04 October 2018, 18:28
Syria's Christians ask Russia for humanitarian aid
Moscow, October 4, Interfax - Syria's Christians have appealed to Russia's Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society (IOPS) for humanitarian assistance, the newspaper Izvestia reported on Thursday, citing an official IOPS statement seen by the editorial office.
"We are giving you this statement to ask you to approve within the shortest possible period of time the supply of assistance to be distributed through churches and Christian organizations of the Al-Hasakeh province and include the province in the IOPS annual support program," the document, quoted by the paper, said.
Official representatives of the Jacobite Syriac Orthodox Church, the Armenian Apostolic Church, the Ancient Assyrian Church of the East, and the association of Evangelical Christian Churches asked the IOPS to provide them with aid. These churches can be found throughout northeastern Syria, a region now controlled by a Kurdish administration, the article said.
One of the reasons for this request is systematic persecution of Christian minorities by the Kurdish administration, the paper said.
The difficult situation in the province is a result of the economic and political restrictions imposed by the Kurdish authorities on religious minorities, said Christian Sootoro self-defense units in Qamishli, a key city in the Al-Hasakeh province, which has a considerable Christian population. These units are in charge of security in the city's Christian quarters, according to the newspaper.
"The Kurdish authorities are using various forms of discrimination against the Christian population, forcing the Kurdish language, laws, and traditions on them. The authorities are introducing extra taxes, seizing land and harvests, subjecting Christian businessmen to discrimination, disconnecting them from water and power supply, and forcibly sending them to military units fighting on the front," the Sootoro chancellery told the paper.
- Patriarch Kirill diagnosed with Covid-19 30 September 2022, 12:41
- State Duma Council to consider consultations on possible reintroduction of death penalty 27 September 2022, 20:44
- Patriarch Kirill calls for spiritual mobilization 27 September 2022, 15:34
- Russia's FSB reports detention a Muslim recruter in Moscow area 27 September 2022, 11:58
- Russian Church warns the West against "slipping into a bestial state" 23 September 2022, 12:11
- Patriarch Kirill declares the futility of attempts to intimidate the Russians 19 September 2022, 14:04
- Religious leaders call for ending conflicts, bloodshed in the world at congress in Nur-Sultan 15 September 2022, 14:49
- Some 10,000 believers attending papal mass in Kazakh capital 14 September 2022, 17:16
- Russian Supreme Court brands as terrorist, bans Islamic Renaissance Party of Tajikistan 14 September 2022, 11:42
- Pontiff urges religious leaders to help settle conflicts through dialogue 14 September 2022, 11:41
- Patriarch Kirill: attempts to build world order without relying on moral values led to fierce confrontation 14 September 2022, 11:40
- Bishop Nicholas of Manhattan elected new First Hierarch of Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia 13 September 2022, 20:42
- Catholicos of All Armenians urges world to react to Azerbaijan's actions 13 September 2022, 15:42
- Pope Francis arrives in Kazakhstan's capital 13 September 2022, 15:38
- Russian State Duma may hold hearings on LGBT propaganda ban in Oct-Nov 13 September 2022, 14:50
- Latvian Orthodox Church chooses not to argue with govt about its status 12 September 2022, 10:30
- Patriarch Kirill calls Elizabeth II symbol of sustainability of centuries-old traditions for entire Europe 09 September 2022, 13:02
- Russian Orthodox Church on declaration of Latvian Church's autocephaly by parliament: they surpassed Middle Ages 08 September 2022, 21:45
- Latvian Saeima endorses law on independence of Latvian Orthodox Church 08 September 2022, 19:06
- WCC refuses to accuse Russian Orthodox Church despite pressure 08 September 2022, 17:03
- Court in Primorye overrules order committing Yakutia shaman Gabyshev to hospital 08 September 2022, 10:31
- Russian ombudsman calls for moratorium on death penalty in DPR 07 September 2022, 14:42
- Patriarch Kirill highlights Russia's special role in modern history 06 September 2022, 17:35
- Riga seeking independence of Latvian Orthodox Church from Moscow Patriarchate (updated) 05 September 2022, 17:44
- Russian Orthodox Church outraged by interference of Latvian secular authorities in church affairs 05 September 2022, 15:32
- World Council of Churches refuses to isolate Russian Orthodox Church delegation at its assembly 01 September 2022, 21:32
- Russian Orthodox Church accuses German president of putting pressure on World Council of Churches 01 September 2022, 14:23
- Russian Orthodox Church views Kyiv's sanctions on Patriarch Kirill as PR campaign 31 August 2022, 17:25
- Fines for LGBT propaganda to be from 50,000 to 200,000 rubles for citizens, foreigners may be deported from Russia 31 August 2022, 16:42
- Ukrainian govt approves proposed sanctions against Patriarch Kirill 31 August 2022, 09:56