24 October 2018, 11:03
Ukrainian Orthodox Church leader advises Constantinople to focus on overcoming its own schism rather than Ukraine's
Moscow, October 24, Interfax - Metropolitan Onufry of Kiev and All Ukraine thinks that the Church of Constantinople does not have the moral right to treat others' schisms for the simple reason that it has not overcome its own.
"If you take into account the fact that the Mother Church itself suffers from its own very deep schism, as a consequence of which the Eastern Byzantine Empire turned into a country which now professes Islam, it will be appropriate to recall words from the Holy Gospel: 'Physician, heal thyself'!" Metropolitan Onufry said in an interview with The Pastor and the Flock magazine.
A physician, who "is seriously ill himself and thus not in a position to treat others but still does, this will only create greater lawlessness in the form of a global schism within the Orthodoxy," he said.
When asked how believers should react to the attempts to create a "a single local church " in Ukraine, the metropolitan said: "Those who believe in God yet are fixated on the desire to get a local Church, rather than rely on God live according to their own minds. With such an attitude we will soon end up in a situation where every political force would want to have its own local Church that would obey that party and force God to fulfill its political wishes."
Instead, people should live A Godly life and fulfill the commandments, which for Christians is "the path leading to the eternal life," Onufry said.
"On this path you find your personal autocephaly, i.e. the freedom from sin. And perhaps we will also meet the local Church, but it will be completely unlike the one some politicians are trying to build. It will be filled with love, peace and joy about God. This will be not a political Church, but the Christ's Church," the UOC leader said.
- Patriarch Kirill diagnosed with Covid-19 30 September 2022, 12:41
- State Duma Council to consider consultations on possible reintroduction of death penalty 27 September 2022, 20:44
- Patriarch Kirill calls for spiritual mobilization 27 September 2022, 15:34
- Russia's FSB reports detention a Muslim recruter in Moscow area 27 September 2022, 11:58
- Russian Church warns the West against "slipping into a bestial state" 23 September 2022, 12:11
- Patriarch Kirill declares the futility of attempts to intimidate the Russians 19 September 2022, 14:04
- Religious leaders call for ending conflicts, bloodshed in the world at congress in Nur-Sultan 15 September 2022, 14:49
- Some 10,000 believers attending papal mass in Kazakh capital 14 September 2022, 17:16
- Russian Supreme Court brands as terrorist, bans Islamic Renaissance Party of Tajikistan 14 September 2022, 11:42
- Pontiff urges religious leaders to help settle conflicts through dialogue 14 September 2022, 11:41
- Patriarch Kirill: attempts to build world order without relying on moral values led to fierce confrontation 14 September 2022, 11:40
- Bishop Nicholas of Manhattan elected new First Hierarch of Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia 13 September 2022, 20:42
- Catholicos of All Armenians urges world to react to Azerbaijan's actions 13 September 2022, 15:42
- Pope Francis arrives in Kazakhstan's capital 13 September 2022, 15:38
- Russian State Duma may hold hearings on LGBT propaganda ban in Oct-Nov 13 September 2022, 14:50
- Latvian Orthodox Church chooses not to argue with govt about its status 12 September 2022, 10:30
- Patriarch Kirill calls Elizabeth II symbol of sustainability of centuries-old traditions for entire Europe 09 September 2022, 13:02
- Russian Orthodox Church on declaration of Latvian Church's autocephaly by parliament: they surpassed Middle Ages 08 September 2022, 21:45
- Latvian Saeima endorses law on independence of Latvian Orthodox Church 08 September 2022, 19:06
- WCC refuses to accuse Russian Orthodox Church despite pressure 08 September 2022, 17:03
- Court in Primorye overrules order committing Yakutia shaman Gabyshev to hospital 08 September 2022, 10:31
- Russian ombudsman calls for moratorium on death penalty in DPR 07 September 2022, 14:42
- Patriarch Kirill highlights Russia's special role in modern history 06 September 2022, 17:35
- Riga seeking independence of Latvian Orthodox Church from Moscow Patriarchate (updated) 05 September 2022, 17:44
- Russian Orthodox Church outraged by interference of Latvian secular authorities in church affairs 05 September 2022, 15:32
- World Council of Churches refuses to isolate Russian Orthodox Church delegation at its assembly 01 September 2022, 21:32
- Russian Orthodox Church accuses German president of putting pressure on World Council of Churches 01 September 2022, 14:23
- Russian Orthodox Church views Kyiv's sanctions on Patriarch Kirill as PR campaign 31 August 2022, 17:25
- Fines for LGBT propaganda to be from 50,000 to 200,000 rubles for citizens, foreigners may be deported from Russia 31 August 2022, 16:42
- Ukrainian govt approves proposed sanctions against Patriarch Kirill 31 August 2022, 09:56