayor Sobyanin proposes to leave Lubyanskaya Square as it is for now 26 February 2021, 22:42
- Acting leader of Abkhazian Diocese is member of Georgian Church - Georgian Patriarchate 26 February 2021, 17:44
- Search underway on premises of Sredneuralsky Convent 26 February 2021, 17:41
- Defrocked priest Sergy's pretrial detention extended until end of spring 26 February 2021, 10:00
- Armenian Apostolic Church urges politicians to start talks 25 February 2021, 15:04
- Omsk resident fined 375,000 rubles for excusing terror attack in New Zealand 25 February 2021, 11:48
- Yakutian shaman Gabyshev charged with violence against police officer 25 February 2021, 10:45
- Meeting between Russian patriarch, Pope doesn't improve Christians' position in Middle East contrary to expectations - Metropolitan Hilarion 24 February 2021, 10:00
- Muscovites will choose between monuments to Dzerzhinsky, Alexander Nevsky on Lubyanka Square 20 February 2021, 10:03
- Former schema-monk Sergy admits giving bribe amounting to 'millions of dollars' 18 February 2021, 16:30
- World Russian People's Council backs idea of Ivan III monument on Lubyanka Square in Moscow 18 February 2021, 16:11
- FJCR suggests reinstalling fountain at Lubyanka 18 February 2021, 15:30
- Suspected organizer of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Russia's Kemerovo region placed under house arrest 17 February 2021, 14:11
- Police detain man who splashed Holocaust monument in Yerevan with paint 17 February 2021, 13:44
- The giant castle of corona cannibal to be burned in Russia on Maslenitsa 17 February 2021, 12:08
- Lawyers' association supports bill limiting surrogate motherhood in Russia 17 February 2021, 10:00
- FSB detain people suspected of financing ISIL under guise of donations to mosques in Crimea, Tatarstan 16 February 2021, 15:19
- World Union of Old Believers backs idea to place Ivan III monument on Moscow's Lubyanka Square 16 February 2021, 09:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion concerned by detention on non-participants in unsanctioned rallies 15 February 2021, 09:17
- Moscow court arrests 2 Jehovah's Witnesses 15 February 2021, 09:15
- Foreign Intelligence Service head compares those who insult WWII veterans to Nazi collaborators 12 February 2021, 11:53
- Congress of the Leaders of World and Traditional Religions in Kazakhstan postponed to next year 12 February 2021, 11:07
- Sputnik V vaccine halal - Gamaleya Center expert 12 February 2021, 10:03
- Court denies former schema hegumen Sergy right to participate in dispute over church on territory of Sredneuralsky Convent 10 February 2021, 20:39
- Several organizers of Jehovah's Witnesses cell detained in Moscow 10 February 2021, 11:43
- Resident of Russia's Dagestan jailed for 10 years for killing local rabbi 10 February 2021, 11:14
- Tajik authorities classify sentence of opposition Islamic party leader 09 February 2021, 17:35