15 November 2018, 15:46
Ukrainian Orthodox Church warns of schemes using its bishops' signatures at unification assembly
Kiev, November 15, Interfax - The Ukrainian Orthodox Church said its bishops' signatures may be illegally used at the upcoming unification assembly in Kiev.
According to earlier reports, Metropolitan Simeon of Vinnitsa and Bar has allegedly received letters of authorization from 15 bishops of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church to meet with the president of Ukraine, which he brought when he came to meet with Pyotr Poroshenko on November 13.
"It's creative! It's probably even cooler than what Filaret did when he created the Kiev Patriarchate! But there were at least living people there, yes, they were lured to the assembly and deceived, and here they couldn't lure people, they just whipped up some letters of authorization!" Archpriest Aleksander Bakhov, the head of the legal department of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, wrote on Facebook.
He mentioned a recent scheme involving letters of authorization. A court found the actions undertaken in that case illegal.
"Fathers, be attentive, because you may be involved in something without even knowing it!" the priest wrote, adding that the department on religious affairs has samples of the signatures of all bishops of Ukraine.
"The assembly of the bishops of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church did not order any bishops to participate in or represent the Ukrainian Orthodox Church at any assemblies!" he wrote.
Golos.ua reported on Wednesday that the assembly where a church independent of the Moscow Patriarchate is expected to be created may be held on November 22. Yevstraty Zorya, the press secretary of self-proclaimed "Kiev Patriarchate", said that this information is not official and that preparations for the assembly are underway.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14