22 October 2018, 18:58
Head of UAOC regrets having agreed to hand over St. Andrew's Church to Constantinople
Moscow, October 22, Interfax - The leader of the self-proclaimed Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church (UAOC), Makary Maletich, regrets that he agreed to hand over the St. Andrews Church in Kiev to the Patriarchate of Constantinople, and does not intend to be so pliant in future.
Speaking in an interview with the Espresso TV channel, Makary said that he had acted on this matter consistently, unlike President Pyotr Poroshenko who initially said that churches were the state property and non-transferrable.
"I replied that I personally agreed but would gather archbishops because this is not something I decide. We give and you should give us something in return. (...) We have St. Cyril's Church, the nature reserve, the Church of the Savior at Berestove - you are welcome. But the president said that he had promised both to Filaret and Makary to give something but that that would be one church, something one can do without. But one must be consistent. You can deceive me once, twice, but not more," Maletych said.
Strangely, none of "Moscow's" churches will be handed over but the only UAOC cathedral "can be handed over," Maletich said. "How 'fair'!" he said.
The UAOC is one of the three Ukrainian religious organizations (alongside the Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church and the so-called Kiev Patriarchate), whose representatives, according to Constantinople's designs, were to attend the unification gathering.
Makary expressed doubt about the success of the unification, because the name, charter and model of the future church were still not determined.
"They want to unite everyone, so solemnly, the whole world. Please God that it be so, but I doubt now," he said.
Neither Makary nor his bishops or priests are ready for the gathering, he said.
"I said to the exarchs that it would take two weeks to agree upon, but they say that's too long. But I don't know how to do it faster if there is no charter and no name. I will gather priests and deacons - what will I tell them?" Makary asked
The situation could be solved if Patriarch Bartholomew appointed the head of the unified local church of Ukraine, gave him the tomos and gather around him everyone "who wants [to unite]."
Earlier President Poroshenko said that the handover of St. Andrews Church in Kiev for use by the Patriarchate of Constantinople for the operation of its mission would speed up the grant of the tomos of autocephaly to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church.
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14
- Activities of Jehovah's Witnesses stopped in Komi 31 January 2020, 15:11
- Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia doing important work preserving truth about war - Putin 29 January 2020, 14:08
- Conditions for Jewish community comfortable in Russia - Rabbi Lazar 29 January 2020, 14:07
- Archpriest Chaplin died of heart attack 27 January 2020, 18:51
- Russian Church accuses Constantinople for ingratitude and Russophobia 27 January 2020, 18:45
- Court bans leader of Murmansk Jehovah's Witnesses from talking to fellow members, using Internet 27 January 2020, 12:03
- Well-known priest Vsevolod Chaplin dies in Moscow 26 January 2020, 22:36
- FJCR hopes Marshal Konev monument in Prague won't be demolished 24 January 2020, 19:54