07 September 2018, 20:13
Russian Orthodox Church warns about response to appointment by Ecumenical Patriarch of his exarchs in Ukraine
Moscow, September 7, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate sees the Patriarch of Constantinople's decision to appoint two bishops as its exarchs in Ukraine as an unprecedentedly gross incursion into its territory and warns that this step would not be left unanswered.
"The appointment by the Patriarch of Constantinople of his episcopal representatives in Ukraine, without agreement with the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia and His Beatitude Metropolitan of Kiev and All Ukraine, is nothing but an unprecedentedly gross incursion into the Moscow Patriarchate's canonical territory," Vladimir Legoyda, head of the Synodal Department for Church, Society and Media Relations, said on a social network on Friday evening.
"These actions cannot be left unanswered," he said.
The Ecumenical Patriarchate's Permanent Delegation to the World Council of Churches announced in a statement on its website earlier on Friday that it had appointed Archbishop Daniel of Pamphilon from the United States and Bishop Hilarion of Edmonton (Canada) as its exarchs in Kiev "within the framework of the preparations for the granting of autocephaly to the Orthodox Church in Ukraine."
Both Archbishop Daniel and Bishop Hilarion "are serving the Ukrainian Orthodox faithful in their respective countries under the Ecumenical Patriarchate," the statement says.
- Founder of Russian icon museum - among victims of helicopter crash in Greece 22 August 2019, 12:50
- Al-Assad asks for Russian language teachers in Syria to counter Western culture and Wahhabism - Russian MP 20 August 2019, 15:28
- Ukraine has made a great contribution to combating antisemitism - Netanyahu 19 August 2019, 18:19
- Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church ceases to exist 14 August 2019, 20:12
- Over 60% of Russians identify as Orthodox, 1 out of every 6 is atheist - poll 14 August 2019, 13:51
- Russian Orthodox Church offers "Russian exarchate" to join it preserving its statute and traditions 12 August 2019, 15:33
- Gay couple with adopted children can't return to Russia yet - rights activists 12 August 2019, 14:53
- Zelensky discusses Crimea, Donbass with Patriarch Bartholomew 09 August 2019, 11:58
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church sees good signal in Zelensky's remarks at meeting with Patriarch Bartholomew 08 August 2019, 20:25
- Zelensky promises Patriarch Bartholomew: state won't interfere in church affairs 08 August 2019, 16:51
- Russian Jewish community leader calls news of Vilnius Synagogue closure frightening 08 August 2019, 14:31
- Vilnius synagogue closes due to local Jews' safety fears 07 August 2019, 20:39
- The battles of Stalingrad, Moscow to be depicted at facades of the main church of Russian military forces 07 August 2019, 17:25
- The Russian Orthodox Church criticizes the project of 'futuristic' church in Moscow 07 August 2019, 17:23
- Patriarch Kirill sends condolences to Trump over deadly shootings in Texas, Ohio 06 August 2019, 13:18
- U.S. consul general denies Washington's involvement in Yekaterinburg protests 05 August 2019, 18:47
- Zelensky planning to meet with Erdogan, Patriarch Bartholomew during Turkey visit 05 August 2019, 11:48
- Vatican embassy describes reports on pontiff's visit to Russia on May 9, 2020, as rumors 01 August 2019, 16:21
- Patriarch Kirill sees the threat of restricting human freedom in digital technologies 01 August 2019, 15:52
- Baikal shamans bring sheep and vodka to their gods to help extinguishing fire 01 August 2019, 15:50
- 300,000 Ukrainian Orthodox Church believers participate in the procession with cross on the Day of Russia’s Baptism 29 July 2019, 10:59
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church hopes Zelensky's anti-raiding decree will affect religious sphere 24 July 2019, 17:22
- Pope Francis of Rome congratulates Russian opera singer Svetlana Kasyan on her birthday 24 July 2019, 16:29
- Court of Appeal recognized illegal the Ukrainian state’s attempt to rename the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 24 July 2019, 13:56
- Religion section editor of Dagestani newspaper charged with financing terrorism 24 July 2019, 13:22
- The Russian Church warns that Trump's taxes on Chinese goods may lead to crisis of Christian mission in the USA 22 July 2019, 16:35
- Sagrada Familia and Notre Dame listed among five most frequently photoed sights 22 July 2019, 13:56
- "Contemporary" church to be built in the Setun valley in Moscow 22 July 2019, 11:38
- Georgian campaigners for gay propaganda ban hand out treats for signatures 22 July 2019, 11:34
- Icons presented to Putin and Lukashenko at Konevets monastery near St. Petersburg 18 July 2019, 11:58