26 September 2018, 12:54
Statements by Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod contradict Ukrainian traditions, appear to be attempt to fan conflict - Ukrainian Culture Ministry
Kiev, September 26, Interfax - The statements by the Synod of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church urging the exarchs of the Constantinople Patriarchate to leave Ukraine look like attempts to artificially stir up a conflict, the Ukrainian Culture Ministry said.
"The categorical and intolerant statements by the Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Moscow Patriarchate), which contradict Ukrainian traditions, look like an attempt to artificially stir up a conflict, instead of peaceful dialogue, and condoning with the desperate attempts of the Russian aggressor to obstruct free formation of a single local Orthodox church in Ukraine," the ministry's press service said.
Attempts by members of the Synod of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church to obstruct the activities of representatives of other churches, in particular, the exarch of the Ecumenical Patriarchate, are unacceptable, the ministry said.
"Neither Ukrainian legislation nor the traditions of inter-church relations in Ukraine envisage the right of bodies of one Church to dictate their will to another Church or its representatives," the press service said.
"The European principle of interreligious relations based on the principles of religious diversity will always work in Ukraine. Nobody [...] has the right to dictate their will to other structures or religious organizations in an open society, let alone be aggressive towards the activities of representatives of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople - the Church, whose first hierarchs blessed the creation of the Kiev Metropolitanate and its branches, now known as the Russian Orthodox Church," the press service said.
According to earlier reports, the Synod of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church on Tuesday called on Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople to stop interfering in the internal affairs of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14