26 September 2018, 17:52
Moscow Patriarchate replies to U.S. State Dept's statement on religious freedom in Ukraine
Moscow, September 26, Interfax - In reply to a statement released by the United States Department of State on the protection of religious freedom in Ukraine, the Moscow Patriarchate has insisted on the need to protect the rights of the parishioners of the canonical Church.
"The logic of protecting religious freedom suggests that the choice of the canonical Church, which has distanced itself from the granting of autocephaly, should be defended by American diplomacy as a manifestation of religious freedom," the deputy head of the Russian Orthodox Church's Synodal Department for Church, Society and Media Relations, Vakhtang Kipshidze, told Interfax-Religion on Wednesday.
U.S. State Department Spokesperson Heather Nauert said on Tuesday that the U.S. "respects the ability of Ukraine's Orthodox religious leaders and followers to pursue autocephaly according to their beliefs. We respect the Ecumenical Patriarch as a voice of religious tolerance and interfaith dialogue."
The U.S. "strongly supports religious freedom, including the freedom of members of groups to govern their religion according to their beliefs and practice their faiths freely without government interference," Nauert said.
Kipshidze said that the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church embraces most of the believers in the country and that the recent decision of its Synod not to take part in the "Constantinople affair" should be protected by mechanisms for protecting religious freedom both at the level of the U.S. Department of State and at the level of international organizations.
"If someone concludes from this statement that the State Department will support only what seems to be the 'right' choice in the area of religious freedom, this vision of religious freedom and freedom in general will fail to be understood either in Ukraine or even in the U.S. itself," Kipshidze said.
- Klitchko speaks in defense of UOC 22 February 2019, 21:59
- UOC bishop calls on Ukrainian PM to put end to church takeovers 22 February 2019, 21:48
- Investigative Committee, human rights commissioner in Khanty-Mansiysk Autonomous District to verify info on torture of detained Jehovah's Witnesses 22 February 2019, 18:51
- Karakol Initiative Group in Altay added to list of prohibited organizations 21 February 2019, 19:24
- Moscow Patriarchate's UOC says only 12 out of 36,000 communities joined OCU 21 February 2019, 19:22
- Putin awaiting Supreme Court conclusions on freedom of conscience, religious organizations law violations 21 February 2019, 17:53
- Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society opens UK office 21 February 2019, 17:49
- The Cyprus Synod doesn't recognize the new church of Ukraine 21 February 2019, 10:41
- Patriarch of Georgia concerned about situation in Ukrainian Orthodox Christianity 21 February 2019, 10:03
- Russian Investigative Committee denies reports of Jehovah's Witnesses members' torture in Surgut 20 February 2019, 16:08
- Crimean leader denies forced eviction of OCU church in Simferopol 20 February 2019, 10:09
- Russian Orthodox Church demands freedom of movement for Ukrainian Orthodox Church priest held in Donbass 20 February 2019, 10:04
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church sees no legal grounds for its shutdown 19 February 2019, 18:50
- Ukraine's accusations about Moscow vandalizing churches stupid - Russian Orthodox Church 19 February 2019, 17:24
- UOC Metropolitan held in Donbass on suspicion of separatism (updated) 18 February 2019, 17:45
- UOC bishop draws int'l organizations' attention to violation of believers' rights in Ukraine 18 February 2019, 15:49
- SBU head Gritsak accuses Russia of playing 'religious card' in Ukraine for interference in electoral process 18 February 2019, 15:47
- Court can stop religious organization's activity if it refuses renaming - Ukraine's Culture Ministry 18 February 2019, 11:47
- UOC calls on Ukrainian authorities not to create artificial obstacles in church life 18 February 2019, 11:20
- Jehovah's Witnesses group shut down in Khanty-Mansiysk District 15 February 2019, 22:17
- Ukraine annuls Bishop Gedeon's passport 15 February 2019, 22:14
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's Bishop Gedeon deported from Ukraine over his appeal to U.S. Congress - Russian Orthodox Church 14 February 2019, 16:40
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church bishop stopped at Kiev airport deported to U.S. 14 February 2019, 16:30
- No grounds so far to reconsider stance on Jehovah's Witnesses - Russian Justice Ministry 14 February 2019, 12:17
- Russian courts' ban on Jehovah's Witnesses founded - Justice Ministry 13 February 2019, 11:53
- Russian Orthodox Church's Asian exarch assumes office created in response to Constantinople's actions 13 February 2019, 11:46
- OCU bishop's visit exposes weakness of Patriarch Bartholomew's positions - Russian Orthodox Church 13 February 2019, 11:41
- Senior Athos clergy decline photo-op with new Ukrainian church bishop 13 February 2019, 11:35
- Jehovah's Witnesses not persecuted for belief, penalized for illegal activity - Lebedev 12 February 2019, 15:44
- Revision of Jehovah's Witnesses case possible in event of ECHR's decision - Lebedev 12 February 2019, 15:41