07 September 2018, 20:13
Russian Orthodox Church warns about response to appointment by Ecumenical Patriarch of his exarchs in Ukraine
Moscow, September 7, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate sees the Patriarch of Constantinople's decision to appoint two bishops as its exarchs in Ukraine as an unprecedentedly gross incursion into its territory and warns that this step would not be left unanswered.
"The appointment by the Patriarch of Constantinople of his episcopal representatives in Ukraine, without agreement with the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia and His Beatitude Metropolitan of Kiev and All Ukraine, is nothing but an unprecedentedly gross incursion into the Moscow Patriarchate's canonical territory," Vladimir Legoyda, head of the Synodal Department for Church, Society and Media Relations, said on a social network on Friday evening.
"These actions cannot be left unanswered," he said.
The Ecumenical Patriarchate's Permanent Delegation to the World Council of Churches announced in a statement on its website earlier on Friday that it had appointed Archbishop Daniel of Pamphilon from the United States and Bishop Hilarion of Edmonton (Canada) as its exarchs in Kiev "within the framework of the preparations for the granting of autocephaly to the Orthodox Church in Ukraine."
Both Archbishop Daniel and Bishop Hilarion "are serving the Ukrainian Orthodox faithful in their respective countries under the Ecumenical Patriarchate," the statement says.
- The Synod of Ukrainian Orthodox Church asks Zelensky to put an end to her oppression 12 May 2022, 17:27
- Jehovah's Witnesses member in Nizhny Novgorod given 6-year suspended sentence 12 May 2022, 11:23
- Sanctions against Patriarch Kirill will not affect his activities in any way – Russian Church 10 May 2022, 15:28
- Patriarch Kirill describes Russia as self-sufficient country which doesn't want to harm anyone 08 May 2022, 17:15
- Patriarch Kirill calls on believers to pray for Russia to be protected from external, internal enemies 06 May 2022, 14:26
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church says bans on its activities imposed by local authorities have no legal force 06 May 2022, 12:06
- Russia to hold consultations with Hamas on situation around Al-Aqsa 05 May 2022, 11:21
- Patriarch Kirill can't be scared with sanctions - Russian Orthodox Church 04 May 2022, 16:01
- Pope Francis' recount of conversation with Patriarch Kirill incorrect - Russian Orthodox Church 04 May 2022, 15:38
- Russian Orthodox Church asks to use its potential in opening humanitarian corridors in special operation zone 04 May 2022, 14:47
- No agreement on Putin's meeting with Pontiff – Peskov 04 May 2022, 14:10
- Russia never attacked anyone, always protected its borders - Patriarch Kirill 04 May 2022, 12:10
- Russian Orthodox Church indicates interest in achievement of lasting peace in Ukraine 29 April 2022, 16:44
- The Russian Church' speaker calls the "culture of cancellation" a self-reprimand of civilization 29 April 2022, 12:46
- The Russian Foreign Ministry advised Washington to take care of religious freedoms in the United States 29 April 2022, 12:39
- Serbian patriarch assures Patriarch Kirill of support of Russian Orthodox Church amid Ukraine crisis 27 April 2022, 22:26
- The Russian Security Council paid tribute to Christian leaders who disagree with the Russophobia of the "collective West" 27 April 2022, 15:40
- Belarusian MPs approve imposition of death penalty for terrorism 27 April 2022, 13:53
- The ISS crew showed Patriarch Kirill a cake floating in zero gravity 27 April 2022, 11:18
- Patrushev advocated the reform of education in the Russia with an emphasis on the development of intelligence and spirituality 27 April 2022, 10:59
- Patrushev pointed out the special role of Russia in shaping the geopolitical and moral climate in the world 27 April 2022, 10:32
- Twenty-eight terror attacks prevented in Russia in 2021 - prosecutor general 26 April 2022, 13:50
- Patriarch Kirill urges Russians to stand up to protect national independence 25 April 2022, 17:48
- Russian Orthodox Church views idea to impose sanctions on Patriarch Kirill as rejection of common sense 24 April 2022, 16:51
- Meeting between Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis postponed due to events of recent months - Russian Church 22 April 2022, 14:17
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church proposes evacuating civilians, casualties from Mariupol 21 April 2022, 17:08
- About 30% of Russian women of reproductive age want to have at least 3 children – poll 21 April 2022, 15:53
- Russian Orthodox Church trusted by two-thirds of Russians – poll 21 April 2022, 10:00
- Over 60% of Russians identify themselves as Orthodox, 23% say they are atheists 20 April 2022, 10:00
- Kremlin expects Israeli authorities to help resolve Alexander Metochion situation 19 April 2022, 16:02