15 November 2018, 15:46
Ukrainian Orthodox Church warns of schemes using its bishops' signatures at unification assembly
Kiev, November 15, Interfax - The Ukrainian Orthodox Church said its bishops' signatures may be illegally used at the upcoming unification assembly in Kiev.
According to earlier reports, Metropolitan Simeon of Vinnitsa and Bar has allegedly received letters of authorization from 15 bishops of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church to meet with the president of Ukraine, which he brought when he came to meet with Pyotr Poroshenko on November 13.
"It's creative! It's probably even cooler than what Filaret did when he created the Kiev Patriarchate! But there were at least living people there, yes, they were lured to the assembly and deceived, and here they couldn't lure people, they just whipped up some letters of authorization!" Archpriest Aleksander Bakhov, the head of the legal department of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, wrote on Facebook.
He mentioned a recent scheme involving letters of authorization. A court found the actions undertaken in that case illegal.
"Fathers, be attentive, because you may be involved in something without even knowing it!" the priest wrote, adding that the department on religious affairs has samples of the signatures of all bishops of Ukraine.
"The assembly of the bishops of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church did not order any bishops to participate in or represent the Ukrainian Orthodox Church at any assemblies!" he wrote.
Golos.ua reported on Wednesday that the assembly where a church independent of the Moscow Patriarchate is expected to be created may be held on November 22. Yevstraty Zorya, the press secretary of self-proclaimed "Kiev Patriarchate", said that this information is not official and that preparations for the assembly are underway.
- Metropolitan Hilarion doesn't consider Moscow "the third Rome" 15 July 2019, 12:10
- Church split isn't matter for Russian, Ukrainian presidents - Russian Orthodox Church 15 July 2019, 11:16
- Rights of sexual minorities should not be violated in Russia – Moskalkova 10 July 2019, 14:10
- Priest's statement that women are less smart than men is nonsense - Russian human rights council head 10 July 2019, 11:50
- Holy Synod of Russian Church speaks out against split of Serbian Church in Montenegro 10 July 2019, 10:38
- Lukashenko denies rumors of secret talks he might have with Putin in Valaam 09 July 2019, 12:25
- Almost half of Jewish Europeans considering emigrating over antisemitism - report 08 July 2019, 18:41
- Women less smart than men - head of patriarch's commission 08 July 2019, 17:46
- Filaret 'Moscow's ally' - Orthodox Church of Ukraine 08 July 2019, 17:44
- Georgian priests demand square before parliament be cleared of protesters' banners 08 July 2019, 13:19
- Georgian LGBT community calls off Tbilisi action due to threats 08 July 2019, 12:06
- Putin speaks of pope's favorite writers, Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy 05 July 2019, 13:20
- Pope hails Russia's efforts to protect Christian holy places in Syria – Peskov 05 July 2019, 13:09
- Putin, Pope Francis did not discuss latter's visit to Russia – Peskov 05 July 2019, 13:07
- Putin talked with Pope Francis about protection of Christians in Syria 05 July 2019, 12:14
- Names of submariners killed in Barents Sea to be perpetuated on Kronstadt Naval Cathedral's walls 04 July 2019, 18:28
- Russian Orthodox Church hails contacts between Putin, Vatican 04 July 2019, 17:54
- Putin - Pope Francis meeting lasted exactly one hour (updated) 04 July 2019, 17:06
- Inviting Pope to Russia not to be raised during Putin's visit to Vatican - Ushakov 03 July 2019, 18:22
- Putin in Vatican to discuss restoration of Christian shrines in Syria, Roman Church's humanitarian projects in Donbas, Venezuela 03 July 2019, 18:20
- Filaret declares tomos granted by Constantinople to Ukraine false 02 July 2019, 18:03
- Peskov unaware whether Putin plans to invite Pope to Russia 01 July 2019, 14:39
- The Russian Orthodox Church condemns the law on bishops’ citizenship adopted in Latvia 01 July 2019, 13:29
- Soil from royal family burial site in Yekaterinburg to be re-examined - Memorial of Romanovs foundation 01 July 2019, 10:55
- Elton John musical genius but errs on issue of attitudes towards gays in Russia – Putin 01 July 2019, 10:39
- Russian Orthodox Church offers to set up the rights of embryo in legislation 28 June 2019, 17:35
- Ukraine is turning in Waterloo for Patriarch Bartholomew, the Russian church official believes 28 June 2019, 17:32
- Russian Orthodox Church can change its statute to include Russian exarchate of Constantinople 28 June 2019, 14:12
- Synod of Ukraine's new church deprives Filaret of right to run Kiev Diocese 24 June 2019, 17:53
- Underground church discovered in Moldavia 24 June 2019, 17:49