12 November 2018, 18:41
Serbian Church Council denounces Constantinople's actions in Ukraine
Belgrade, November 12, Interfax - The Archbishops' Council of the Serbian Orthodox Church has criticized Constantinople's decision to rehabilitate the leaders of Ukrainian non-canonical churches.
"First of all, the Council regrets that the Patriarchate of Constantinople made a canonically unjustified decision to rehabilitate" the leaders of two "splinter groups in Ukraine: Filaret Denisenko and Makary Maletich," according to the Council's final document published on the Serbian Church's website on Monday.
Filaret was once defrocked and then anathemized altogether, and Makary was stripped of the apostolic succession as "the spiritual offspring of the sect of the so-called pseudo-saints," the statement said.
The Patriarchate of Constantinople and all other branches of the Orthodox Church should therefore consider "the Ukrainian issues" at a pan-Orthodox Council so as "to avoid, in the future, the temptations the holy Orthodox religion is now going through."
It was reported that in September Patriarch Bartholomew sent two exarchs to Kiev to prepare ground for the creation of the autocephalous church independent from the Moscow Patriarchate.
On October 11, the Synod of the Ecumenical Patriarchate reclaimed its rights to the Kiev Metropolitanate and abrogated its ordinance of 1686 that put this metropolitanate under the jurisdiction of the Moscow Patriarchate. It also announced the opening of a mission in Kiev, lifted an anathema from Kiev Patriarchate leader Filaret Denisenko, and recognized his organization and the Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church as canonical. In response, the Synod of the Moscow Patriarchate fully severed communion with the Constantinople Patriarchate.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14