22 October 2018, 18:58
Head of UAOC regrets having agreed to hand over St. Andrew's Church to Constantinople
Moscow, October 22, Interfax - The leader of the self-proclaimed Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church (UAOC), Makary Maletich, regrets that he agreed to hand over the St. Andrews Church in Kiev to the Patriarchate of Constantinople, and does not intend to be so pliant in future.
Speaking in an interview with the Espresso TV channel, Makary said that he had acted on this matter consistently, unlike President Pyotr Poroshenko who initially said that churches were the state property and non-transferrable.
"I replied that I personally agreed but would gather archbishops because this is not something I decide. We give and you should give us something in return. (...) We have St. Cyril's Church, the nature reserve, the Church of the Savior at Berestove - you are welcome. But the president said that he had promised both to Filaret and Makary to give something but that that would be one church, something one can do without. But one must be consistent. You can deceive me once, twice, but not more," Maletych said.
Strangely, none of "Moscow's" churches will be handed over but the only UAOC cathedral "can be handed over," Maletich said. "How 'fair'!" he said.
The UAOC is one of the three Ukrainian religious organizations (alongside the Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church and the so-called Kiev Patriarchate), whose representatives, according to Constantinople's designs, were to attend the unification gathering.
Makary expressed doubt about the success of the unification, because the name, charter and model of the future church were still not determined.
"They want to unite everyone, so solemnly, the whole world. Please God that it be so, but I doubt now," he said.
Neither Makary nor his bishops or priests are ready for the gathering, he said.
"I said to the exarchs that it would take two weeks to agree upon, but they say that's too long. But I don't know how to do it faster if there is no charter and no name. I will gather priests and deacons - what will I tell them?" Makary asked
The situation could be solved if Patriarch Bartholomew appointed the head of the unified local church of Ukraine, gave him the tomos and gather around him everyone "who wants [to unite]."
Earlier President Poroshenko said that the handover of St. Andrews Church in Kiev for use by the Patriarchate of Constantinople for the operation of its mission would speed up the grant of the tomos of autocephaly to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church.
- Radical Islamists step up work among young Russians - Patrushev 30 October 2020, 19:49
- Religious extremist organizations trying to strengthen their positions in Russia using migrants 30 October 2020, 19:48
- Russian mufti condemns attacks on innocent people, calls on Muslims to be above those who slander Islam 30 October 2020, 18:01
- Kremlin sees no connection between attack on police station in Tatarstan and events in France (updated) 30 October 2020, 16:41
- FJCR President puts on Charlie Hebdo indirect blame for the attack on church in Nice 30 October 2020, 13:42
- No world religions accept ideas of extremism - Peskov 30 October 2020, 13:26
- Tatarstan Interior Ministry denies Kukmor assailant was on police books as extremist-minded person 30 October 2020, 13:14
- Teenager who attacked police station in Tatarstan did not go to local mosques 30 October 2020, 11:50
- Islamist teenager shot dead after attacking police station in Russia's Tatarstan 30 October 2020, 11:08
- Patriarch Kirill condemns Nice attack disguised by religious slogans 29 October 2020, 20:07
- Muslims holding unauthorized protest outside French embassy in Moscow 29 October 2020, 17:57
- Kremlin comments on Chechen authorities' plans to pay 100,000 rubles for naming newborns after Prophet Muhammad 29 October 2020, 16:34
- Putin calls attack at Nice church 'cynical, brutal crime,' says Russians share French people's anger, grief - Kremlin 29 October 2020, 16:33
- Religious affiliation in Russia in no way criterion for appointment, election to state posts - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:45
- Magazine similar to France's Charlie Hebdo impossible in Russia - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:35
- Unacceptable to insult feelings of believers, kill people for religious reasons - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:32
- Kremlin describes Nice church attack as 'absolutely horrific tragedy' 29 October 2020, 14:30
- Kadyrov describes his words addressed to Macron as gesture of Muslim, not politician 29 October 2020, 10:00
- Former schema-hegumen Sergy refuses to go to questionings for fear of contracting Covid-19 28 October 2020, 20:07
- Russian Orthodox Church shocked by changes at Istanbul's Chora Monastery recently turned into mosque 28 October 2020, 20:02
- Prosecutors seeking 18 years in penal colony for head of Russian cell of Aum Shinrikyo 28 October 2020, 18:14
- Kantor reelected president of European Jewish Congress 28 October 2020, 15:12
- Kadyrov urges Macron to stop backing publication of Prophet Muhammad cartoons 27 October 2020, 18:20
- Russian court rejects appeal from Jehovah's Witness from Denmark on replacing remaining prison term with fine 27 October 2020, 18:14
- Russia has 1 mln Jews - FJCR 27 October 2020, 10:56
- Head of the Church of Cyprus recognizes OCU autocephaly 26 October 2020, 13:30
- Tikhanovskaya urges religious communities to support the strike 26 October 2020, 12:07
- Head of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Kirov was fined for about 6,500 USD 23 October 2020, 18:32
- Over 20 "caliphate builders" exposed in North Caucasus 23 October 2020, 12:38
- Russian Church concerned about possibility of illegal use of personal data 22 October 2020, 20:15