03 October 2018, 11:07
Blood-stained union with Vatican stripped Constantinople of right to interfere in Ukraine's religious affairs - UOC
Moscow, October 3, Interfax - After its Union with the Vatican that led to large-scale bloodshed in Ukraine the Constantinople Patriarchate has no moral right to interfere in the religious life of that country, the Ukrainian Orthodox Church believes.
"In general one should shamefacedly keep quiet about the historical motherhood of Constantinople after the Union," head of the UOC press service Vasily Anisimov said in an interview with Interfax-Religion.
He said that Galician Uniates, "the principal Russophobes of Ukraine" are the offspring to the notorious 1596 Union of Brest when all bishops of the dioceses of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople led by Metropolitan Michael Rogoza betrayed Orthodox Christianity and surrendered to the power of the Holy See, traveled to Rome, kissed the Pope's shoe and together with the authorities in present-day Ukraine shed "a wide sea of tears and blood" as famous poet Taras Shevchenko wrote about them.
Even not taking into account the period of the imposition of the Union in Ukraine UOC categorically disagrees with the determination of Constantinople to interfere in the affairs of other Сhurches as the mother Сhurch.
"The Church of Jerusalem is regarded as the mother of all churches, so should it deal with the internal affairs of the Church of Constantinople?" Anisimov said.
He said that the geography of the current UOC considerably differs from the Kiev Metropolia which was under the jurisdiction of Constantinople centuries ago: UOC currently unites all the dioceses of the Russian Church that used to exist in the territory of Soviet Ukraine - both ancient ones and those established in territories added to the Russian Empire and later to the USSR.
"The Patriarch of Constantinople has nothing to do with either Ukraine or the Ukrainian Orthodox Church because such a state or such a Church simply didn't exist 300 years ago. Always and everywhere there were an indivisible Russian people for Constantinople and it is Russia there where Russians are. So the present-day 'mother' by no chance saw her children as Ukrainians in the days of her motherhood," Anisimov said.
- Extremism case opened against 5 members of Jehovah's Witnesses in Syktyvkar 04 March 2021, 13:15
- Putin orders Interior Ministry to prosecute provocateurs, suppress all manifestations of extremism 03 March 2021, 16:25
- Kremlin not commenting on end of discussion about monument on Lubyanskaya Square - Peskov 01 March 2021, 14:19
- Moscow Mayor Sobyanin proposes to leave Lubyanskaya Square as it is for now 26 February 2021, 22:42
- Acting leader of Abkhazian Diocese is member of Georgian Church - Georgian Patriarchate 26 February 2021, 17:44
- Search underway on premises of Sredneuralsky Convent 26 February 2021, 17:41
- Defrocked priest Sergy's pretrial detention extended until end of spring 26 February 2021, 10:00
- Armenian Apostolic Church urges politicians to start talks 25 February 2021, 15:04
- Omsk resident fined 375,000 rubles for excusing terror attack in New Zealand 25 February 2021, 11:48
- Yakutian shaman Gabyshev charged with violence against police officer 25 February 2021, 10:45
- Meeting between Russian patriarch, Pope doesn't improve Christians' position in Middle East contrary to expectations - Metropolitan Hilarion 24 February 2021, 10:00
- Muscovites will choose between monuments to Dzerzhinsky, Alexander Nevsky on Lubyanka Square 20 February 2021, 10:03
- Former schema-monk Sergy admits giving bribe amounting to 'millions of dollars' 18 February 2021, 16:30
- World Russian People's Council backs idea of Ivan III monument on Lubyanka Square in Moscow 18 February 2021, 16:11
- FJCR suggests reinstalling fountain at Lubyanka 18 February 2021, 15:30
- Suspected organizer of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Russia's Kemerovo region placed under house arrest 17 February 2021, 14:11
- Police detain man who splashed Holocaust monument in Yerevan with paint 17 February 2021, 13:44
- The giant castle of corona cannibal to be burned in Russia on Maslenitsa 17 February 2021, 12:08
- Lawyers' association supports bill limiting surrogate motherhood in Russia 17 February 2021, 10:00
- FSB detain people suspected of financing ISIL under guise of donations to mosques in Crimea, Tatarstan 16 February 2021, 15:19
- World Union of Old Believers backs idea to place Ivan III monument on Moscow's Lubyanka Square 16 February 2021, 09:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion concerned by detention on non-participants in unsanctioned rallies 15 February 2021, 09:17
- Moscow court arrests 2 Jehovah's Witnesses 15 February 2021, 09:15
- Foreign Intelligence Service head compares those who insult WWII veterans to Nazi collaborators 12 February 2021, 11:53
- Congress of the Leaders of World and Traditional Religions in Kazakhstan postponed to next year 12 February 2021, 11:07
- Sputnik V vaccine halal - Gamaleya Center expert 12 February 2021, 10:03
- Court denies former schema hegumen Sergy right to participate in dispute over church on territory of Sredneuralsky Convent 10 February 2021, 20:39
- Several organizers of Jehovah's Witnesses cell detained in Moscow 10 February 2021, 11:43
- Resident of Russia's Dagestan jailed for 10 years for killing local rabbi 10 February 2021, 11:14
- Tajik authorities classify sentence of opposition Islamic party leader 09 February 2021, 17:35