13 November 2018, 16:59
Chernigov clergy remain committed to canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church
Kiev, November 13, Interfax - The clergy of the Chernigov Diocese of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church have declared their unanimous support for Metropolitan Onufry of Kiev and rejected the establishment by the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople of a "unified local church" independent of the Moscow Patriarchate in Ukraine as unacceptable.
The diocese said on its website that meetings chaired by Metropolitan Amvrosy of Chernigov and Novgorod-Siversky have been held in the Gorodnya, Mena, Snovsk, Koryukovka, Kulikovka, Chernigov, Kozelets, and Oster church districts.
"The priests unanimously testified to their fidelity to the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church and its primate, His Holiness Metropolitan Onufry, and spoke in favor of preserving the current status of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church," it said.
Earlier, clergy in the Sumy and Dnepropetrovsk regions and in the Lugansk, Zhitomir, Kharkov, Poltava, Zaporozhye, Odessa, Kherson, Rovno, Kirovograd, and other dioceses reaffirmed their support for the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church.
On October 11, the Constantinople Patriarchate's Synod in Istanbul abolished its 1686 decree handing the Kiev Metropolitanate over to Moscow, announced the creation of a mission in Kiev, and rehabilitated the leaders of self-proclaimed Orthodox churches in Ukraine. The Moscow Patriarchate's Synod responded by severing ties with Constantinople.
Ukrainian President Pyotr Poroshenko will discuss the establishment of a unified local church at a meeting with the Ukrainian Orthodox Church episcopate arranged at the president's request on Tuesday.
Ukrainian media reported last weekend that the heads of two uncanonical Ukrainian churches, Filaret Denisenko and Makary Maletich, had recused themselves from the election of the head of the new church.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14