19 October 2018, 14:31
Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia cuts ties with Constantinople
New York, October 19, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia has announced its decision to sever Eucharistic communion with the Constantinople Patriarchate over its actions in Ukraine.
"In light of these most grievous affronts to the very nature of canonical Orthodoxy, the Holy Synod of Bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia has no option except, with profound sorrow and yet with full conviction, publicly to register her assent with the decision of the Holy Synod of the Patriarchate of Moscow, which recognizes that continuing Eucharistic communion with the Church of Constantinople is impossible at any level until this ancient and once-glorious sister Church repents from its introduction of false and alien teachings about primacy and universal authority, contrary to the ancient Orthodox Faith, and ceases from its lawless actions," the Holy Synod of Bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia said in a statement posted on its website.
"So long as this situation remains, it is not possible for clergy of our Church to celebrate in any parish of the Church of Constantinople, or for clerics of that Church to celebrate in ours; nor is it possible for laypersons to partake of the Holy Mysteries performed in the temples of the Patriarchate of Constantinople. We further reiterate that the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia will not participate in theological inter-church meetings, or other dialogues, including the regional Assemblies of Bishops, which are chaired or co-chaired by clerics or hierarchy of the Church of Constantinople," the statement said.
The Holy Synod of Bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia calls upon "all the faithful to redouble their prayers for the peace of the Church" and implores "the Primates of the Local Orthodox Churches to reflect upon the current circumstances, in due course coming together to reach an authentic, canonical resolution to these urgent matters," the document said.
On October 11, the Synod of the Constantinople Patriarchate invalidated its 1686 decree on the handover of the Metropolitan of Kiev to Moscow and established a mission to Kiev. It also rehabilitated the leaders of self-proclaimed orthodox churches in Ukraine. The Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate rejected these decisions. In reaction to the moves by Constantinople, the Moscow Patriarchate itself held a meeting on October 15 to declare a total severing of ties with the Church of Constantinople.
The Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia has been a self-governed part of the Russian Orthodox Church since 2007.
- Crimean Diocese of Ukrainian Orthodox Church has solidarity with Metropolitan Onufry 16 November 2018, 19:11
- Local church being created is political organization - Metropolitan Onufry 16 November 2018, 16:40
- Vinnitsa clergy refuse to follow their archbishop into 'local' church 16 November 2018, 15:22
- FSB searches apartments of Jehovah's Witnesses members in Crimea's Dzhankoy 16 November 2018, 11:00
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's Metropolitan Simeon to attend "unification" council - media 15 November 2018, 22:20
- U.S. embassy concerned by Kiev's St. Andrew Church attack 15 November 2018, 19:25
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church warns of schemes using its bishops' signatures at unification assembly 15 November 2018, 15:46
- Unknown individuals attack St. Andrew's Church, transferred to Ecumenical Patriarchate, in Kiev 15 November 2018, 15:34
- Dissenting bishops of canonical Ukrainian Church might ignore 'unifying assembly' - Metropolitan Hilarion 15 November 2018, 14:56
- Constantinople deceiving supporters of Ukrainian autocephaly - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 15 November 2018, 12:11
- "Kiev Patriarchate" may nominate Filaret for head of new church 15 November 2018, 12:02
- Date of unification assembly not known yet - "Kiev Patriarchate" 15 November 2018, 11:10
- Upcoming 'uniting' assembly in Ukraine to have negligible canonical consequences - Russian Orthodox Church 14 November 2018, 21:58
- "Unification" council to be held in Ukraine on Nov 22 - media (updated) 14 November 2018, 21:54
- Poroshenko had angry phone call with Metropolitan Onufry - media 14 November 2018, 15:36
- Poroshenko administration refuses to show journalists agreement with Patriarch Bartholomew 14 November 2018, 13:58
- Ukrainian state to protect right to choose church jurisdiction - Poroshenko to Ukrainian hierarchs of Moscow Patriarchate 14 November 2018, 11:15
- Metropolitan Hilarion, Deputy Foreign Minister Karasin discuss Syria's humanitarian crisis, Christians' protection 14 November 2018, 11:08
- Duma proposes drawing up map of Greek churches, monasteries Russian Orthodox believers can visit 14 November 2018, 11:05
- Poroshenko phones Metropolitan Onufry, surprised why archbishops did not come - source 13 November 2018, 21:27
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church eagerly wants to protect its name - Bishop's Council 13 November 2018, 20:00
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church bishops refuse to take part in creation of autocephalous church 13 November 2018, 19:25
- Archbishops' Council of Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church ready to meet with Ukrainian president, but on church soil - statement 13 November 2018, 19:05
- Poroshenko no-show at Kiev Monastery of the Caves to meet with Ukrainian Church clergy 13 November 2018, 17:13
- Metropolitan of Kiev denounces attempts to turn church into 'political tool' 13 November 2018, 17:03
- Chernigov clergy remain committed to canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church 13 November 2018, 16:59
- Zhitomir Diocese supports Metropolitan Onufry 13 November 2018, 10:49
- Serbian Church Council denounces Constantinople's actions in Ukraine 12 November 2018, 18:41
- Putin stresses importance of friendly relations between Russia, Muslim countries 12 November 2018, 15:01
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church not to participate in unifying assembly – chancellor 12 November 2018, 13:29