12 November 2018, 18:41
Serbian Church Council denounces Constantinople's actions in Ukraine
Belgrade, November 12, Interfax - The Archbishops' Council of the Serbian Orthodox Church has criticized Constantinople's decision to rehabilitate the leaders of Ukrainian non-canonical churches.
"First of all, the Council regrets that the Patriarchate of Constantinople made a canonically unjustified decision to rehabilitate" the leaders of two "splinter groups in Ukraine: Filaret Denisenko and Makary Maletich," according to the Council's final document published on the Serbian Church's website on Monday.
Filaret was once defrocked and then anathemized altogether, and Makary was stripped of the apostolic succession as "the spiritual offspring of the sect of the so-called pseudo-saints," the statement said.
The Patriarchate of Constantinople and all other branches of the Orthodox Church should therefore consider "the Ukrainian issues" at a pan-Orthodox Council so as "to avoid, in the future, the temptations the holy Orthodox religion is now going through."
It was reported that in September Patriarch Bartholomew sent two exarchs to Kiev to prepare ground for the creation of the autocephalous church independent from the Moscow Patriarchate.
On October 11, the Synod of the Ecumenical Patriarchate reclaimed its rights to the Kiev Metropolitanate and abrogated its ordinance of 1686 that put this metropolitanate under the jurisdiction of the Moscow Patriarchate. It also announced the opening of a mission in Kiev, lifted an anathema from Kiev Patriarchate leader Filaret Denisenko, and recognized his organization and the Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church as canonical. In response, the Synod of the Moscow Patriarchate fully severed communion with the Constantinople Patriarchate.
- Patriarch Kirill grants request to retire of Metropolitan Juvenaly 14 April 2021, 18:12
- Influx of migrants contributing to emergence of hotbeds of interfaith tensions in Crimea - Patrushev 14 April 2021, 17:25
- Jehovah's Witnesses cell busted in Russia's Tula 14 April 2021, 12:21
- Yekaterinburg Diocese says nuns, lay sisters from closed Sredneuralsky Convent may choose any of its convents 14 April 2021, 10:51
- Nuns leaving Sredneuralsky Convent, diocese reps sealing off premises 14 April 2021, 10:46
- Court orders residents of Sredneuralsky Convent to leave its premises 14 April 2021, 10:40
- Russian FM speaks of important global role of Russian Orthodox Church, supports its initiatives 08 April 2021, 18:02
- Court of appeals declines to soften sentence given to leader of Aum Shinrikyo's Russian cell 08 April 2021, 10:00
- Russian man charged with organizing erotic photo shoot in UAE facing at least 6 months in prison 05 April 2021, 18:16
- Moscow court keeps former Urals schema monk Sergy in custody 05 April 2021, 17:55
- Presumed supporter of Ukrainian nationalists detained in Barnaul confesses to plotting to blow up mosque – FSB 02 April 2021, 17:53
- The FJCR official calls "the oldest manuscript" of Torah a fake 02 April 2021, 10:00
- St. Petersburg court bans mobile app of Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia 01 April 2021, 10:00
- Serial destroyer of angel sculptures detained in St. Petersburg 31 March 2021, 13:31
- Abortions in Russia dropped almost 40% over past 5 years 31 March 2021, 10:00
- Putin pledges to prevent foreign interethnic conflicts from spilling over into Russia 30 March 2021, 16:01
- Polarized opinions on acceptability of in vitro fertilization observed in Russian Orthodox Church 30 March 2021, 10:00
- Russian Jews launch a project Be free through vaccination 26 March 2021, 11:28
- Patriarch Kirill stresses importance of ensuring life without upheavals at memorial service on 220th anniversary of Emperor Pavel I's murder 25 March 2021, 10:00
- Jewish publishing house refuses to participate in a book fair as it falls on Passover 23 March 2021, 18:53
- Islamic radicals intensifying activity in Urals due to uncontrolled immigration - Patrushev 23 March 2021, 17:51
- Security Council secretary calls West's aspiration to push its norms, ideals, reforms on Russia dangerous 23 March 2021, 17:13
- A Muslim woman from the Moscow Region searches for a second wife for her husband 22 March 2021, 16:45
- Pashinyan believes revolution in Armenia was based on Christian values 22 March 2021, 13:55
- FBK lawyer Sobol attends church service in violation of conditions of her house arrest 22 March 2021, 10:00
- Yakut shaman Gabyshev found insane 19 March 2021, 13:57
- Memorial to Holocaust victims unveiled at Israeli embassy in Moscow 18 March 2021, 09:31
- Resident of St. Petersburg beats a muscovite to death as he took him for devilry 16 March 2021, 18:55
- Moscow Jewish museum organizes an exhibition about the Holocaust in PACE 16 March 2021, 14:28
- One in 8 Russians plan to observe Lent this year - poll 16 March 2021, 10:00