15 November 2018, 12:11
Constantinople deceiving supporters of Ukrainian autocephaly - Ukrainian Orthodox Church
Kiev, November 15, Interfax - The story of pledging Tomos to Ukraine is deceptive, as in fact the issue is not about complete autocephaly, a Ukrainian Orthodox Church official said.
"It's not autocephaly, it looks like deceit," Archpriest Nikolay Danilevich, deputy head of the UOC Department for External Church Relations, said on Facebook.
"This situation reminds me of the story when Europeans who came to the newly discovered American land several hundred years ago exchanged knickknacks for natives' gold," he said.
The new church will get the status of an autocephalous archidiocese according to the model of the Orthodox Church of the Czech Lands and Slovakia. It will be run independently, but will receive myrrh and approval of elected heads from the Ecumenical Patriarchate.
"I don't know if this information is true, but if you trust it (and there are reasons to trust it), then what is the difference between the status of 'an autocephalous church' that is offered and the status of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church," the priest said.
If the rights stated in the article are called an autocephalous church, the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate is also autocephalous, he said.
"Then what is the difference in status? The Ukrainian Orthodox Church also received myrrh from the Russian Orthodox Church, and the choice of our head is also automatically blessed by the Moscow patriarch," Father Nikolay said.
Speaking about the provision stating that the head of the new "church" is to be approved by the Constantinople Patriarchate, the priest said the story with the most recent interference by Constantinople in the affairs of the Orthodox Church of the Czech Lands and Slovakia shows that "a candidacy of the new head may not always be liked on the coast of the Bosporus."
"A full-fledged autocephalous Church elects its head itself, and no one approves him," the priest said.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14