25 September 2018, 17:24
Synod of Ukrainian Orthodox Church sees appointment of 2 Constantinople exarchs as interference in internal affairs (updated)
Moscow, September 25, Interfax - The Synod of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church called on Constantinope Patriarch Bartholomew to stop interfering in the church's affairs at a meeting on Tuesday.
"This appointment [of two exarchs in Kiev by Constantinople] was qualified as gross interference in the Ukrainian Orthodox Church's internal affairs and a violation of its canonical territory. Therefore, the Synod of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church called on Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople to stop interfering in the Ukrainian Orthodox Church's internal affairs and not violate its canonical territory," the Synod said in a decision posted on the Ukrainian Orthodox Church's website.
The two appointees, Archbishop Daniel of Pamphilon and Bishop Hilarion of Edmonton, "must leave the Ukrainian Orthodox Church's canonical territory," as their activities are uncanonical and disturb Ukraine's interfaith peace, the decision reads.
The Synod also announced that the Ukrainian Orthodox Church's episcopate had suspended concelebration with hierarchs of the Patriarchate of Constantinople.
The Synod called on the clergy, monastics, and laypeople to pray even more arduously for the preservation of the unity of Orthodoxy.
Ukrainian President Pyotr Poroshenko announced on April 17 that he would urge Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople to issue a tomos (ordinance) on setting up a "unified local church" in Ukraine. The idea met with protests from the Moscow Patriarchate and its self-governed element, the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church, which did not ask for autocephaly.
Patriarch Bartholomew accepted Poroshenko's address for consideration. Over the next several months, the Russian Church had bilateral contacts with other Orthodox Churches around the world to win their support for preventing interference in its internal affairs and the legalization of a schism in Ukraine.
Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia made his last attempt to settle the matter diplomatically by visiting Istanbul to meet with Patriarch Bartholomew on August 31. However, despite a "brotherly conversation," as both parties described it in interviews with journalists, the very next day Patriarch Bartholomew presented a report at an assembly of the Constantinople bishops in which he described Moscow's activities in Ukraine's ecclesiastical affairs as uncanonical interference and claimed this right for himself. Soon afterward, the Ecumenical Patriarchate announced the appointment of two bishops as its exarchs in Kiev to pave the way toward "Ukraine's autocephaly."
The Holy Synod of the Moscow Patriarchate qualified Constantinople's actions as incursion into its canonical territory and announced at on September 14 that it was suspending liturgical mention of the patriarch of Constantinople, which is seen by some as analogous to breaking off diplomatic relations.
- Al-Assad asks for Russian language teachers in Syria to counter Western culture and Wahhabism - Russian MP 20 August 2019, 15:28
- Ukraine has made a great contribution to combating antisemitism - Netanyahu 19 August 2019, 18:19
- Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church ceases to exist 14 August 2019, 20:12
- Over 60% of Russians identify as Orthodox, 1 out of every 6 is atheist - poll 14 August 2019, 13:51
- Russian Orthodox Church offers "Russian exarchate" to join it preserving its statute and traditions 12 August 2019, 15:33
- Gay couple with adopted children can't return to Russia yet - rights activists 12 August 2019, 14:53
- Zelensky discusses Crimea, Donbass with Patriarch Bartholomew 09 August 2019, 11:58
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church sees good signal in Zelensky's remarks at meeting with Patriarch Bartholomew 08 August 2019, 20:25
- Zelensky promises Patriarch Bartholomew: state won't interfere in church affairs 08 August 2019, 16:51
- Russian Jewish community leader calls news of Vilnius Synagogue closure frightening 08 August 2019, 14:31
- Vilnius synagogue closes due to local Jews' safety fears 07 August 2019, 20:39
- The battles of Stalingrad, Moscow to be depicted at facades of the main church of Russian military forces 07 August 2019, 17:25
- The Russian Orthodox Church criticizes the project of 'futuristic' church in Moscow 07 August 2019, 17:23
- Patriarch Kirill sends condolences to Trump over deadly shootings in Texas, Ohio 06 August 2019, 13:18
- U.S. consul general denies Washington's involvement in Yekaterinburg protests 05 August 2019, 18:47
- Zelensky planning to meet with Erdogan, Patriarch Bartholomew during Turkey visit 05 August 2019, 11:48
- Vatican embassy describes reports on pontiff's visit to Russia on May 9, 2020, as rumors 01 August 2019, 16:21
- Patriarch Kirill sees the threat of restricting human freedom in digital technologies 01 August 2019, 15:52
- Baikal shamans bring sheep and vodka to their gods to help extinguishing fire 01 August 2019, 15:50
- 300,000 Ukrainian Orthodox Church believers participate in the procession with cross on the Day of Russia’s Baptism 29 July 2019, 10:59
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church hopes Zelensky's anti-raiding decree will affect religious sphere 24 July 2019, 17:22
- Pope Francis of Rome congratulates Russian opera singer Svetlana Kasyan on her birthday 24 July 2019, 16:29
- Court of Appeal recognized illegal the Ukrainian state’s attempt to rename the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 24 July 2019, 13:56
- Religion section editor of Dagestani newspaper charged with financing terrorism 24 July 2019, 13:22
- The Russian Church warns that Trump's taxes on Chinese goods may lead to crisis of Christian mission in the USA 22 July 2019, 16:35
- Sagrada Familia and Notre Dame listed among five most frequently photoed sights 22 July 2019, 13:56
- "Contemporary" church to be built in the Setun valley in Moscow 22 July 2019, 11:38
- Georgian campaigners for gay propaganda ban hand out treats for signatures 22 July 2019, 11:34
- Icons presented to Putin and Lukashenko at Konevets monastery near St. Petersburg 18 July 2019, 11:58
- Russian Church hopes authorities will not impede Christianization Day procession in Ukraine 18 July 2019, 11:13