08 October 2018, 11:58
Remnants of older altar discovered at site of burned-down Dormition Church in Karelia
Petrozavodsk, October 8, Interfax - Specialists from a Moscow institute Spetsproektrestavratsia, which specializes in architectural restoration, had inspected the site of the Dormition Church destroyed by fire in the Karelian town of Kondopoga, the regional administration said in a statement.
"The best preserved part [of the church] is the wooden altar whose logs partly remained on the outside but were severely burned out on the inside. In the lower section of the altar piece, the specialists discovered a log structure of an older, five-wall altar on a stand-alone rock foundation," the statement said.
The specialists believe that the new altar may have been added as a superstructure on top of the old one during the last reconstruction of the church.
"The logs sustained serious loss in diameter because of the fire, but the beam joints and cross-sections have remained. Judging by the burned-down corner notches, cuttings from the tool are well readable even on the charred surface," the statement said.
The surviving fragments will be moved indoors by November 15. Regional authorities are in talks with the Kondopoga pulp mill over renting some of its warehouses. Until then the site will remain under security round the clock.
"Arrangements have been made for temporary warehousing of the marked elements which will be removed for storage and analysis. Fully destroyed elements and charcoal from the site have been stacked separately for subsequent removal and disposal," the statement said.
It was reported that a fire on August 10 destroyed almost entirely the unique 18th century church in Kondopoga. Investigators launched a criminal investigation on charges of causing damage or destruction of a listed cultural heritage site. A 15-year-old boy is suspected of arson.
The Dormition Church built in 1764 was a unique monument of Russian wooden architecture, a cultural heritage site of federal significance. The church was taken under state protection in the 1960s. It stood over a total area of 260.3 square meters.
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod says its episcopate, parishioners pressured, persecuted 07 December 2018, 21:52
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Synod denies Bartholomew right to convene meeting in Ukraine, bans its clerics, laypeople from attending it 07 December 2018, 18:36
- Metropolitan Onufry returns to Istanbul invitation to unification assembly 07 December 2018, 17:19
- Russian police find no extremism in Jewish movement Shahar leader's actions 07 December 2018, 12:59
- IOPS to open division in Istanbul despite patriarch Bartholomew's opinion 07 December 2018, 12:13
- Patriarch Bartholomew calls on UOC Metropolitan Onufry to take part in unification assembly 07 December 2018, 12:09
- Ukraine's new Orthodox church will be independent - Poroshenko's entourage 07 December 2018, 10:48
- Patriarch Kirill accuses Poroshenko of interfering in religious affairs 07 December 2018, 10:42
- Russian FM, Vatican sec call for boosting bilateral ties 07 December 2018, 10:40
- Ukrainian authorities use Stalin-era methods to seek tomos - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 06 December 2018, 17:45
- Ukrainian presidential advisor describes future local Ukrainian church 06 December 2018, 16:50
- Ukrainian authorities' accusations of canonical Church are revenge for latter's independence - Russian Church 06 December 2018, 16:38
- Ukrainian Autocephalic Orthodox Church not to nominate candidates for post of head of "unified local church" 06 December 2018, 14:41
- Unification assembly in Ukraine is unacceptable amid repression of Orthodox Christians - Russian Church 06 December 2018, 14:38
- Metropolitan of Sarny and Polesye asks Putin to release Ukrainian sailors 06 December 2018, 11:26
- Filaret won't seek post of head of Ukraine's local autocephalous church 06 December 2018, 11:22
- Orthodox priests from Rovno, Sarny questioned in treason, religious hatred inquiry - Ukrainian Security Service 06 December 2018, 11:19
- Russian embassy outraged by Constantinople 'ascribing' itself Russian church in Pyongyang 06 December 2018, 11:16
- Constantinople not planning to grant autocephaly to Ukrainian church - media 05 December 2018, 17:19
- Russian Orthodox Church calls ECHR decision on Pussy Riot members' appeal blow to legal protection of religious freedom (updated) 05 December 2018, 17:11
- Patriarch Kirill concerned about recent events in Russian-Ukrainian relations – spokesman 05 December 2018, 13:15
- SBU accuses Ukrainian Orthodox Church of spreading materials sowing religious discord (updated) 05 December 2018, 12:32
- SBU unit's behind pressure on Ukrainian Orthodox Church – media 05 December 2018, 11:45
- Unifying Orthodox assembly in Ukraine to be held on Dec 15 – Poroshenko (updated) 05 December 2018, 11:24
- ECHR rejects Russia's request to send application of Pussy Riot members convicted for punk prayer in Moscow cathedral to Grand Chamber 04 December 2018, 19:04
- Organizer of Jehovah's Witnesses meetings indicted in Kamchatka 04 December 2018, 14:11
- Odessa metropolitan asks Patriarch Kirill to facilitate Ukrainian sailors' release 04 December 2018, 11:39
- Ukrainian parliament speaker wants to transfer St. Sophia Cathedral to new church created by Constantinople 03 December 2018, 14:34
- Poroshenko awards orders to 2 Ukrainian Orthodox Church metropolitans who support autocephaly 02 December 2018, 21:15
- Disbanded Constantinople's Russian archdiocese refuses to dissolve immediately 02 December 2018, 21:12