12 November 2018, 18:41
Serbian Church Council denounces Constantinople's actions in Ukraine
Belgrade, November 12, Interfax - The Archbishops' Council of the Serbian Orthodox Church has criticized Constantinople's decision to rehabilitate the leaders of Ukrainian non-canonical churches.
"First of all, the Council regrets that the Patriarchate of Constantinople made a canonically unjustified decision to rehabilitate" the leaders of two "splinter groups in Ukraine: Filaret Denisenko and Makary Maletich," according to the Council's final document published on the Serbian Church's website on Monday.
Filaret was once defrocked and then anathemized altogether, and Makary was stripped of the apostolic succession as "the spiritual offspring of the sect of the so-called pseudo-saints," the statement said.
The Patriarchate of Constantinople and all other branches of the Orthodox Church should therefore consider "the Ukrainian issues" at a pan-Orthodox Council so as "to avoid, in the future, the temptations the holy Orthodox religion is now going through."
It was reported that in September Patriarch Bartholomew sent two exarchs to Kiev to prepare ground for the creation of the autocephalous church independent from the Moscow Patriarchate.
On October 11, the Synod of the Ecumenical Patriarchate reclaimed its rights to the Kiev Metropolitanate and abrogated its ordinance of 1686 that put this metropolitanate under the jurisdiction of the Moscow Patriarchate. It also announced the opening of a mission in Kiev, lifted an anathema from Kiev Patriarchate leader Filaret Denisenko, and recognized his organization and the Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church as canonical. In response, the Synod of the Moscow Patriarchate fully severed communion with the Constantinople Patriarchate.
- Oryol court upholds sentence for Danish Jehovah's Witness 23 May 2019, 17:11
- Drunken monk stabs brother in Holy Trinity - St. Sergius Lavra 23 May 2019, 13:18
- Problem of new cathedral construction in Yekaterinburg should be resolved through dialogue – Kremlin 23 May 2019, 12:42
- Man arrested at protest against new cathedral in Yekaterinburg goes to ECHR 23 May 2019, 12:20
- Russian Foreign Ministry confirms support to Christian communities' role in Middle East 23 May 2019, 12:18
- Authorities give up plans to build church in Yekaterinburg park after VCIOM poll 22 May 2019, 18:49
- Nalchik mosque evacuated after bomb threat 22 May 2019, 17:33
- Teen suspected of setting fire to Assumption Church in Karelia found to have mental disorder 22 May 2019, 15:57
- Provocative behavior of migrants causes nationalism, anti-Islamic terrorism - Bortnikov 21 May 2019, 11:05
- Bomb threat at Dagestan Muslim Spiritual Council HQ turns out to be hoax 21 May 2019, 11:04
- Ukrainian embassy's 'Crimean Tatars' photo is actually Lodz ghetto Jews deportation photo 21 May 2019, 11:02
- Fence at church construction site in Yekaterinburg to be torn down for peace's sake 21 May 2019, 11:01
- Muslim board evacuated in Makhachkala due to bomb threat 20 May 2019, 19:18
- Patriarch Kirill wishes Ukraine's president Zelensky successes in uniting nation 20 May 2019, 18:44
- Zelensky's words on unacceptability of Ukraine's division based on language should also apply to religion - Lavrov 20 May 2019, 16:40
- President is not an icon - Zelensky 20 May 2019, 14:25
- Patriarch Kirill calculated that without abortions population of Russia will increase up to 166 million in twenty years 20 May 2019, 14:07
- Media review: "Two-headed hydra of Ukrainian schism and the world Orthodoxy" 20 May 2019, 12:22
- Russian Orthodox Church calls on new Ukrainian authorities to stop discriminating against Russian language 20 May 2019, 11:13
- Sverdlovsk regional administration to invite people to discuss alternative sites for church construction in Yekaterinburg 20 May 2019, 11:02
- Three more arrested after Yekaterinburg church construction protest 17 May 2019, 18:53
- Yekaterinburg authorities had dialogue with residents on church before Putin said poll needed - Peskov 17 May 2019, 18:51
- Yekaterinburg mayor to meet with group of protesters against church construction in public garden 17 May 2019, 13:42
- Thirty arrested in protests against church construction in Yekaterinburg 17 May 2019, 10:59
- Opponents of building church in Yekaterinburg hurl smoke charges near Moscow patriarch's residence 16 May 2019, 22:28
- Opponents of building church again meet in downtown Yekaterinburg 16 May 2019, 19:43
- Communications Ministry: 1,300 families give up TV for religious reasons 16 May 2019, 18:40
- Potential Dalai Lama visit needs separate discussion - Putin 16 May 2019, 18:38
- Yekaterinburg mayoral office agrees to hold independent poll on building church in city square 16 May 2019, 18:33
- Police report detention of further 70 protesters against Yekaterinburg church construction 16 May 2019, 18:19