12 November 2018, 18:41
Serbian Church Council denounces Constantinople's actions in Ukraine
Belgrade, November 12, Interfax - The Archbishops' Council of the Serbian Orthodox Church has criticized Constantinople's decision to rehabilitate the leaders of Ukrainian non-canonical churches.
"First of all, the Council regrets that the Patriarchate of Constantinople made a canonically unjustified decision to rehabilitate" the leaders of two "splinter groups in Ukraine: Filaret Denisenko and Makary Maletich," according to the Council's final document published on the Serbian Church's website on Monday.
Filaret was once defrocked and then anathemized altogether, and Makary was stripped of the apostolic succession as "the spiritual offspring of the sect of the so-called pseudo-saints," the statement said.
The Patriarchate of Constantinople and all other branches of the Orthodox Church should therefore consider "the Ukrainian issues" at a pan-Orthodox Council so as "to avoid, in the future, the temptations the holy Orthodox religion is now going through."
It was reported that in September Patriarch Bartholomew sent two exarchs to Kiev to prepare ground for the creation of the autocephalous church independent from the Moscow Patriarchate.
On October 11, the Synod of the Ecumenical Patriarchate reclaimed its rights to the Kiev Metropolitanate and abrogated its ordinance of 1686 that put this metropolitanate under the jurisdiction of the Moscow Patriarchate. It also announced the opening of a mission in Kiev, lifted an anathema from Kiev Patriarchate leader Filaret Denisenko, and recognized his organization and the Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church as canonical. In response, the Synod of the Moscow Patriarchate fully severed communion with the Constantinople Patriarchate.
- Jehovah's Witnesses group shut down in Khanty-Mansiysk District 15 February 2019, 22:17
- Ukraine annuls Bishop Gedeon's passport 15 February 2019, 22:14
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's Bishop Gedeon deported from Ukraine over his appeal to U.S. Congress - Russian Orthodox Church 14 February 2019, 16:40
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church bishop stopped at Kiev airport deported to U.S. 14 February 2019, 16:30
- No grounds so far to reconsider stance on Jehovah's Witnesses - Russian Justice Ministry 14 February 2019, 12:17
- Russian courts' ban on Jehovah's Witnesses founded - Justice Ministry 13 February 2019, 11:53
- Russian Orthodox Church's Asian exarch assumes office created in response to Constantinople's actions 13 February 2019, 11:46
- OCU bishop's visit exposes weakness of Patriarch Bartholomew's positions - Russian Orthodox Church 13 February 2019, 11:41
- Senior Athos clergy decline photo-op with new Ukrainian church bishop 13 February 2019, 11:35
- Jehovah's Witnesses not persecuted for belief, penalized for illegal activity - Lebedev 12 February 2019, 15:44
- Revision of Jehovah's Witnesses case possible in event of ECHR's decision - Lebedev 12 February 2019, 15:41
- U.S. authorities may punish Orthodox Church in America due to stance on Ukraine - Russian MP 12 February 2019, 13:44
- Expert speaks against imprisoning Jehovah's Witnesses in order not to create them a halo of martyrs 12 February 2019, 10:16
- Unknown individuals attempt to set church in Ukraine's Nikolayev Region on fire 12 February 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church calls on Athos not to have communion with Ukraine's new church 11 February 2019, 12:47
- Shoigu: 33 mln photos of war veterans to decorate road to church in Patriot Park 11 February 2019, 11:59
- Another 2 Athos monasteries refuse to host bishop of new Ukrainian church 11 February 2019, 11:55
- Athos monks moving to Russian monastery in protest against communication with new Ukrainian church 11 February 2019, 11:01
- Bishop of Ukraine’s new church was not allowed to Russian monastery on Athos 11 February 2019, 10:58
- Ukrainian Constitutional Court to consider constitutionality of law on changing subordination of religious organizations 11 February 2019, 10:43
- Hierarch of a new Ukraine’s church celebrates his first liturgy on Athos 08 February 2019, 17:48
- Jehovah's Witnesses implicated in 100 cases in Russia 08 February 2019, 16:49
- Jehovah's Witnesses' right to practice religion stipulated in Constitution shouldn't be restricted - HRC head 07 February 2019, 18:09
- Jehovah's Witnesses use prison term of the Danish citizen to blacken Russia - expert on sects 07 February 2019, 17:59
- Jehovah's Witnesses situation difficult, issue to be discussed - Peskov (updated) 07 February 2019, 13:27
- Organizers of Jehovah's Witnesses group in Mordovia detained 07 February 2019, 12:48
- Kazakh Senate speaker speaks against hijabs in schools 07 February 2019, 11:37
- Criminal case opened against Jehovah's Witnesses followers in Khanty-Mansi Autonomous District 07 February 2019, 10:27
- EU demands that Russia immediately free Danish Jehovah's Witness sentenced for extremism 07 February 2019, 10:24
- Lawyers appeal sentence of Dane convicted for organizing Jehovah's Witnesses community in Oryol 06 February 2019, 18:32