13 November 2018, 21:27
Poroshenko phones Metropolitan Onufry, surprised why archbishops did not come - source
Moscow, November 13, Interfax - During a meeting of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church (UOC) archbishops at the Kiev Monastery of the Caves on Tuesday, Metropolitan Onufry suddenly received a call from President Pyotr Poroshenko who said he was waiting for them in another place, a UOC source told Interfax.
It was reported that the UOC episcopate was to meet the head of state at the monastery this afternoon, but the president did not arrive, though he confirmed the venue in a telephone call with Metropolitan Onufry. The archbishops were surprised by the absence of the president who himself requested the meeting.
"Meanwhile, the president called the metropolitan and asked why the archbishops were not coming to him for the meeting," the source said.
Because the agenda concerned matters of the Church, not the state, the meeting should be held on the grounds of the church, the UOC leader said. He reiterated his invitation to Poroshenko to come to the monastery, but the invitation was declined.
Poroshenko and the bishops were planning to discuss the situation around the creation of an autocephalous church independent of the Moscow Patriarchate, a process in which the canonical UOC has refused to take part from the very start, seeing it as an interference by Constantinople and the secular authorities in the country's religious life.
In its resolution, the bishops' council pointed out that hundreds of thousands of UOC congregants pleaded with Patriarch Bartholomew not to legalize the schism under the pretext of creating the autocephaly. Their plea was ignored.
"Apparently, Mr. Poroshenko was aware he'd have nothing to say to this," Vladimir Legoyda, head of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for Church, Society and Media Relations, told Interfax, commenting on the president's no-show.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14