25 October 2018, 13:20
Zaporozhye clergy express support for canonical Ukrainian Church
Kiev, October 25, Interfax - The clergy of the Zaporozhye Diocese have written an open letter to Metropolitan Onufry of Kiev and All Ukraine, reaffirming their unanimous support for the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church.
"The address was fully supported and understood by the clergy, as is indicated by the words signed by the priests," the diocese's press service told Interfax.
The clergy of the diocese said in their letter that the canonical Church is now going through "a difficult period in its history - disrespect of the opinion of the clergy and laymen" as well as "unprecedented encroachment" by the Constantinople Patriarchate on the rights of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church to self-governance and independence, which it was given in 1990.
"We, faithful children of our spiritual Mother, the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, led by You, testify that we do not recognize the decisions made on October 11, 2018 by the Synod of the Church of Constantinople, and we reaffirm our support and filial obedience to You, Your Beatitude, and together with You we remain 'with the Church that is being persecuted but maintaining the right position, the position of the true Church,'" the letter said.
Commenting on this letter, the Zaporozhye Diocese said it is obvious that "despite the misinformation regarding the alleged massive wish of the clergy to go over to the artificially created chimera, reality proves the opposite: faithful children absolutely do not want to part with their Mother, the Ukrainian Orthodox Church."
According to earlier reports, the clergy of the Odessa Diocese almost unanimously spoke in favor of maintaining the current status of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church and reaffirmed their allegiance to Metropolitan Onufry of Kiev and All Ukraine amid attempts by Constantinople and the Ukrainian authorities to create a parallel church. The clergy of the Dioceses of Kherson and Rovno and Metropolitan Joasaf of Kirovograd did the same earlier.
Andrey Yurash, director of the Ukrainian Culture Ministry's department of religions and interethnic relations, said earlier that over 50% of communities of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church would join the new church that is being created by Constantinople.
On October 11, the Synod of the Ecumenical Patriarchate abrogated the ordinance of 1686 that put the Kiev Metropolitanate under the jurisdiction of the Moscow Patriarchate, announced the opening of a mission in Kiev, and rehabilitated the leaders of the unrecognized Ukrainian Orthodox churches. In response, the Synod of the Moscow Patriarchate announced the full severance of relations with the Constantinople Patriarchate.
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14
- Activities of Jehovah's Witnesses stopped in Komi 31 January 2020, 15:11
- Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia doing important work preserving truth about war - Putin 29 January 2020, 14:08
- Conditions for Jewish community comfortable in Russia - Rabbi Lazar 29 January 2020, 14:07
- Archpriest Chaplin died of heart attack 27 January 2020, 18:51
- Russian Church accuses Constantinople for ingratitude and Russophobia 27 January 2020, 18:45
- Court bans leader of Murmansk Jehovah's Witnesses from talking to fellow members, using Internet 27 January 2020, 12:03
- Well-known priest Vsevolod Chaplin dies in Moscow 26 January 2020, 22:36
- FJCR hopes Marshal Konev monument in Prague won't be demolished 24 January 2020, 19:54