04 September 2018, 10:30
Moscow's "interventions" in Ukrainian church affairs "uncanonical" - Patriarch Bartholomew (updated)
Washington/Moscow, September 3, Interfax - Patriarch Bartholomew has insisted on the right by the Church of Constantinople to resolve the Ukrainian church problem without the Moscow Patriarchate.
"Since Russia, as the one responsible for the current painful situation in Ukraine, is unable to solve the problem, the Ecumenical Patriarchate assumed the initiative of resolving the problem in accordance with the authority afforded to it by the Sacred Canons and the jurisdictional responsibility over the eparchy of Kiev, receiving a request to this end by the honorable Ukrainian Government, as well as recurring requests by 'Patriarch' Philaret of Kiev appealing for our adjudication of his case," Patriarch Bartholomew said at the Church of Constantinople's Synaxis, held in Istanbul since last Saturday.
"The uncanonical interventions of Moscow from time to time in the affairs of Kiev and the toleration on the part of the Ecumenical Patriarchate in previous years do not validate any ecclesiastical violation," the patriarch of Constantinople said.
The patriarch cast doubt on the canonicity of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church's subordination to the Moscow Patriarchate.
"Already from the early 14thcentury, when the see of the Kievan Metropolis was moved without the canonical permission of the Mother Church to Moscow, there have been tireless efforts on the part of our Kievan brothers for independence from ecclesiastical control by the Moscow center.
"Indeed, the obstinacy of the Patriarchate of Moscow was instrumental in occasionally creating repeated mergers and restorations of ecclesiastical eparchies, uncanonical elections of bishops as well as schisms, which still afflict the pious Ukrainian people.
"The Tome proclaiming Moscow as a Patriarchate does not include the region of today's Metropolis of Kiev in the jurisdiction of Moscow. Moreover, after the well-known manner of proclamation of Moscow as a Patriarchate by Ecumenical Patriarch Jeremiah II (Tranos), the canonical dependence of Kiev to the Mother Church of Constantinople remained constant and uninterrupted," Patriarch Bartholomew said.
The text of his speech was published on the website of the (Patriarchate of Constantinople's) Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA.
Moscow Patriarchate representatives have not yet commented on the patriarch's speech.
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's Metropolitan Simeon to attend "unification" council - media 15 November 2018, 22:20
- U.S. embassy concerned by Kiev's St. Andrew Church attack 15 November 2018, 19:25
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church warns of schemes using its bishops' signatures at unification assembly 15 November 2018, 15:46
- Unknown individuals attack St. Andrew's Church, transferred to Ecumenical Patriarchate, in Kiev 15 November 2018, 15:34
- Dissenting bishops of canonical Ukrainian Church might ignore 'unifying assembly' - Metropolitan Hilarion 15 November 2018, 14:56
- Constantinople deceiving supporters of Ukrainian autocephaly - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 15 November 2018, 12:11
- "Kiev Patriarchate" may nominate Filaret for head of new church 15 November 2018, 12:02
- Date of unification assembly not known yet - "Kiev Patriarchate" 15 November 2018, 11:10
- Upcoming 'uniting' assembly in Ukraine to have negligible canonical consequences - Russian Orthodox Church 14 November 2018, 21:58
- "Unification" council to be held in Ukraine on Nov 22 - media (updated) 14 November 2018, 21:54
- Poroshenko had angry phone call with Metropolitan Onufry - media 14 November 2018, 15:36
- Poroshenko administration refuses to show journalists agreement with Patriarch Bartholomew 14 November 2018, 13:58
- Ukrainian state to protect right to choose church jurisdiction - Poroshenko to Ukrainian hierarchs of Moscow Patriarchate 14 November 2018, 11:15
- Metropolitan Hilarion, Deputy Foreign Minister Karasin discuss Syria's humanitarian crisis, Christians' protection 14 November 2018, 11:08
- Duma proposes drawing up map of Greek churches, monasteries Russian Orthodox believers can visit 14 November 2018, 11:05
- Poroshenko phones Metropolitan Onufry, surprised why archbishops did not come - source 13 November 2018, 21:27
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church eagerly wants to protect its name - Bishop's Council 13 November 2018, 20:00
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church bishops refuse to take part in creation of autocephalous church 13 November 2018, 19:25
- Archbishops' Council of Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church ready to meet with Ukrainian president, but on church soil - statement 13 November 2018, 19:05
- Poroshenko no-show at Kiev Monastery of the Caves to meet with Ukrainian Church clergy 13 November 2018, 17:13
- Metropolitan of Kiev denounces attempts to turn church into 'political tool' 13 November 2018, 17:03
- Chernigov clergy remain committed to canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church 13 November 2018, 16:59
- Zhitomir Diocese supports Metropolitan Onufry 13 November 2018, 10:49
- Serbian Church Council denounces Constantinople's actions in Ukraine 12 November 2018, 18:41
- Putin stresses importance of friendly relations between Russia, Muslim countries 12 November 2018, 15:01
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church not to participate in unifying assembly – chancellor 12 November 2018, 13:29
- Patriarch Kirill sends priest to Istanbul to care for Russian believers after severance of relations with Constantinople 12 November 2018, 13:25
- Unification assembly in Ukraine unlikely to be held before end of Nov - media 09 November 2018, 17:20
- Lugansk Diocese supports Metropolitan Onufry 09 November 2018, 10:59
- Rector of Moscow Theological Academy added to Mirotvorets database (updated) 08 November 2018, 18:11