03 November 2018, 22:21
Poroshenko, Patriarch Bartholomew sign cooperation agreement
Kiev, November 3, Interfax - President Pyotr Porosnenko and Patriarch Bartholomew signed an agreement on cooperation between Ukraine and the Patriarchate of Constantinople after a meeting in Istanbul on November 3, the Ukrainian president's press service told Interfax on Saturday.
The agreement forms conditions for "the granting of the [autocephaly] Tomos to proceed absolutely in strict accordance with the canons of the Orthodox Church," Poroshenko said at the meeting.
He called the day historical and thanked the patriarch for the warm "meeting filled with wisdom."
"I am sure the autocephaly decision will lead to the unity and unification of all Orthodox believers in Ukraine," Patriarch Bartholomew said after signing the document.
"I pray to God so that I visit you wonderful country again in the very near future," he said.
The agreement stipulates cooperation in creating an independent Orthodox Church in Ukraine, the president's press service told Interfax.
Under the document, the Ecumenical Patriarch shall grant a Tomos recognizing the independence of the Ukrainian church and hands it over to the leader elected at Sobor (assembly); the Ukrainian state will provide assistance with these processes.
The Ecumenical Patriarchate will set up a mission (effectively an embassy) in Kiev to represent its interests and foster relations between the Ukrainian Church and the Orthodox world.
These decisions are another step to receiving the Tomos whose grant is explicitly stipulated in the agreement, the press service said.
Now Ukrainian bishops are to gather for the assembly and elect the leader.
- Patriarch Kirill calls on believers to refrain from visiting churches amid coronavirus pandemic 29 March 2020, 20:09
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55
- Case of leader of Aum Shinrikyo group in Russia sent to prosecutor 26 March 2020, 19:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't plan to cancel Easter processions 26 March 2020, 16:25
- Russian Orthodox Church shows understanding of Sobyanin's advice not to attend service but says churches will stay open 26 March 2020, 15:08
- Sobyanin asks Muscovites not to visit religious sites 26 March 2020, 10:49
- Ukrainian monasteries will assign premises for Covid-19 patients 25 March 2020, 19:24
- FJCR closes all its synagogues in Russia 25 March 2020, 15:49
- Monastery south of Moscow thrown away dozens of dogs, police was told they miraculously flew away 24 March 2020, 17:40
- Lukashenko on coronavirus: If we get through until Orthodox Easter, we'll live 24 March 2020, 14:40
- Kyrgyz missionary contracts Covid-19 in Pakistan - Kyrgyz Foreign Ministry 23 March 2020, 14:40
- Georgian churches to let in max. 10 people in state of emergency - premier 23 March 2020, 12:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia's council postponed due to coronavirus 20 March 2020, 19:52
- Rabbi beaten to death in Dagestan 20 March 2020, 19:12
- Friday prayers cancelled in Moscow's mosques 20 March 2020, 13:33
- Tajikistan lifts ban on joint prayers in mosques 19 March 2020, 19:02
- Russian Orthodox Church does not exclude usage of plastic spoons for Communion 18 March 2020, 16:43
- Chief rabbi of Russia closes his synagogue 18 March 2020, 14:12
- Russian Synod orders increased sanitary measures at all dioceses with coronavirus 18 March 2020, 10:40
- Cathedral of Christ the Savior receives bomb threat on Tue 18 March 2020, 10:38
- Russian Church introduces exceptional measures for coronavirus prevention 17 March 2020, 19:00
- Leader of Pentecostals considers coronavirus a sign of coming Apocalypse 17 March 2020, 14:46
- Moscow's stance on Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem deals with reinstatement of Russia's property rights - Russian Embassy in Israel 17 March 2020, 11:12
- Rectors of Moscow churches will help elderly parishioners to buy and deliver food to their homes 17 March 2020, 11:08
- Russian Orthodox Church won't abolish liturgies even if coronavirus spreads 17 March 2020, 11:05
- Russian Church urges not to panic because of coronavirus 17 March 2020, 11:03
- Moldova closes churches 13 March 2020, 19:56
- Russian Jews reject idea that coronavirus sign of world ending 13 March 2020, 16:22