04 September 2018, 10:30
Moscow's "interventions" in Ukrainian church affairs "uncanonical" - Patriarch Bartholomew (updated)
Washington/Moscow, September 3, Interfax - Patriarch Bartholomew has insisted on the right by the Church of Constantinople to resolve the Ukrainian church problem without the Moscow Patriarchate.
"Since Russia, as the one responsible for the current painful situation in Ukraine, is unable to solve the problem, the Ecumenical Patriarchate assumed the initiative of resolving the problem in accordance with the authority afforded to it by the Sacred Canons and the jurisdictional responsibility over the eparchy of Kiev, receiving a request to this end by the honorable Ukrainian Government, as well as recurring requests by 'Patriarch' Philaret of Kiev appealing for our adjudication of his case," Patriarch Bartholomew said at the Church of Constantinople's Synaxis, held in Istanbul since last Saturday.
"The uncanonical interventions of Moscow from time to time in the affairs of Kiev and the toleration on the part of the Ecumenical Patriarchate in previous years do not validate any ecclesiastical violation," the patriarch of Constantinople said.
The patriarch cast doubt on the canonicity of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church's subordination to the Moscow Patriarchate.
"Already from the early 14thcentury, when the see of the Kievan Metropolis was moved without the canonical permission of the Mother Church to Moscow, there have been tireless efforts on the part of our Kievan brothers for independence from ecclesiastical control by the Moscow center.
"Indeed, the obstinacy of the Patriarchate of Moscow was instrumental in occasionally creating repeated mergers and restorations of ecclesiastical eparchies, uncanonical elections of bishops as well as schisms, which still afflict the pious Ukrainian people.
"The Tome proclaiming Moscow as a Patriarchate does not include the region of today's Metropolis of Kiev in the jurisdiction of Moscow. Moreover, after the well-known manner of proclamation of Moscow as a Patriarchate by Ecumenical Patriarch Jeremiah II (Tranos), the canonical dependence of Kiev to the Mother Church of Constantinople remained constant and uninterrupted," Patriarch Bartholomew said.
The text of his speech was published on the website of the (Patriarchate of Constantinople's) Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA.
Moscow Patriarchate representatives have not yet commented on the patriarch's speech.
- About 1 billion rubles were collected for building the main church of Russian Military Forces 21 September 2018, 18:29
- Serbian Orthodox Church opposes Constantinople's claim to determine Ukrainian Church's future 21 September 2018, 16:57
- Moscow lacks at least 20 synagogues 21 September 2018, 13:13
- Metropolitan Onufry is Ukraine's sole canonical Orthodox leader - Jerusalem Church's exarch 20 September 2018, 18:45
- Jehovah's Witnesses detained in Perm 20 September 2018, 15:23
- Poroshenko promises state protection for clergy, laity of Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Moscow Patriarchate who join unified local church 20 September 2018, 14:11
- Putin attends sanctification ceremony for foundation stone of military's main church at Patriot Park 20 September 2018, 10:00
- Russian Church to help Syria return to peaceful life - Patriarch Kirill 19 September 2018, 10:00
- Putin, Erdogan didn't discuss conflict between Russian Orthodox Church, Constantinople – Peskov 18 September 2018, 12:23
- Constantinople exarch in Kiev collects works of Ukrainian nationalists 18 September 2018, 10:20
- Constantinople's exarch says willing to cooperate with "Kiev Patriarchate" 17 September 2018, 19:01
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls Constantinople policy mean 17 September 2018, 17:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion recommends Constantinople to form "one local Church in America" 17 September 2018, 17:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion accuses U.S. of deliberately destroying Russian Orthodox Church 17 September 2018, 11:32
- Russian Orthodox Church says Patriarchate of Constantinople status might be reviewed 14 September 2018, 21:55
- Patriarch Kirill's spokesman likens state of Moscow-Constantinople relations with yellow traffic light 14 September 2018, 21:53
- Moscow Patriarchate suspends mentioning of Patriarch Bartholomew in prayers at church services 14 September 2018, 21:48
- Constantinople Patriarchate has no right to interfere in Ukrainian church affairs - Metropolitan Onufry 14 September 2018, 15:29
- Constantinople has 'tradition' of encouraging schisms in Russian Orthodox Church - Patriarch Kirill 14 September 2018, 15:14
- Moldovan president proposes outlawing gay prides 14 September 2018, 14:31
- Kremlin following current session of Holy Synod of Russian Orthodox Church - Peskov 14 September 2018, 14:23
- UOC official believes most of its parishioners won't leave for Constantinople's "autocephaly" 14 September 2018, 09:43
- Russian Orthodox Church Holy Synod to hold extraordinary meeting on Sept 14 13 September 2018, 20:55
- Situation surrounding Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Kiev is state's brutal interference in Church affairs - Russian Foreign Ministry 13 September 2018, 17:15
- Metropolitan Hilarion meets with apostolic nuncio to Russia 13 September 2018, 14:07
- Greece's visa denial to Metropolitan Varsonofy scandalous - Moscow Patriarchate 13 September 2018, 13:06
- Constantinople's actions can result in a schism in Orthodoxy, exceeding the Great Schism of 1054, Russian church official says 13 September 2018, 13:03
- The Russian Orthodox Church urges UOC believers to unite around Metropolitan Onufry 13 September 2018, 11:53
- Constantinople legates arrive in Ukraine - sources 12 September 2018, 19:31
- Metropolitan Onufry calls on flock to stay faithful to the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church 12 September 2018, 17:08