01 October 2018, 12:14
Communication with schismatics could lead to excommunication, Ukrainian Orthodox Church warns Constantinople
Moscow, October 1, Interfax - The Ukrainian Orthodox Church has reminded the Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople of the risk of excommunication as the result of communication with schismatics.
"Our leader asked Patriarch Bartholomew to influence the Constantinople archpriest Metropolitan Emmanuel [of France], who is conducting dialogue with schismatics on the canonical territory of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church. Does Patriarch Bartholomew not know that communication with schismatics carries the risk of excommunication from the Church?" Metropolitan Pavel, head of the Kiev Monastery of the Caves, said, in a commentary posted on the monastery's website.
He admitted that as an Orthodox bishop he was very concerned by "the silence on this issue of several other Churches which are probably more fearful of consequences of a conflict with Istanbul than with the Christ Himself."
Metropolitan Pavel also expressed bewilderment that Patriarch Bartholomew thought himself entitled to interfere in the affairs of other branches of the Orthodox Church.
"This is about the equality of the episcopate and the equality among all bishops. But who gives Istanbul and its archpriests the right to ascribe themselves the functions they are trying to appropriate? I am surprised that the Patriarchate of Constantinople, which once veered into heresy and schism by striking a union with Rome, is attempting to impose its premiership to another, deeply Orthodox state," he said.
Each branch of the Orthodox Church has its own specifics as well as inviolable rules: at the Tomb of God no one has the right to conduct services other than members of the fraternity who live there, no one will be allowed to conduct a service at the Monastery of the Caves or to serve arbitrarily, such things are not possible in any of the Athos monasteries either, Metropolitan Pavel said.
"And that is why Istanbul has no right to point out to us who is right and who is wrong," he said.
- Moscow Mayor Sobyanin proposes to leave Lubyanskaya Square as it is for now 26 February 2021, 22:42
- Acting leader of Abkhazian Diocese is member of Georgian Church - Georgian Patriarchate 26 February 2021, 17:44
- Search underway on premises of Sredneuralsky Convent 26 February 2021, 17:41
- Defrocked priest Sergy's pretrial detention extended until end of spring 26 February 2021, 10:00
- Armenian Apostolic Church urges politicians to start talks 25 February 2021, 15:04
- Omsk resident fined 375,000 rubles for excusing terror attack in New Zealand 25 February 2021, 11:48
- Yakutian shaman Gabyshev charged with violence against police officer 25 February 2021, 10:45
- Meeting between Russian patriarch, Pope doesn't improve Christians' position in Middle East contrary to expectations - Metropolitan Hilarion 24 February 2021, 10:00
- Muscovites will choose between monuments to Dzerzhinsky, Alexander Nevsky on Lubyanka Square 20 February 2021, 10:03
- Former schema-monk Sergy admits giving bribe amounting to 'millions of dollars' 18 February 2021, 16:30
- World Russian People's Council backs idea of Ivan III monument on Lubyanka Square in Moscow 18 February 2021, 16:11
- FJCR suggests reinstalling fountain at Lubyanka 18 February 2021, 15:30
- Suspected organizer of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Russia's Kemerovo region placed under house arrest 17 February 2021, 14:11
- Police detain man who splashed Holocaust monument in Yerevan with paint 17 February 2021, 13:44
- The giant castle of corona cannibal to be burned in Russia on Maslenitsa 17 February 2021, 12:08
- Lawyers' association supports bill limiting surrogate motherhood in Russia 17 February 2021, 10:00
- FSB detain people suspected of financing ISIL under guise of donations to mosques in Crimea, Tatarstan 16 February 2021, 15:19
- World Union of Old Believers backs idea to place Ivan III monument on Moscow's Lubyanka Square 16 February 2021, 09:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion concerned by detention on non-participants in unsanctioned rallies 15 February 2021, 09:17
- Moscow court arrests 2 Jehovah's Witnesses 15 February 2021, 09:15
- Foreign Intelligence Service head compares those who insult WWII veterans to Nazi collaborators 12 February 2021, 11:53
- Congress of the Leaders of World and Traditional Religions in Kazakhstan postponed to next year 12 February 2021, 11:07
- Sputnik V vaccine halal - Gamaleya Center expert 12 February 2021, 10:03
- Court denies former schema hegumen Sergy right to participate in dispute over church on territory of Sredneuralsky Convent 10 February 2021, 20:39
- Several organizers of Jehovah's Witnesses cell detained in Moscow 10 February 2021, 11:43
- Resident of Russia's Dagestan jailed for 10 years for killing local rabbi 10 February 2021, 11:14
- Tajik authorities classify sentence of opposition Islamic party leader 09 February 2021, 17:35
- The International Day of Human Brotherhood celebrates in Russia for the first time 09 February 2021, 10:13
- Tolerance lessons have already been held for half a million schoolchildren in Russia 09 February 2021, 10:04
- Moscow City Court upholds arrest of schema-hegumen Sergy 09 February 2021, 10:00