18 October 2018, 18:41
Ukrainian Orthodox Church disagrees with transfer of St. Andrew's Church to Constantinople
Moscow, October 18, Interfax - The Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate believes the transfer of St. Andrew's Church in Kiev to the Constantinople Patriarchate would be illegal.
"From a canonical viewpoint, this decision creates a whole number of irregularities, because the presence and service in Kiev of bishops of a different local church without the authorization of the metropolitan of Kiev is a classic violation of church canons and rules," Archbishop Clement, the head of the information and education department of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, told RT on Thursday.
This decision is generally "surprising," as "this church could have been transferred to Ukrainian churches, but is being transferred to a church whose center is in Istanbul, in a state that has no relation to Ukraine," he said.
President Pyotr Poroshenko said earlier that the transfer of the church to the Constantinople Patriarchate for the work of its representative office would speed up the issuance of a tomos of autocephaly to the Ukrainian church. "St. Andrew's Church in Kiev will be transferred to St. Andrew's See of Constantinople for the operation of its representative office," he said.
He submitted a bill to the Rada on granting the Constantinople Patriarchate the use of the church, and the parliament approved it at first reading.
St. Andrew's Church was designed by Bartolomeo Rastrelli in 1754 and built on the right bank of the Dnieper, on St. Andrew's Mount, in the Baroque style. Below it is St. Andrew's Descent, which connects the upper part of the city to the lower part.
The church currently belongs to the self-proclaimed Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church.
- Russian Catholics don’t believe in islamization of Europe 07 June 2019, 15:30
- Leaders, members of 15 Jehovah's Witnesses cells held in Dagestan 07 June 2019, 10:55
- World will be better if people follow Bible, Torah, Koran - Putin 06 June 2019, 18:01
- Russian Catholics urge not to have illusions about possible pontiff's visit to Moscow 06 June 2019, 17:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church is not ready to welcome the Pope of Rome in Moscow 06 June 2019, 16:04
- Putin to meet with Pope Francis 06 June 2019, 14:34
- Russian Jews pray for “lifting up” the soul of the reposed wife of the Israel’s president 06 June 2019, 11:32
- Russia's Jews present country as example of tolerance for Europe 04 June 2019, 18:48
- Remembrance of Great Patriotic War protects Russia from xenophobia, anti-Semitism - Putin 04 June 2019, 17:48
- Putin attends unveiling of monument to heroes of resistance in concentration camps 04 June 2019, 17:41
- Russian Muslim community plays major role in combating extremist ideology - PM Medvedev 04 June 2019, 11:28
- Putin notes Russian Muslims' contribution to peoples' unity, fight against extremism 04 June 2019, 11:25
- Last Sobibor uprising survivor dies 03 June 2019, 18:17
- Kiev Patriarchate does not exist, never existed - Patriarch Bartholomew 03 June 2019, 14:54
- Constantinople cannot solve complicated religious situation in Ukraine - Russian Orthodox Church 30 May 2019, 19:45
- Putin congratulates Jews on Salvation and Liberation Day 30 May 2019, 19:00
- Protests against construction of churches plotted by outside forces - Russian Orthodox Church 28 May 2019, 18:42
- Church on site of first Russian settlement Fort Ross in U.S. to be restored 28 May 2019, 17:27
- Russian Orthodox Church to open churches in Cyprus, Sweden 28 May 2019, 17:26
- Yekaterinburg residents offer some 50 sites for church construction 27 May 2019, 18:37
- Patriarch Kirill in meeting with Mijatovic asks Council of Europe to control observance of believers' rights in Ukraine 27 May 2019, 18:35
- Churches in Russia to keep being built as long as people need it - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 18:14
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for end to discrimination against Orthodox Christians in Ukraine under new president 27 May 2019, 18:13
- Europe, Russia should turn over page of misunderstanding - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 17:18
- Patriarch Kirill tells secretary general of Council of Europe is concerned about human rights issues 27 May 2019, 14:14
- Putin, Patriarch Kirill discuss matter of plans to build Yekaterinburg church – Peskov 27 May 2019, 13:42
- Metropolitan Kirill compares situation with church construction in Yekaterinburg to tsar's family killing 27 May 2019, 12:31
- Patriarch Kirill sanctifies Church of All Saints in Strasbourg 27 May 2019, 11:27
- Hegumen arrested after stabbing, injuring monk at Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius 24 May 2019, 19:10
- Putin congratulates Patriarch Kirill on name day, suggests he loosen up work schedule 24 May 2019, 17:48