26 September 2018, 17:52
Moscow Patriarchate replies to U.S. State Dept's statement on religious freedom in Ukraine
Moscow, September 26, Interfax - In reply to a statement released by the United States Department of State on the protection of religious freedom in Ukraine, the Moscow Patriarchate has insisted on the need to protect the rights of the parishioners of the canonical Church.
"The logic of protecting religious freedom suggests that the choice of the canonical Church, which has distanced itself from the granting of autocephaly, should be defended by American diplomacy as a manifestation of religious freedom," the deputy head of the Russian Orthodox Church's Synodal Department for Church, Society and Media Relations, Vakhtang Kipshidze, told Interfax-Religion on Wednesday.
U.S. State Department Spokesperson Heather Nauert said on Tuesday that the U.S. "respects the ability of Ukraine's Orthodox religious leaders and followers to pursue autocephaly according to their beliefs. We respect the Ecumenical Patriarch as a voice of religious tolerance and interfaith dialogue."
The U.S. "strongly supports religious freedom, including the freedom of members of groups to govern their religion according to their beliefs and practice their faiths freely without government interference," Nauert said.
Kipshidze said that the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church embraces most of the believers in the country and that the recent decision of its Synod not to take part in the "Constantinople affair" should be protected by mechanisms for protecting religious freedom both at the level of the U.S. Department of State and at the level of international organizations.
"If someone concludes from this statement that the State Department will support only what seems to be the 'right' choice in the area of religious freedom, this vision of religious freedom and freedom in general will fail to be understood either in Ukraine or even in the U.S. itself," Kipshidze said.
- Moscow Mayor Sobyanin proposes to leave Lubyanskaya Square as it is for now 26 February 2021, 22:42
- Acting leader of Abkhazian Diocese is member of Georgian Church - Georgian Patriarchate 26 February 2021, 17:44
- Search underway on premises of Sredneuralsky Convent 26 February 2021, 17:41
- Defrocked priest Sergy's pretrial detention extended until end of spring 26 February 2021, 10:00
- Armenian Apostolic Church urges politicians to start talks 25 February 2021, 15:04
- Omsk resident fined 375,000 rubles for excusing terror attack in New Zealand 25 February 2021, 11:48
- Yakutian shaman Gabyshev charged with violence against police officer 25 February 2021, 10:45
- Meeting between Russian patriarch, Pope doesn't improve Christians' position in Middle East contrary to expectations - Metropolitan Hilarion 24 February 2021, 10:00
- Muscovites will choose between monuments to Dzerzhinsky, Alexander Nevsky on Lubyanka Square 20 February 2021, 10:03
- Former schema-monk Sergy admits giving bribe amounting to 'millions of dollars' 18 February 2021, 16:30
- World Russian People's Council backs idea of Ivan III monument on Lubyanka Square in Moscow 18 February 2021, 16:11
- FJCR suggests reinstalling fountain at Lubyanka 18 February 2021, 15:30
- Suspected organizer of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Russia's Kemerovo region placed under house arrest 17 February 2021, 14:11
- Police detain man who splashed Holocaust monument in Yerevan with paint 17 February 2021, 13:44
- The giant castle of corona cannibal to be burned in Russia on Maslenitsa 17 February 2021, 12:08
- Lawyers' association supports bill limiting surrogate motherhood in Russia 17 February 2021, 10:00
- FSB detain people suspected of financing ISIL under guise of donations to mosques in Crimea, Tatarstan 16 February 2021, 15:19
- World Union of Old Believers backs idea to place Ivan III monument on Moscow's Lubyanka Square 16 February 2021, 09:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion concerned by detention on non-participants in unsanctioned rallies 15 February 2021, 09:17
- Moscow court arrests 2 Jehovah's Witnesses 15 February 2021, 09:15
- Foreign Intelligence Service head compares those who insult WWII veterans to Nazi collaborators 12 February 2021, 11:53
- Congress of the Leaders of World and Traditional Religions in Kazakhstan postponed to next year 12 February 2021, 11:07
- Sputnik V vaccine halal - Gamaleya Center expert 12 February 2021, 10:03
- Court denies former schema hegumen Sergy right to participate in dispute over church on territory of Sredneuralsky Convent 10 February 2021, 20:39
- Several organizers of Jehovah's Witnesses cell detained in Moscow 10 February 2021, 11:43
- Resident of Russia's Dagestan jailed for 10 years for killing local rabbi 10 February 2021, 11:14
- Tajik authorities classify sentence of opposition Islamic party leader 09 February 2021, 17:35
- The International Day of Human Brotherhood celebrates in Russia for the first time 09 February 2021, 10:13
- Tolerance lessons have already been held for half a million schoolchildren in Russia 09 February 2021, 10:04
- Moscow City Court upholds arrest of schema-hegumen Sergy 09 February 2021, 10:00