12 November 2018, 18:41
Serbian Church Council denounces Constantinople's actions in Ukraine
Belgrade, November 12, Interfax - The Archbishops' Council of the Serbian Orthodox Church has criticized Constantinople's decision to rehabilitate the leaders of Ukrainian non-canonical churches.
"First of all, the Council regrets that the Patriarchate of Constantinople made a canonically unjustified decision to rehabilitate" the leaders of two "splinter groups in Ukraine: Filaret Denisenko and Makary Maletich," according to the Council's final document published on the Serbian Church's website on Monday.
Filaret was once defrocked and then anathemized altogether, and Makary was stripped of the apostolic succession as "the spiritual offspring of the sect of the so-called pseudo-saints," the statement said.
The Patriarchate of Constantinople and all other branches of the Orthodox Church should therefore consider "the Ukrainian issues" at a pan-Orthodox Council so as "to avoid, in the future, the temptations the holy Orthodox religion is now going through."
It was reported that in September Patriarch Bartholomew sent two exarchs to Kiev to prepare ground for the creation of the autocephalous church independent from the Moscow Patriarchate.
On October 11, the Synod of the Ecumenical Patriarchate reclaimed its rights to the Kiev Metropolitanate and abrogated its ordinance of 1686 that put this metropolitanate under the jurisdiction of the Moscow Patriarchate. It also announced the opening of a mission in Kiev, lifted an anathema from Kiev Patriarchate leader Filaret Denisenko, and recognized his organization and the Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church as canonical. In response, the Synod of the Moscow Patriarchate fully severed communion with the Constantinople Patriarchate.
- Metropolitan Hilarion doesn't consider Moscow "the third Rome" 15 July 2019, 12:10
- Church split isn't matter for Russian, Ukrainian presidents - Russian Orthodox Church 15 July 2019, 11:16
- Rights of sexual minorities should not be violated in Russia – Moskalkova 10 July 2019, 14:10
- Priest's statement that women are less smart than men is nonsense - Russian human rights council head 10 July 2019, 11:50
- Holy Synod of Russian Church speaks out against split of Serbian Church in Montenegro 10 July 2019, 10:38
- Lukashenko denies rumors of secret talks he might have with Putin in Valaam 09 July 2019, 12:25
- Almost half of Jewish Europeans considering emigrating over antisemitism - report 08 July 2019, 18:41
- Women less smart than men - head of patriarch's commission 08 July 2019, 17:46
- Filaret 'Moscow's ally' - Orthodox Church of Ukraine 08 July 2019, 17:44
- Georgian priests demand square before parliament be cleared of protesters' banners 08 July 2019, 13:19
- Georgian LGBT community calls off Tbilisi action due to threats 08 July 2019, 12:06
- Putin speaks of pope's favorite writers, Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy 05 July 2019, 13:20
- Pope hails Russia's efforts to protect Christian holy places in Syria – Peskov 05 July 2019, 13:09
- Putin, Pope Francis did not discuss latter's visit to Russia – Peskov 05 July 2019, 13:07
- Putin talked with Pope Francis about protection of Christians in Syria 05 July 2019, 12:14
- Names of submariners killed in Barents Sea to be perpetuated on Kronstadt Naval Cathedral's walls 04 July 2019, 18:28
- Russian Orthodox Church hails contacts between Putin, Vatican 04 July 2019, 17:54
- Putin - Pope Francis meeting lasted exactly one hour (updated) 04 July 2019, 17:06
- Inviting Pope to Russia not to be raised during Putin's visit to Vatican - Ushakov 03 July 2019, 18:22
- Putin in Vatican to discuss restoration of Christian shrines in Syria, Roman Church's humanitarian projects in Donbas, Venezuela 03 July 2019, 18:20
- Filaret declares tomos granted by Constantinople to Ukraine false 02 July 2019, 18:03
- Peskov unaware whether Putin plans to invite Pope to Russia 01 July 2019, 14:39
- The Russian Orthodox Church condemns the law on bishops’ citizenship adopted in Latvia 01 July 2019, 13:29
- Soil from royal family burial site in Yekaterinburg to be re-examined - Memorial of Romanovs foundation 01 July 2019, 10:55
- Elton John musical genius but errs on issue of attitudes towards gays in Russia – Putin 01 July 2019, 10:39
- Russian Orthodox Church offers to set up the rights of embryo in legislation 28 June 2019, 17:35
- Ukraine is turning in Waterloo for Patriarch Bartholomew, the Russian church official believes 28 June 2019, 17:32
- Russian Orthodox Church can change its statute to include Russian exarchate of Constantinople 28 June 2019, 14:12
- Synod of Ukraine's new church deprives Filaret of right to run Kiev Diocese 24 June 2019, 17:53
- Underground church discovered in Moldavia 24 June 2019, 17:49