15 November 2018, 15:34
Unknown individuals attack St. Andrew's Church, transferred to Ecumenical Patriarchate, in Kiev
Kiev, November 15, Interfax - Molotov cocktails have been thrown at the building of St. Andrew's Church in Kiev, which was recently transferred to Constantinople's jurisdiction and which is now being refurbished, according to Yevstraty Zorya, the press secretary of the "Kiev Patriarchate".
"Molotov cocktails were thrown at the doors of the foundation house of St. Andrew's Church an hour and a half ago. There was no fire, no damage was done, no one was hurt," Zorya wrote on Facebook on Thursday.
The Kiev police said the attackers had thrown bottles containing an incendiary mixture at the door of St. Andrew's Church but that no fire occurred.
A security guard at St. Andrew's Church called the police at 8:05 a.m. and said that two unknown individuals had thrown two glass bottles at the doors of the church. "No one was hurt, and there was no fire," the police said.
The security guards said they had tried to detain the men, but the latter used gas sprays and fled.
"The site of the incident and the territory nearby are now being closely examined. The police are talking to witnesses and finding out which surveillance cameras might have recorded the incident and the malefactors. A legal assessment of the incident is underway," Kiev police chief Andrey Krischenko said.
Later, Zorya said on Facebook that a priest of the "Kiev Patriarchate", the custodian of the church, had been attacked with pepper spray.
St. Andrew's Church, an object of cultural heritage that belongs to the state, was recently handed over to the Ecumenical Patriarchate.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14