02 November 2018, 12:10
Kharkov Diocese states its allegiance to Russian Orthodox Church
Moscow, November 2, Interfax - The clergy of the Kharkov Diocese has affirmed its allegiance to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate amid talks about autocephaly.
"Clerics, who have gathered, pledged their allegiance to the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church headed by its primate, His Holiness Metropolitan Onufry of Kiev and All Ukraine," the Kharkov Diocese told Interfax on Friday.
As reported, in October, the clergy of the Sumy and Dnepropetrovsk regions, as well as of the dioceses of Poltava, Zaporozhye, Odessa, Kherson, Rovno, and Kirovograd, voiced their support to the canonical Church.
Andrey Yurash, the director of the Ukrainian Culture Ministry's department of religions and interethnic relations, said earlier that over 50% of communities of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church would join the new church, which is being created by Constantinople.
In September, Patriarch Bartholomew sent two exarchs to Kiev to prepare for the establishment of an autocephalous church independent from the Moscow Patriarchate. On October 11, the Synod of the Ecumenical Patriarchate abrogated its ordinance of 1686 that put the Kiev Metropolitanate under the jurisdiction of the Moscow Patriarchate, announced the opening of a mission in Kiev, and rehabilitated the leaders of the unrecognized Ukrainian Orthodox churches. In response, the Synod of the Moscow Patriarchate announced that it was fully severing its relations with the Constantinople Patriarchate.
- Radical Islamists step up work among young Russians - Patrushev 30 October 2020, 19:49
- Religious extremist organizations trying to strengthen their positions in Russia using migrants 30 October 2020, 19:48
- Russian mufti condemns attacks on innocent people, calls on Muslims to be above those who slander Islam 30 October 2020, 18:01
- Kremlin sees no connection between attack on police station in Tatarstan and events in France (updated) 30 October 2020, 16:41
- FJCR President puts on Charlie Hebdo indirect blame for the attack on church in Nice 30 October 2020, 13:42
- No world religions accept ideas of extremism - Peskov 30 October 2020, 13:26
- Tatarstan Interior Ministry denies Kukmor assailant was on police books as extremist-minded person 30 October 2020, 13:14
- Teenager who attacked police station in Tatarstan did not go to local mosques 30 October 2020, 11:50
- Islamist teenager shot dead after attacking police station in Russia's Tatarstan 30 October 2020, 11:08
- Patriarch Kirill condemns Nice attack disguised by religious slogans 29 October 2020, 20:07
- Muslims holding unauthorized protest outside French embassy in Moscow 29 October 2020, 17:57
- Kremlin comments on Chechen authorities' plans to pay 100,000 rubles for naming newborns after Prophet Muhammad 29 October 2020, 16:34
- Putin calls attack at Nice church 'cynical, brutal crime,' says Russians share French people's anger, grief - Kremlin 29 October 2020, 16:33
- Religious affiliation in Russia in no way criterion for appointment, election to state posts - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:45
- Magazine similar to France's Charlie Hebdo impossible in Russia - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:35
- Unacceptable to insult feelings of believers, kill people for religious reasons - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:32
- Kremlin describes Nice church attack as 'absolutely horrific tragedy' 29 October 2020, 14:30
- Kadyrov describes his words addressed to Macron as gesture of Muslim, not politician 29 October 2020, 10:00
- Former schema-hegumen Sergy refuses to go to questionings for fear of contracting Covid-19 28 October 2020, 20:07
- Russian Orthodox Church shocked by changes at Istanbul's Chora Monastery recently turned into mosque 28 October 2020, 20:02
- Prosecutors seeking 18 years in penal colony for head of Russian cell of Aum Shinrikyo 28 October 2020, 18:14
- Kantor reelected president of European Jewish Congress 28 October 2020, 15:12
- Kadyrov urges Macron to stop backing publication of Prophet Muhammad cartoons 27 October 2020, 18:20
- Russian court rejects appeal from Jehovah's Witness from Denmark on replacing remaining prison term with fine 27 October 2020, 18:14
- Russia has 1 mln Jews - FJCR 27 October 2020, 10:56
- Head of the Church of Cyprus recognizes OCU autocephaly 26 October 2020, 13:30
- Tikhanovskaya urges religious communities to support the strike 26 October 2020, 12:07
- Head of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Kirov was fined for about 6,500 USD 23 October 2020, 18:32
- Over 20 "caliphate builders" exposed in North Caucasus 23 October 2020, 12:38
- Russian Church concerned about possibility of illegal use of personal data 22 October 2020, 20:15