14 November 2018, 15:36
Poroshenko had angry phone call with Metropolitan Onufry - media
Moscow, November 14, Interfax - Representatives of the episcopate of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church have told journalists about President Pyotr Poroshenko's telephone call with Metropolitan Onufry of All Ukraine during the Council that took place in Kiev on Tuesday.
Poroshenko called to invite the hierarchs to meet at the Ukrainian House (an international convention center in Kiev), even though it had been agreed before that the conversation would take place at the Kiev Monastery of the Caves, where 83 of the 90 hierarchs of the canonical Church had gathered.
"The telephone conversation between Metropolitan Onufry and the president turned out to be very rough. While the head of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church was calm, the president was clearly angry. He shouted into the handset so loudly that many of the hierarchs in the hall heard what he was saying," a participant in the assembly told the online publication Strana.ua.
The president demanded that Metropolitan Onufry back down on the issue of the Ukrainian church's autocephaly. "In reply to the head of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church's comment on the matter, there was an annoyed voice in the handset: 'What canons! What canons!'" the participant said.
The bishops and the president were expected to discuss the establishment of a "unified local church" independent of the Moscow Patriarchate, a process in which the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church has refused to participate from the start, seeing this as interference in religious affairs by the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople and the secular authorities.
- Oryol court upholds sentence for Danish Jehovah's Witness 23 May 2019, 17:11
- Drunken monk stabs brother in Holy Trinity - St. Sergius Lavra 23 May 2019, 13:18
- Problem of new cathedral construction in Yekaterinburg should be resolved through dialogue – Kremlin 23 May 2019, 12:42
- Man arrested at protest against new cathedral in Yekaterinburg goes to ECHR 23 May 2019, 12:20
- Russian Foreign Ministry confirms support to Christian communities' role in Middle East 23 May 2019, 12:18
- Authorities give up plans to build church in Yekaterinburg park after VCIOM poll 22 May 2019, 18:49
- Nalchik mosque evacuated after bomb threat 22 May 2019, 17:33
- Teen suspected of setting fire to Assumption Church in Karelia found to have mental disorder 22 May 2019, 15:57
- Provocative behavior of migrants causes nationalism, anti-Islamic terrorism - Bortnikov 21 May 2019, 11:05
- Bomb threat at Dagestan Muslim Spiritual Council HQ turns out to be hoax 21 May 2019, 11:04
- Ukrainian embassy's 'Crimean Tatars' photo is actually Lodz ghetto Jews deportation photo 21 May 2019, 11:02
- Fence at church construction site in Yekaterinburg to be torn down for peace's sake 21 May 2019, 11:01
- Muslim board evacuated in Makhachkala due to bomb threat 20 May 2019, 19:18
- Patriarch Kirill wishes Ukraine's president Zelensky successes in uniting nation 20 May 2019, 18:44
- Zelensky's words on unacceptability of Ukraine's division based on language should also apply to religion - Lavrov 20 May 2019, 16:40
- President is not an icon - Zelensky 20 May 2019, 14:25
- Patriarch Kirill calculated that without abortions population of Russia will increase up to 166 million in twenty years 20 May 2019, 14:07
- Media review: "Two-headed hydra of Ukrainian schism and the world Orthodoxy" 20 May 2019, 12:22
- Russian Orthodox Church calls on new Ukrainian authorities to stop discriminating against Russian language 20 May 2019, 11:13
- Sverdlovsk regional administration to invite people to discuss alternative sites for church construction in Yekaterinburg 20 May 2019, 11:02
- Three more arrested after Yekaterinburg church construction protest 17 May 2019, 18:53
- Yekaterinburg authorities had dialogue with residents on church before Putin said poll needed - Peskov 17 May 2019, 18:51
- Yekaterinburg mayor to meet with group of protesters against church construction in public garden 17 May 2019, 13:42
- Thirty arrested in protests against church construction in Yekaterinburg 17 May 2019, 10:59
- Opponents of building church in Yekaterinburg hurl smoke charges near Moscow patriarch's residence 16 May 2019, 22:28
- Opponents of building church again meet in downtown Yekaterinburg 16 May 2019, 19:43
- Communications Ministry: 1,300 families give up TV for religious reasons 16 May 2019, 18:40
- Potential Dalai Lama visit needs separate discussion - Putin 16 May 2019, 18:38
- Yekaterinburg mayoral office agrees to hold independent poll on building church in city square 16 May 2019, 18:33
- Police report detention of further 70 protesters against Yekaterinburg church construction 16 May 2019, 18:19