08 November 2018, 10:59
Moscow Patriarchate says Church Poroshenko offered to return 'home to Russia' consists of Ukrainian citizens
Moscow, November 8, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate is concerned about President Pyotr Poroshenko's words that "the Russian Orthodox Church" has nothing to do in Ukraine and sees in this the Ukrainian authorities' plans to settle the church dispute by force.
"The Ukrainian president's words are obviously at odds with his assurances that while creating the so-called common local church the right of choice of each believer will be ensured, and no one will force anyone to join it by force," secretary of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations for Inter-Orthodox Relations Archpriest Igor Yakimchuk told Interfax.
As reported, at an international conference in Kiev on Wednesday Poroshenko cited Russian President Vladimir Putin's alleged words that Russia rests on two pillars, that is, the Russian Orthodox Church and nuclear weapons.
"Is it normal when the Russian Security Council led by Putin immediately meets with one question on the agenda: how to protect the Russian Orthodox Church in Ukraine?" the Ukrainian president asked himself a question and answered himself: "My dear, you have nothing to do here. Your church has nothing to do here, your armed forces have nothing to do here, your weapons have nothing to do here. Go home, to Russia."
"The multimillion Ukrainian Orthodox Church, which Mr. Poroshenko wants to oust from the country, almost completely consists of Ukrainian citizens," the spokesman of the Russian Orthodox Church's Synodal Department said.
"Ukraine is their home, and none of them is going to leave it on their own wish. And this means that the president's wish can be fulfilled exclusively by force," the priest said.
- The Russian Church about return of “Russian exarchate” parishes under its jurisdiction: a long way is almost accomplished 14 September 2019, 21:29
- Head of "Russian exarchate" of Constantinople joins Russian Orthodox Church 14 September 2019, 18:44
- Imam Velitov, convicted for justification of terrorism, leaves colony in Astrakhan 13 September 2019, 16:52
- Ukrainian court freezes "Kiev Patriarchate" liquidation 12 September 2019, 20:25
- Priest Alexander Volkov dismissed from the post of patriarchal press secretary 12 September 2019, 20:22
- Orthodox Businessman Malofeyev to leave A Just Russia 6 months after joining it 12 September 2019, 17:23
- Common moral, ethical values of all religions in Russia ensure state stability of country - Putin 12 September 2019, 17:21
- Guilt of men charged with attempted murder of Imam Chumakov unproven - Ingushetia jury 11 September 2019, 10:53
- State Dept. announces sanctions against 2 high-ranking Surgut investigators over Jehovah's Witnesses case (updated) 10 September 2019, 18:48
- The Russian Church official call modern Russian men a "national tragedy" 09 September 2019, 11:56
- The Russian Church will accept communities of the "Russian exarchate" ready to join it 09 September 2019, 11:20
- Russian Orthodox Church to continue reunification consultations with "Russian exarchate" 09 September 2019, 11:00
- Russian Jews to unveil monument to Roma victims of Nazism 05 September 2019, 16:00
- Jerusalem Patriarch takes the side of Russian Church in the "Ukrainian question" 05 September 2019, 15:57
- Constantinople appoints head of "Russian exarchate" a metropolitan responsible for establishing new church in Ukraine 05 September 2019, 13:06
- "Russian exarchate" in Europe refused to subordinate to Constantinople 04 September 2019, 10:54
- Some 40,000 Hasidic pilgrims expected to attend Rosh Hashanah celebration in Ukraine 03 September 2019, 11:07
- ROC metropolitan denies Constantinople accusations of non-canonical actions of the Moscow Patriarchate in Southeast Asia 29 August 2019, 15:43
- World Union of Old Believers set up in Moscow 29 August 2019, 13:05
- Holocaust victims monument vandalized in southern Ukraine 28 August 2019, 16:58
- Monument to Ukrainian nationalists unveiled at Jewish cemetery in Lvov Region 26 August 2019, 19:45
- Poroshenko warns of ongoing attacks on Ukrainian army, language, faith 26 August 2019, 17:13
- Founder of Russian icon museum - among victims of helicopter crash in Greece 22 August 2019, 12:50
- Al-Assad asks for Russian language teachers in Syria to counter Western culture and Wahhabism - Russian MP 20 August 2019, 15:28
- Ukraine has made a great contribution to combating antisemitism - Netanyahu 19 August 2019, 18:19
- Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church ceases to exist 14 August 2019, 20:12
- Over 60% of Russians identify as Orthodox, 1 out of every 6 is atheist - poll 14 August 2019, 13:51
- Russian Orthodox Church offers "Russian exarchate" to join it preserving its statute and traditions 12 August 2019, 15:33
- Gay couple with adopted children can't return to Russia yet - rights activists 12 August 2019, 14:53
- Zelensky discusses Crimea, Donbass with Patriarch Bartholomew 09 August 2019, 11:58