14 November 2018, 11:15
Ukrainian state to protect right to choose church jurisdiction - Poroshenko to Ukrainian hierarchs of Moscow Patriarchate
Kiev, November 14, Interfax - Ukrainian President Pyotr Poroshenko has assured a group of hierarchs of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Moscow Patriarchate) that the state will protect the right of clergymen and lay people to freely choose this or that ecclesiastical jurisdiction, presidential press secretary Svyatoslav Tsegolko said.
"He [Poroshenko] also said that the Ecumenical Patriarchate, on its part, guarantees the absolute canonical protection to the supporters of autocephaly in Ukraine," Tsegolko said on Facebook on Wednesday in comments on a meeting between Poroshenko and a group of top bishops of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church on Tuesday at the Ukrainian House, an international convention center in Kiev.
Representatives of a group of hierarchs of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Moscow Patriarchate) supporting an appeal to the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople regarding the granting of autocephaly met with the Ukrainian president at the Ukrainian House, he said.
Poroshenko informed the hierarchs of his talks with Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew, of an agreement between Ukraine and the Constantinople Patriarchate, and the latter's willingness to facilitate the organization of a unifying assembly, Tsegolko said.
"The bishops told the president about unprecedented pressure being put by Moscow on those bishops of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Moscow Patriarchate) who are willing to join the establishment of a unified church," he said.
A meeting previously planned on Tuesday between Poroshenko and Ukrainian Orthodox Church top bishops was canceled. While an absolute majority of hierarchs of the canonical Church gathered at the Kiev Monastery of the Caves, where a conversation was expected to take place, Poroshenko changed his mind and did not arrive there but insisted that the hierarchs come to meet him at the Ukrainian House, which they refused to do.
Poroshenko still met behind closed doors with some hierarchs of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Moscow Patriarchate) at the Ukrainian House on Tuesday evening. Present at the meeting were at least three Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Moscow Patriarchate) hierarchs, including Metropolitan Aleksander (Drabinko) of Pereyaslav-Khmelnitsky, who has said publicly that he might join a church independent of Moscow that is being set up by Constantinople.
On October 11, the Constantinople Patriarchate's Synod in Istanbul abolished its 1686 decree handing the Kiev Metropolitanate over to Moscow, announced the creation of a mission in Kiev, and rehabilitated the leaders of self-proclaimed Orthodox churches in Ukraine. The Moscow Patriarchate's Synod responded by severing ties with Constantinople.
- Georgian president rules out 'Orthodox union' of Georgia and Russia 20 June 2019, 13:40
- Religion section editor of Dagestani newspaper suspected of financing terrorism arrested for 2 months 19 June 2019, 17:14
- Memorial in place of the second biggest burial of the Holocaust victims opened in Caucasus 19 June 2019, 17:09
- The Georgian Church official accuses US acting ambassador of trying to aggravate the situation around LGBT-action in Georgia 18 June 2019, 11:09
- Religion department editor of the Dagestani newspaper detained on suspicion of terrorism financing 17 June 2019, 11:30
- Russian Catholics don’t believe in islamization of Europe 07 June 2019, 15:30
- Leaders, members of 15 Jehovah's Witnesses cells held in Dagestan 07 June 2019, 10:55
- World will be better if people follow Bible, Torah, Koran - Putin 06 June 2019, 18:01
- Russian Catholics urge not to have illusions about possible pontiff's visit to Moscow 06 June 2019, 17:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church is not ready to welcome the Pope of Rome in Moscow 06 June 2019, 16:04
- Putin to meet with Pope Francis 06 June 2019, 14:34
- Russian Jews pray for “lifting up” the soul of the reposed wife of the Israel’s president 06 June 2019, 11:32
- Russia's Jews present country as example of tolerance for Europe 04 June 2019, 18:48
- Remembrance of Great Patriotic War protects Russia from xenophobia, anti-Semitism - Putin 04 June 2019, 17:48
- Putin attends unveiling of monument to heroes of resistance in concentration camps 04 June 2019, 17:41
- Russian Muslim community plays major role in combating extremist ideology - PM Medvedev 04 June 2019, 11:28
- Putin notes Russian Muslims' contribution to peoples' unity, fight against extremism 04 June 2019, 11:25
- Last Sobibor uprising survivor dies 03 June 2019, 18:17
- Kiev Patriarchate does not exist, never existed - Patriarch Bartholomew 03 June 2019, 14:54
- Constantinople cannot solve complicated religious situation in Ukraine - Russian Orthodox Church 30 May 2019, 19:45
- Putin congratulates Jews on Salvation and Liberation Day 30 May 2019, 19:00
- Protests against construction of churches plotted by outside forces - Russian Orthodox Church 28 May 2019, 18:42
- Church on site of first Russian settlement Fort Ross in U.S. to be restored 28 May 2019, 17:27
- Russian Orthodox Church to open churches in Cyprus, Sweden 28 May 2019, 17:26
- Yekaterinburg residents offer some 50 sites for church construction 27 May 2019, 18:37
- Patriarch Kirill in meeting with Mijatovic asks Council of Europe to control observance of believers' rights in Ukraine 27 May 2019, 18:35
- Churches in Russia to keep being built as long as people need it - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 18:14
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for end to discrimination against Orthodox Christians in Ukraine under new president 27 May 2019, 18:13
- Europe, Russia should turn over page of misunderstanding - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 17:18
- Patriarch Kirill tells secretary general of Council of Europe is concerned about human rights issues 27 May 2019, 14:14