03 November 2018, 22:21
Poroshenko, Patriarch Bartholomew sign cooperation agreement
Kiev, November 3, Interfax - President Pyotr Porosnenko and Patriarch Bartholomew signed an agreement on cooperation between Ukraine and the Patriarchate of Constantinople after a meeting in Istanbul on November 3, the Ukrainian president's press service told Interfax on Saturday.
The agreement forms conditions for "the granting of the [autocephaly] Tomos to proceed absolutely in strict accordance with the canons of the Orthodox Church," Poroshenko said at the meeting.
He called the day historical and thanked the patriarch for the warm "meeting filled with wisdom."
"I am sure the autocephaly decision will lead to the unity and unification of all Orthodox believers in Ukraine," Patriarch Bartholomew said after signing the document.
"I pray to God so that I visit you wonderful country again in the very near future," he said.
The agreement stipulates cooperation in creating an independent Orthodox Church in Ukraine, the president's press service told Interfax.
Under the document, the Ecumenical Patriarch shall grant a Tomos recognizing the independence of the Ukrainian church and hands it over to the leader elected at Sobor (assembly); the Ukrainian state will provide assistance with these processes.
The Ecumenical Patriarchate will set up a mission (effectively an embassy) in Kiev to represent its interests and foster relations between the Ukrainian Church and the Orthodox world.
These decisions are another step to receiving the Tomos whose grant is explicitly stipulated in the agreement, the press service said.
Now Ukrainian bishops are to gather for the assembly and elect the leader.
- Patriarch's commission head fears Russian population to comprise of Muslims, Chinese in 30 yrs 26 March 2019, 17:01
- Russian Orthodox Church expects Ukrainian authorities not to force believers to join new church following elections 26 March 2019, 15:53
- Cairo to host int'l conference devoted to Primakov's 90th birthday 25 March 2019, 17:12
- Media review: "To pin the blame on someone else" 25 March 2019, 10:42
- UOC sues Ukrainian culture ministry over name change 22 March 2019, 19:24
- Metropolitan Onufry calls on Poroshenko to put end to takeovers of UOC churches 22 March 2019, 15:06
- ECHR finds no grounds for introduction of interim measures in lawsuit filed by banned organization Jehovah's Witnesses 21 March 2019, 15:57
- Two U.S. Mormons convicted in Kuban for illegal missionary activities leave Russia 20 March 2019, 20:56
- FSB suppresses operation of Jehovah's Witnesses group in Yalta 20 March 2019, 19:09
- Metropolitan Onufry believes Ukrainian Orthodox Church will overcome the schism 19 March 2019, 10:55
- Many-thousand processions with cross held in Ukraine 19 March 2019, 10:53
- Russian embassy to Estonia condemns anti-Semitic verbal attack on chief rabbi 19 March 2019, 10:47
- Erdogan invited to inaugurate Crimean mosque - Putin (updated) 19 March 2019, 10:40
- C. Asia's most unique mosque to be built in Astana - Nazarbayev 18 March 2019, 18:30
- Estonian PM calls chief rabbi to express support, condemns anti-Semitic verbal attack on him 18 March 2019, 11:05
- Georgian president calls on Armenian Church to change its mind regarding subordination of Abkhazian parishes 15 March 2019, 17:34
- Russian Culture Ministry suggests discussing future of Spaso-Andronikov Monastery in commission for liaison between Church and museum community 15 March 2019, 15:36
- Position on transfer of Spaso-Andronikov Monastery to Russian Orthodox Church unformed, presence of museum objects needs to be taken into account - Peskov 15 March 2019, 15:33
- Patriarch asking State Property Management Agency to give Spaso-Andronikov Monastery to Russian Orthodox Church 15 March 2019, 15:26
- Terror attack in New Zealand shocks with its cruelty and cynicism - Putin 15 March 2019, 11:45
- Irkutsk shamans pay 3,000 rubles fine for sacrificing camels 'to strengthen Russia' 14 March 2019, 18:20
- Greek Church again postpones issue of recognition of Orthodox Church of Ukraine 14 March 2019, 18:17
- UN calls on Ukrainian authorities to observe rights of Ukrainian Orthodox Church flock 14 March 2019, 17:59
- Some 25% of Russians worshiping Orthodoxy keep fasts – poll 13 March 2019, 14:06
- Putin donates money for icon for Russian Armed Forces' main cathedral – Peskov 13 March 2019, 12:54
- Ukraine's Constitutional Court refuses to consider legality of Rada decision to support autocephaly tomos 13 March 2019, 12:12
- Poroshenko promised Patriarchate of Constantinople Ukrainian property in exchange for autocephaly tomos (updated) 12 March 2019, 14:44
- The Russian Orthodox Church does not strive to set up a copy of Russian Orthodoxy in Asia - expert 12 March 2019, 13:47
- Russia's level of anti-Semitism is 'conditionally harmless' - FJCR president 11 March 2019, 12:50
- Krasnodar Territorial Court upholds deportation of 2 U.S. religious missionaries from Russia 07 March 2019, 16:53