03 September 2018, 19:51
Catholic Church in Russia still has not adopted a decision on liturgical honoring of the Slovak girl killed by a Soviet soldier
Moscow, September 3, Interfax - Russian Catholics still have not adopted a decision on liturgical veneration of Slovak girl Anna Kolesarova who was killed by a Soviet soldier as she refused to have relations with him.
As was reported, on the eve the Catholic Church of Slovakia committed the act of Anna's beatification, which precedes canonization.
"Any act of beatification is recognized by the whole Catholic Church, but it does not mean compulsory liturgical honoring of a person in the whole Catholic world. The Catholic Church in Russia still has not considered veneration of this saint in the calendar," general secretary of the Conference of Catholic Bishops of Russia Rev. Igor Kovalevsky told Interfax-Religion.
He noted that many saints are venerated only in the local calendar and Anna Kolesarova is a locally venerated saint. Though the rank of her veneration can be expanded in future, today Anna's liturgical veneration is voluntarily. The priest said that on the eve he commemorated her at the Sunday mass as he considered the girl an "example for all Catholics."
The interviewee of the agency urged not to seek any political motives in beatification of the girl killed by a Russian soldier.
"Beatification and canonization are carried out by religious motives, not political ones. In this case we speak about such virtues as chastity, devotion to the Gospels, there can not be any politics in it," the priest stressed.
As analogical examples, when during canonization political moments were not considered, Father Igor pointed out to the example of Pope Pius IX of Rome, who had opposed unification of Italy, and Nicholas II who was canonized not for his decisions adopted as the emperor, but for martyr death and devotion to Christian virtues.
- Metropolitan Hilarion doesn't consider Moscow "the third Rome" 15 July 2019, 12:10
- Church split isn't matter for Russian, Ukrainian presidents - Russian Orthodox Church 15 July 2019, 11:16
- Rights of sexual minorities should not be violated in Russia – Moskalkova 10 July 2019, 14:10
- Priest's statement that women are less smart than men is nonsense - Russian human rights council head 10 July 2019, 11:50
- Holy Synod of Russian Church speaks out against split of Serbian Church in Montenegro 10 July 2019, 10:38
- Lukashenko denies rumors of secret talks he might have with Putin in Valaam 09 July 2019, 12:25
- Almost half of Jewish Europeans considering emigrating over antisemitism - report 08 July 2019, 18:41
- Women less smart than men - head of patriarch's commission 08 July 2019, 17:46
- Filaret 'Moscow's ally' - Orthodox Church of Ukraine 08 July 2019, 17:44
- Georgian priests demand square before parliament be cleared of protesters' banners 08 July 2019, 13:19
- Georgian LGBT community calls off Tbilisi action due to threats 08 July 2019, 12:06
- Putin speaks of pope's favorite writers, Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy 05 July 2019, 13:20
- Pope hails Russia's efforts to protect Christian holy places in Syria – Peskov 05 July 2019, 13:09
- Putin, Pope Francis did not discuss latter's visit to Russia – Peskov 05 July 2019, 13:07
- Putin talked with Pope Francis about protection of Christians in Syria 05 July 2019, 12:14
- Names of submariners killed in Barents Sea to be perpetuated on Kronstadt Naval Cathedral's walls 04 July 2019, 18:28
- Russian Orthodox Church hails contacts between Putin, Vatican 04 July 2019, 17:54
- Putin - Pope Francis meeting lasted exactly one hour (updated) 04 July 2019, 17:06
- Inviting Pope to Russia not to be raised during Putin's visit to Vatican - Ushakov 03 July 2019, 18:22
- Putin in Vatican to discuss restoration of Christian shrines in Syria, Roman Church's humanitarian projects in Donbas, Venezuela 03 July 2019, 18:20
- Filaret declares tomos granted by Constantinople to Ukraine false 02 July 2019, 18:03
- Peskov unaware whether Putin plans to invite Pope to Russia 01 July 2019, 14:39
- The Russian Orthodox Church condemns the law on bishops’ citizenship adopted in Latvia 01 July 2019, 13:29
- Soil from royal family burial site in Yekaterinburg to be re-examined - Memorial of Romanovs foundation 01 July 2019, 10:55
- Elton John musical genius but errs on issue of attitudes towards gays in Russia – Putin 01 July 2019, 10:39
- Russian Orthodox Church offers to set up the rights of embryo in legislation 28 June 2019, 17:35
- Ukraine is turning in Waterloo for Patriarch Bartholomew, the Russian church official believes 28 June 2019, 17:32
- Russian Orthodox Church can change its statute to include Russian exarchate of Constantinople 28 June 2019, 14:12
- Synod of Ukraine's new church deprives Filaret of right to run Kiev Diocese 24 June 2019, 17:53
- Underground church discovered in Moldavia 24 June 2019, 17:49