22 October 2018, 13:37
Awarding new titles to Filaret Denisenko is farce - Russian Orthodox Church
Moscow, October 22, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate is skeptical about the decision to award new titles to Filaret Denisenko, the head of the non-canonical Kiev Patriarchate.
"Filaret has always been and remains a schismatic to us. This whole farce of the awarding of titles only shows once again that the decision to excommunicate him in 1997, which was then recognized by all local churches without exception, including the Constantinople Patriarchate, was right. Filaret can take as many titles as he pleases, but that does not change the essence: he has never been a patriarch and is not such. And that means he is not His Holiness or His Beatitude," Metropolitan Hilarion, the head of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations, said in an interview with the Greek church news agency Romfea.
Earlier, the Synod of the self-proclaimed Kiev Patriarchate announced the decision to award Filaret the title of "His Holiness and His Beatitude Archbishop and Metropolitan of Kiev, Mother of Russian Lands, Holy Archimandrite of the Kiev Pechersk and Pochayev Lavras."
The Russian Orthodox Church says this decision discredits Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople, who legitimized the Ukrainian schism, even more than Filaret himself.
"This support from Constantinople is even more surprising than the new titles awarded to Filaret. Did the advisors to Patriarch Bartholomew, who recommended that he defend this odious figure, think this through? Did they not set their superior up by doing that?" Metropolitan Hilarion said.
The Russian Orthodox Church official said that when the Constantinople Patriarchate decided to reinstate Filaret, they also called "on all parties involved to avoid taking churches, monasteries, and other property, or any other acts of violence and reprisal" and that the president of Ukraine then promised that there would be no division of property.
"However, can one trust these calls and promises when the main leader of the schism, who has now been justified by Constantinople, isn't hiding his plans to take the main holy places of the canonical Ukrainian church, and nationalist groups are ready to take over them with his 'blessing'? It seems that right now, only the absence of a tomos on autocephaly is keeping those who want to do away with the canonical Church from taking forceful actions," Metropolitan Hilarion said.
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14
- Activities of Jehovah's Witnesses stopped in Komi 31 January 2020, 15:11
- Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia doing important work preserving truth about war - Putin 29 January 2020, 14:08
- Conditions for Jewish community comfortable in Russia - Rabbi Lazar 29 January 2020, 14:07
- Archpriest Chaplin died of heart attack 27 January 2020, 18:51
- Russian Church accuses Constantinople for ingratitude and Russophobia 27 January 2020, 18:45
- Court bans leader of Murmansk Jehovah's Witnesses from talking to fellow members, using Internet 27 January 2020, 12:03
- Well-known priest Vsevolod Chaplin dies in Moscow 26 January 2020, 22:36
- FJCR hopes Marshal Konev monument in Prague won't be demolished 24 January 2020, 19:54