16 October 2018, 18:00
Dodon proposes hosting Pan-Orthodox Council in Moldova
Chisinau, October 16, Interfax - Moldovan President Igor Dodon has backed the initiative of Patriarch John X of Antioch to convene the Pan-Orthodox Council and noted that Moldova host meetings between all heads of local Churches.
"The church schism could become an open wound on the body of the entire Orthodox world. The authorities of the Orthodox countries, together with the heads of the local Churches, should do their utmost to overcome it," Dodon wrote on Facebook on Tuesday.
He expressed support for the initiative to convene the Pan-Orthodox Council voiced by Patriarch John X of Antioch and supported by clergy and laypeople of the Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, and Polish Orthodox Churches, as well as the Orthodox Churches of Alexandria and Jerusalem and the Orthodox Church in America, in order to resolve one of the most pressing issues in the history of Orthodox Christianity.
"In light of the above, I'm putting forward an initiative to host the Pan-Orthodox Council in Moldova. We are a unique Orthodox country situated in the very heart of the Orthodox world, and this is why Moldova could become the venue of meetings between all heads of local Churches at this most challenging time," Dodon wrote.
He described the conflict between the Patriarch of Constantinople and the Russian Orthodox Church as one of the most serious issues in the history of Orthodox Christianity.
"Moldova has been and will remain a canonical territory of the Moscow Patriarchate," he said.
On October 11, the Synod of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople rehabilitated the leaders of the unrecognized Ukrainian Orthodox churches, announced the opening of a mission in Kiev, and abrogated an ordinance dating back to the 17th century that put the Kiev Metropolitanate under the jurisdiction of the Moscow Patriarchate. The Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate did not recognize these decisions, nor did the Moscow Patriarchate itself, which declared the discontinuation of full communion with Constantinople on October 15.
- Russian Catholics don’t believe in islamization of Europe 07 June 2019, 15:30
- Leaders, members of 15 Jehovah's Witnesses cells held in Dagestan 07 June 2019, 10:55
- World will be better if people follow Bible, Torah, Koran - Putin 06 June 2019, 18:01
- Russian Catholics urge not to have illusions about possible pontiff's visit to Moscow 06 June 2019, 17:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church is not ready to welcome the Pope of Rome in Moscow 06 June 2019, 16:04
- Putin to meet with Pope Francis 06 June 2019, 14:34
- Russian Jews pray for “lifting up” the soul of the reposed wife of the Israel’s president 06 June 2019, 11:32
- Russia's Jews present country as example of tolerance for Europe 04 June 2019, 18:48
- Remembrance of Great Patriotic War protects Russia from xenophobia, anti-Semitism - Putin 04 June 2019, 17:48
- Putin attends unveiling of monument to heroes of resistance in concentration camps 04 June 2019, 17:41
- Russian Muslim community plays major role in combating extremist ideology - PM Medvedev 04 June 2019, 11:28
- Putin notes Russian Muslims' contribution to peoples' unity, fight against extremism 04 June 2019, 11:25
- Last Sobibor uprising survivor dies 03 June 2019, 18:17
- Kiev Patriarchate does not exist, never existed - Patriarch Bartholomew 03 June 2019, 14:54
- Constantinople cannot solve complicated religious situation in Ukraine - Russian Orthodox Church 30 May 2019, 19:45
- Putin congratulates Jews on Salvation and Liberation Day 30 May 2019, 19:00
- Protests against construction of churches plotted by outside forces - Russian Orthodox Church 28 May 2019, 18:42
- Church on site of first Russian settlement Fort Ross in U.S. to be restored 28 May 2019, 17:27
- Russian Orthodox Church to open churches in Cyprus, Sweden 28 May 2019, 17:26
- Yekaterinburg residents offer some 50 sites for church construction 27 May 2019, 18:37
- Patriarch Kirill in meeting with Mijatovic asks Council of Europe to control observance of believers' rights in Ukraine 27 May 2019, 18:35
- Churches in Russia to keep being built as long as people need it - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 18:14
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for end to discrimination against Orthodox Christians in Ukraine under new president 27 May 2019, 18:13
- Europe, Russia should turn over page of misunderstanding - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 17:18
- Patriarch Kirill tells secretary general of Council of Europe is concerned about human rights issues 27 May 2019, 14:14
- Putin, Patriarch Kirill discuss matter of plans to build Yekaterinburg church – Peskov 27 May 2019, 13:42
- Metropolitan Kirill compares situation with church construction in Yekaterinburg to tsar's family killing 27 May 2019, 12:31
- Patriarch Kirill sanctifies Church of All Saints in Strasbourg 27 May 2019, 11:27
- Hegumen arrested after stabbing, injuring monk at Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius 24 May 2019, 19:10
- Putin congratulates Patriarch Kirill on name day, suggests he loosen up work schedule 24 May 2019, 17:48