08 September 2018, 15:25
Russian Orthodox Church's Synod accuses Patriarchate of Constantinople of 'gross violation of canons' over sending exarchs to Ukraine (updated)
Moscow, September 8, Interfax - The Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church has made a special statement on Saturday due to the assignment of two exarchs, representatives of Patriarch Bartholomew, to Ukraine.
"The Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church has expressed resolute protest and deep outrage over the statement of September 7, 2018, of the General Secretariat of the Holy Synod of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople announcing the appointment of two hierarchs of this church, archbishop Daniel (the U.S.) and Bishop Hilarion of Edmonton (Canada), as 'exarchs' of the Patriarchate of Constantinople in Kiev," the Synod said in a statement posted on the Russian Orthodox Church's official website.
The Synod members have noted that this decision was made without an approval of Patriarch Kirill and Metropolitan Onufry of Kiev and is "a grossest violation of the church canons, which forbid bishops of one local church to interfere with other local church's internal life and affairs."
This decision also "fully contradicts the previously unwavering stance of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople and personally Patriarch Bartholomew, who have repeatedly said that he recognizes His Holiness Metropolitan Onufry as the only canonical head of the Orthodox Church in Ukraine," the statement said.
The Moscow Synod pointed out that the decision of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople to take into consideration the issue of granting autocephaly to "Ukraine's Orthodox believers" was made "against the will of bishops of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, who unilaterally stood in favor of maintaining its current status."
"By means of justifying its interference with affairs of other local church, the Patriarch of Constantinople cites false interpretations of historical facts and exceptional powers he allegedly has, which no one has ever had and no one has in reality," the Synod said.
"These actions bring relations between the Russian Church and the Church of Constantinople into a deadlock and pose a real threat to the unity of the entire global Orthodox Christianity," it said.
"Whole responsibility of these uncanonical actions lies personally at the door of Patriarch Bartholomew and all persons in the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople supporting them," the Holy Synod of the Russian Church said, adding that "the Moscow Patriarchate's response will promptly ensue."
On Friday, the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople appointed Archbishop Daniel of Pamphilon (the U.S) and Bishop Hilarion of Edmonton (Canada) as its exarchs in Kiev "within the framework of the preparations for the granting of autocephaly to the Orthodox Church in Ukraine."
- About 1 billion rubles were collected for building the main church of Russian Military Forces 21 September 2018, 18:29
- Serbian Orthodox Church opposes Constantinople's claim to determine Ukrainian Church's future 21 September 2018, 16:57
- Moscow lacks at least 20 synagogues 21 September 2018, 13:13
- Metropolitan Onufry is Ukraine's sole canonical Orthodox leader - Jerusalem Church's exarch 20 September 2018, 18:45
- Jehovah's Witnesses detained in Perm 20 September 2018, 15:23
- Poroshenko promises state protection for clergy, laity of Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Moscow Patriarchate who join unified local church 20 September 2018, 14:11
- Putin attends sanctification ceremony for foundation stone of military's main church at Patriot Park 20 September 2018, 10:00
- Russian Church to help Syria return to peaceful life - Patriarch Kirill 19 September 2018, 10:00
- Putin, Erdogan didn't discuss conflict between Russian Orthodox Church, Constantinople – Peskov 18 September 2018, 12:23
- Constantinople exarch in Kiev collects works of Ukrainian nationalists 18 September 2018, 10:20
- Constantinople's exarch says willing to cooperate with "Kiev Patriarchate" 17 September 2018, 19:01
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls Constantinople policy mean 17 September 2018, 17:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion recommends Constantinople to form "one local Church in America" 17 September 2018, 17:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion accuses U.S. of deliberately destroying Russian Orthodox Church 17 September 2018, 11:32
- Russian Orthodox Church says Patriarchate of Constantinople status might be reviewed 14 September 2018, 21:55
- Patriarch Kirill's spokesman likens state of Moscow-Constantinople relations with yellow traffic light 14 September 2018, 21:53
- Moscow Patriarchate suspends mentioning of Patriarch Bartholomew in prayers at church services 14 September 2018, 21:48
- Constantinople Patriarchate has no right to interfere in Ukrainian church affairs - Metropolitan Onufry 14 September 2018, 15:29
- Constantinople has 'tradition' of encouraging schisms in Russian Orthodox Church - Patriarch Kirill 14 September 2018, 15:14
- Moldovan president proposes outlawing gay prides 14 September 2018, 14:31
- Kremlin following current session of Holy Synod of Russian Orthodox Church - Peskov 14 September 2018, 14:23
- UOC official believes most of its parishioners won't leave for Constantinople's "autocephaly" 14 September 2018, 09:43
- Russian Orthodox Church Holy Synod to hold extraordinary meeting on Sept 14 13 September 2018, 20:55
- Situation surrounding Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Kiev is state's brutal interference in Church affairs - Russian Foreign Ministry 13 September 2018, 17:15
- Metropolitan Hilarion meets with apostolic nuncio to Russia 13 September 2018, 14:07
- Greece's visa denial to Metropolitan Varsonofy scandalous - Moscow Patriarchate 13 September 2018, 13:06
- Constantinople's actions can result in a schism in Orthodoxy, exceeding the Great Schism of 1054, Russian church official says 13 September 2018, 13:03
- The Russian Orthodox Church urges UOC believers to unite around Metropolitan Onufry 13 September 2018, 11:53
- Constantinople legates arrive in Ukraine - sources 12 September 2018, 19:31
- Metropolitan Onufry calls on flock to stay faithful to the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church 12 September 2018, 17:08