25 September 2018, 17:24
Synod of Ukrainian Orthodox Church sees appointment of 2 Constantinople exarchs as interference in internal affairs (updated)
Moscow, September 25, Interfax - The Synod of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church called on Constantinope Patriarch Bartholomew to stop interfering in the church's affairs at a meeting on Tuesday.
"This appointment [of two exarchs in Kiev by Constantinople] was qualified as gross interference in the Ukrainian Orthodox Church's internal affairs and a violation of its canonical territory. Therefore, the Synod of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church called on Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople to stop interfering in the Ukrainian Orthodox Church's internal affairs and not violate its canonical territory," the Synod said in a decision posted on the Ukrainian Orthodox Church's website.
The two appointees, Archbishop Daniel of Pamphilon and Bishop Hilarion of Edmonton, "must leave the Ukrainian Orthodox Church's canonical territory," as their activities are uncanonical and disturb Ukraine's interfaith peace, the decision reads.
The Synod also announced that the Ukrainian Orthodox Church's episcopate had suspended concelebration with hierarchs of the Patriarchate of Constantinople.
The Synod called on the clergy, monastics, and laypeople to pray even more arduously for the preservation of the unity of Orthodoxy.
Ukrainian President Pyotr Poroshenko announced on April 17 that he would urge Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople to issue a tomos (ordinance) on setting up a "unified local church" in Ukraine. The idea met with protests from the Moscow Patriarchate and its self-governed element, the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church, which did not ask for autocephaly.
Patriarch Bartholomew accepted Poroshenko's address for consideration. Over the next several months, the Russian Church had bilateral contacts with other Orthodox Churches around the world to win their support for preventing interference in its internal affairs and the legalization of a schism in Ukraine.
Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia made his last attempt to settle the matter diplomatically by visiting Istanbul to meet with Patriarch Bartholomew on August 31. However, despite a "brotherly conversation," as both parties described it in interviews with journalists, the very next day Patriarch Bartholomew presented a report at an assembly of the Constantinople bishops in which he described Moscow's activities in Ukraine's ecclesiastical affairs as uncanonical interference and claimed this right for himself. Soon afterward, the Ecumenical Patriarchate announced the appointment of two bishops as its exarchs in Kiev to pave the way toward "Ukraine's autocephaly."
The Holy Synod of the Moscow Patriarchate qualified Constantinople's actions as incursion into its canonical territory and announced at on September 14 that it was suspending liturgical mention of the patriarch of Constantinople, which is seen by some as analogous to breaking off diplomatic relations.
- Notre Dame fire is menacing sign to all Europe, including Russia - Patriarch Kirill's press secretary 19 April 2019, 21:05
- Russia ready to help France with Notre Dame fire inquiry - emergency minister 19 April 2019, 18:06
- Over 100 tons of matzo produced in Russia on the eve of Passover 18 April 2019, 18:02
- Patriarch Kirill sends condolences over the fire at Notre Dame Cathedral 18 April 2019, 13:30
- Bortnikov warns about 1,500 trained Islamist terrorists returning to Europe 18 April 2019, 13:21
- FSB director says concerned about anti-Islamic terrorism, psycho killers 18 April 2019, 11:36
- Russian Church about Notre Dame fire: the world will never be the same 17 April 2019, 11:19
- Kremlin announces readiness to send Russian specialists to help restore Notre Dame in Paris 16 April 2019, 12:32
- Parishioners return to the restored Armenian church in Aleppo 16 April 2019, 12:06
- Russian Culture Ministry to propose organizing fundraiser to help restore Paris' Notre Dame 16 April 2019, 12:02
- Putin offers sympathy over Notre Dame Cathedral fire, offers sending best Russian specialists to Paris – Kremlin 16 April 2019, 12:00
- Russian Orthodox priest believes "real men" exist only in the Special Forces 15 April 2019, 17:40
- Lavrov, Patriarch Kirill discuss church crisis in Ukraine, Christian presence in Middle East 15 April 2019, 10:51
- Peter the Great's charter by which he appoints Metropolitan of Kiev delivered to Ukraine from Germany 15 April 2019, 10:50
- Crosses dismantled in Kuropaty have nothing to do with perpetuation of memory of Stalinist-era victims - Belarusian Ministry of Forestry 12 April 2019, 09:15
- Tajik court sentences former functionary of prohibited Islamic party to 15 years in prison 10 April 2019, 14:19
- Passover to prevent Jews from voting on April 21 "before star-rise" - Ukraine's chief rabbi 09 April 2019, 19:05
- Kiev court finds involuntary renaming of canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church to be unlawful 08 April 2019, 10:56
- Synod conducts rotation of Patriarch Kirill's vicars 05 April 2019, 15:44
- Beautification works, dismantling of illegally erected crosses underway at Kuropaty 05 April 2019, 10:47
- Rabbi Lazar thanks Putin for his help in returning home Israeli soldier's remnants 04 April 2019, 19:01
- Head of OCU congratulates NATO on anniversary, calls to protect freedom from evil together 04 April 2019, 15:33
- Religious communities in Russia begin joint efforts for restoring schools in Syria 04 April 2019, 10:59
- Ukraine's new church fears possibility of tomos revocation 04 April 2019, 10:26
- 750,000 abortions performed in Russia annually, only one-fifth for medical reasons 03 April 2019, 14:29
- Russian Church calls on OSCE to boost religious freedom monitoring in Ukraine 03 April 2019, 12:25
- Karabakh settlement process cannot be one-way road - Catholicos of All Armenians 03 April 2019, 12:19
- ECHR to consider case of discrimination against UOC community in Rovno Region 01 April 2019, 18:18
- Leader of Russia's Jewish community outraged with new Rammstein video 29 March 2019, 18:28
- Kiev court to consider Church's name change lawsuit against Culture Ministry 29 March 2019, 18:22