12 September 2018, 19:31
Constantinople legates arrive in Ukraine - sources
Moscow, September 12, Interfax - Sources said the two bishops appointed by the Patriarchate of Constantinople as its exarchs in Ukraine have already arrived in Kiev and had a walk around the Kiev Lavra of the Caves, the seat of the metropolitan of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Moscow Patriarchate).
"Archbishop Daniel of Pamphilon from the United States and Bishop Hilarion of Edmonton (Canada) were seen near the Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross. Workers at a church shop said one of the exarchs bought himself a panagia [encolpion]," the Union of Orthodox Journalists of Ukraine said on Wednesday.
The leader of the self-proclaimed "Kiev Patriarchate", Filaret Denisenko, met last weekend with the acting director of the Kiev Lavra Preserve, Aleksander Rudnik, and demanded that Block 19 of the monastery be transferred to the "Kiev Patriarchate", the Union said. It was reported later that this building was allotted for the Constantinople exarchs.
It had been reported earlier that the Patriarchate of Constantinople appointed two bishops as its exarchs in Kiev "within the framework of the preparations for the granting of autocephaly to the Orthodox Church in Ukraine." This was done in reply to Ukrainian President Pyotr Poroshenko's request on granting a tomos (ordinance) of autocephaly of a united local church in Ukraine.
Several days before, while speaking at a Synaxis (council) of active Metropolitans and Archbishops of the Ecumenical Throne in Istanbul on September 1, Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew said he assumed the initiative of overcoming the schism in Ukraine "since Russia, as the one responsible for the current painful situation in Ukraine, is unable to solve the problem." He said he did so in response to requests "by the honorable Ukrainian Government, as well as recurring requests by 'Patriarch' Filaret."
- Church unification assembly may be held in early Dec - Parubiy 19 November 2018, 13:10
- Synod of Ecumenical Patriarchate to decide on date of church unification assembly in Ukraine 19 November 2018, 12:20
- Donbass people affected by war get 15 mln euro aid from Pope 19 November 2018, 12:02
- "Kiev Patriarchate" denies rumors unification assembly set for Nov 22 19 November 2018, 11:59
- Polish Orthodox Church bans all contacts with Ukrainian schismatics 19 November 2018, 11:55
- Crimean Diocese of Ukrainian Orthodox Church has solidarity with Metropolitan Onufry 16 November 2018, 19:11
- Local church being created is political organization - Metropolitan Onufry 16 November 2018, 16:40
- Vinnitsa clergy refuse to follow their archbishop into 'local' church 16 November 2018, 15:22
- FSB searches apartments of Jehovah's Witnesses members in Crimea's Dzhankoy 16 November 2018, 11:00
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's Metropolitan Simeon to attend "unification" council - media 15 November 2018, 22:20
- U.S. embassy concerned by Kiev's St. Andrew Church attack 15 November 2018, 19:25
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church warns of schemes using its bishops' signatures at unification assembly 15 November 2018, 15:46
- Unknown individuals attack St. Andrew's Church, transferred to Ecumenical Patriarchate, in Kiev 15 November 2018, 15:34
- Dissenting bishops of canonical Ukrainian Church might ignore 'unifying assembly' - Metropolitan Hilarion 15 November 2018, 14:56
- Constantinople deceiving supporters of Ukrainian autocephaly - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 15 November 2018, 12:11
- "Kiev Patriarchate" may nominate Filaret for head of new church 15 November 2018, 12:02
- Date of unification assembly not known yet - "Kiev Patriarchate" 15 November 2018, 11:10
- Upcoming 'uniting' assembly in Ukraine to have negligible canonical consequences - Russian Orthodox Church 14 November 2018, 21:58
- "Unification" council to be held in Ukraine on Nov 22 - media (updated) 14 November 2018, 21:54
- Poroshenko had angry phone call with Metropolitan Onufry - media 14 November 2018, 15:36
- Poroshenko administration refuses to show journalists agreement with Patriarch Bartholomew 14 November 2018, 13:58
- Ukrainian state to protect right to choose church jurisdiction - Poroshenko to Ukrainian hierarchs of Moscow Patriarchate 14 November 2018, 11:15
- Metropolitan Hilarion, Deputy Foreign Minister Karasin discuss Syria's humanitarian crisis, Christians' protection 14 November 2018, 11:08
- Duma proposes drawing up map of Greek churches, monasteries Russian Orthodox believers can visit 14 November 2018, 11:05
- Poroshenko phones Metropolitan Onufry, surprised why archbishops did not come - source 13 November 2018, 21:27
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church eagerly wants to protect its name - Bishop's Council 13 November 2018, 20:00
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church bishops refuse to take part in creation of autocephalous church 13 November 2018, 19:25
- Archbishops' Council of Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church ready to meet with Ukrainian president, but on church soil - statement 13 November 2018, 19:05
- Poroshenko no-show at Kiev Monastery of the Caves to meet with Ukrainian Church clergy 13 November 2018, 17:13
- Metropolitan of Kiev denounces attempts to turn church into 'political tool' 13 November 2018, 17:03